German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Best Pet X-pen that I've had my 14 wk old GSD use in lieu of the crate when I am gone for 4-5 hours for work. Mainly so she has room to move around more than her crate, but also she is litter trained and although she most often holds it until I get home, she has the option to relieve herself. I watch her on a puppy cam while I am at work and she has never jumped up on the sides. Until yesterday.

I was not at work, but out of the house for an hour and a half to find to her hanging by a toe!!! It was horrible. I heard her yelping and barking as I approached the house and knew immediately something was wrong. The X-pen sections are held together by a long pin and she got her toe wedged between the sections. I don't know how long she was like that but she was soaking wet with drool and urine and the pen was awry from her struggling. I freed her, and aside from from the awful experience she does not seem to be physically harmed. A little swelling and we'll be heading to the vet to get checked out. My poor girl, and I am wracked with guilt. I try to keep her safe and comfortable when I am not home, and this was a total fail. I cried all day.

No more of this X-pen!! Terrible design. She has a 42" crate; we'll have to make due until I can think of a better option. I hadn't heard of this happening before so I thought I would share, so others are aware of this possibility.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I’m very sorry that happened to your puppy and I hope she is ok. Rollo was in his x pen a lot starting at 8 weeks old and still does today at 7 months and we’ve had no problems

·
Super Moderator
5,863 Posts
Glad all is well now.How awful for you both!

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I've seen the same thing several times at shows. Thankfully there is usually someone there to to help the dog even if the handler isn't in the set up.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We're going to the vet today. She's limping a bit and her toe is still swollen. I am of course concerned for her shoulder joint. Fingers crossed there is no permanent damage.

·
4,485 Posts
I've watched a very young Bouvier pup actually climb out of an x=pen. We had a club member bring the pen to training so that she could bring her pup and keep him safe...next thing we know the pup is hanging around at our feet. She pup the pup back into the pen and we all watched him climb up and jump down from the top. Who'd have thought that would happen. So yes, x-pens are like play pens. Someone has to keep an eye on them. And thank you for the head's up! I hope your youngster will be ok.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
oh no!

Don't be too hard on yourself! Heck, you gave her a great set up and even watch her on video when you're not home. I have heard of many people using x-pens exactly how you were.

I do have one, but mainly use it to contain my puppy while I can keep an eye on him. As an example: I was weeding and did not need his *help* and put him in the ex-pen in the yard next to me. He chilled out with a chew while I worked. I also use it to block off areas sometimes, create quick blocking gates. But I just crate him when we're not home and at night. Luckily he settles down in his and just sleeps.

Update your thread after the vet visit. Give her some extra ear scratches.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh no!

Don't be too hard on yourself! Heck, you gave her a great set up and even watch her on video when you're not home. I have heard of many people using x-pens exactly how you were.

I do have one, but mainly use it to contain my puppy while I can keep an eye on him. As an example: I was weeding and did not need his *help* and put him in the ex-pen in the yard next to me. He chilled out with a chew while I worked. I also use it to block off areas sometimes, create quick blocking gates. But I just crate him when we're not home and at night. Luckily he settles down in his and just sleeps.

Update your thread after the vet visit. Give her some extra ear scratches.
Back from my Vet's office. She checked out ok. Yay!! Nothing broken or dislocated fortunately. Doesn't appear to be any soft tissue damage other than some bruising. Her toe is sore and swollen, so we have an Rx for Carprofen. And ear scratches duly given. :smile2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts