German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup Max is 9.5 months old took him to the vet yesterday for his limp, previously diagnosed as pano now not so sure, continues to limp on left front with no relief, vet advised X-rays and since he will be sedated for those he asked if I would like him neutered at the same time avoiding being sedated twice, I am planning to nueter him but not quite this soon, is there any real benefit to waiting or should I just go ahead and get it done at the same time, his X-rays are scheduled for April 5 and the neuter too but I can change my mind on that, thanks for any feedback, also breeder said to wait until 18 months so the male characteristics will be there but I think he looks pretty male...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
For the x-rays they usually give a quick reversing drug and don't even intubate (at least that is what my vet does) and more involved for surgery.

I would wait and not be messing with the testosterone which is associated with the growth plates closing. At the very least I would get info on THAT before I went.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I wouldn't neuter him any earlier than you need to. Note, IMO, you *need* to if you can't guarantee that he won't cause any unintended pregnancies. Djibouti is 4 & still intact but I don't have intact bitches & he only goes out under supervision. I planned to do him ~2, but he's so easy, so pleasant, that I just don't see any point in it. IF it's ever a health issue I will do it.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I had my guy done after he had surgery to fix his elbow - he was around 6 month old when he had to have check up X-rays and as he had to be knocked out for those we decided we might as well have him neutered at the same time seeing as he already had had a couple of anaesthetics at 4 month old and it saved me a little bit of money (which was nice as his surgery was quite expensive LOL)

He has grown just fine, has no other leg/joint issues and he's a big masculine looking dog. :)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i've never had my dogs neutered and i've never
had a problem with medically or socially.

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
It is interesting that in W. Europe neutering is not a standard procedure, yet they don't have to the uncontrolled breeding practices like we do here. Reason: people are responsible for their dogs.
I think in the US responsible people neuter their dogs but they would also be responsible when they wouldn't have their dogs "done". The owners who don't care are the ones causing the overpopulation of dogs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay we neutered Max spoke to the breeder before and she agreed, had 5 X-rays done, elbows and shoulders are good left hip is good right hip is not good, vet said total hip replacement or keep him lean and do salvage surgery in the future, have not talked to the breeder yet about this, he is guaranteed and she is very reputable, what I am wondering is what should I expect from her? Thank you

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
Depends on what your contract says. Some breeders will offer you a new pup and either ask your dog back or let you keep him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts