German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At class @ Petco today the trainer had two people wrap their leashes around their dogs right in front of the hips to correct pulling. One mellow golden was neutral about it. the other mixed breed fought it violently, biting at the leash and whipping around.

is this a techNiue anyone uses with success?

·
Registered
31,379 Posts
I have. But you better be sure of your dog. The last thing you want is to do it to a strange dog and have them turn on you.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the dogs hips haven't been checked wouldn't this potentially be quite uncomfortable if it was a dog with bad hips?

·
Registered
31,379 Posts
No. The leash is tightening around their abdomen. I use a botcher harness for tracking that does the same thing. It feels weird, could cause discomfort. Just if someone put a rope around your belly and tightened it.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I've done this teaching stand/stay. I've never done it to stop pulling though.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
At class @ Petco today the trainer had two people wrap their leashes around their dogs right in front of the hips to correct pulling. One mellow golden was neutral about it. the other mixed breed fought it violently, biting at the leash and whipping around.

You aren't thinking about doing it, are you CG ?

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK I just watched the Leerburg video about the botcher. Never heard of it. didn't look like what the guy did in class, on those dogs the hip stopped the loop from sliding off, so pressure was on the hips, where the Leerburg video had it right behind the rib cage.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heavens no I am not going to do this Steve Strom. the real reason I asked was because I was curious if I was judging this guy harshly for doing what he did today. I was not impressed

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Though I would add that I am not trying to judge anyone here for how they choose to deal with their dog. I was concerned that the technique was going to cause major problems with that mixed breed in class. So I was just trying to get a feel for if this is something widely used that I just don't know about or what?

·
Registered
31,379 Posts
Yes, I think you were judging him harshly. The leash is tightening around hte dogs waist. It's not harming him, it's just something he doesn't like. I've used it in a pinch. Most dogs don't react to it, they just stop pulling. But you wil have the dog that will spin back on you.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Heavens no I am not going to do this Steve Strom. the real reason I asked was because I was curious if I was judging this guy harshly for doing what he did today. I was not impressed
Lol, ok good. I tried a Boetcher a few times, with my dog it was just a distraction, the way the line rubbed his

And me being a clod doesn't help with it.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, I think you were judging him harshly. The leash is tightening around hte dogs waist. It's not harming him, it's just something he doesn't like. I've used it in a pinch. Most dogs don't react to it, they just stop pulling. But you wil have the dog that will spin back on you.

Okay, fair enough.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts

Tried it ages ago. Didn't find it worked well plus it's awkward and not possible in a hurry.

What I have found effective is dropping a loose loop around the dogs chest, just above/at the top of their front legs. There is no pressure but they seem to not like the sensation of the leash against their legs so they slow down.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tried it ages ago. Didn't find it worked well plus it's awkward and not possible in a hurry.

What I have found effective is dropping a loose loop around the dogs chest, just above/at the top of their front legs. There is no pressure but they seem to not like the sensation of the leash against their legs so they slow down.
Hm, can you post a picture of this, exactly where the loose loop is put on the dog?

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
Some people (Trainers???) just luv to reinvent the freaking wheel. I suppose as long as they are careful in choosing the kinds of dog and owners, they try "Crazy" out on ... it would work out OK???

I know one dog I worked with (Pitty) that if one would have tried that crap on .. one would best have booked a trip to the ER in advance! I used a SLL and he "still" was not a 4 minute fix! I was surprised but I was not hurt and neither was the dog. :)

Most likely that guy is friends with the "Alpha Rolling" puppies trainers?? Flat leash and Regular Collar a SLL or a Prong Collar and there "proper" use are "universal" they don't depend on a having a dog that has a high threshold for crap! Maybe that guy should add spinning three times in a circle while, swinging a chicken above your head and clucking like a duck, to his repertoire???

Some people just luv "gimmicks" lots easier then "out thinking there dog" ... some people should get dumber dogs perhaps??

Just my two cents. :)

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Some people just luv "gimmicks" lots easier then "out thinking there dog" ...
Yes! It does help if you put yourself in the "shoes" of a dog. But you need to educate on the dog as a the animal it is and not a live stuffed animal to dote and coo over.
To me the wrap around stuff falls in the same category as the retractable leash, car seats for dogs, front clip harness etc. and wait......and the ....oodles.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts