German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mods: If this is in the wrong forum, sorry!!

So today I get home for work and my DD was eagerly waiting for me at the door to show me what she found in the paper today. It was the comic strip Mutts. I found a copy and posted it below:

Now, here is the reason it is so special to us. 7 years ago we went to an animal shelter in the Netherlands and fell in love with this dog. We were told she was deaf, I told the AC guy I didn't care and wanted her anywhere. He actually tried to talk us out of it! But we were firm and said we don't care, she deserves a life like any other dog. So we brought her home. Now here is the kicker, her name is Skye!!

So my daughter, was just beside herself when she saw that comic, it was like the author Patrick McDonnell had written about our dog!!

Below is the real Skye.

Thanks for reading and looking!!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Awesome! I too have a deaf dog. She is an Australian Cattle Dog named Lily.

Here she is being a little silly on her crate:

Kristina

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Aww!! I love this story!! Both Skye and Lily are beautiful!
Our Chance that we took in last year from SC, he was on this board as a 3 year old in Gaffney- he is actually 11- is partially deaf, but the sweetest boy.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
That is such a oool story!!!!

Hats off to both of you for adopting a hearing impaired furkid!!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Very cool!! I remember you posting pictures of your pups not too long ago and I was wowed by Skye. She is such a unique looking dog. She has one of the sweetest faces I have ever seen.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally Posted By: ddShe is beautiful! Got more pix??

dd
Thanks!
I do, I will post a few more when I get home from work tonight!

She is an awesome dog, she does not have a mean bone in her body and loves everyone and everything.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally Posted By: ddWondering what her breed is? Dane mix?

dd
She is an argentino/greyhound mix. She was orginally owned by an older dutch couple. They even took her puppy school for deaf dogs. But she suffers from severe seperation anxiety and is destructive unless crated when home alone. The older dutch couple thought it was cruel to crate her so they took her the pound. She still has to be crated when we are not home but she does well in it.

And she is a really fast runner and adores the water. She has mostly the greyhound traits. She is a couch potato and hardly ever barks.

She is my big baby!!!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Quote:The older dutch couple thought it was cruel to crate her so they took her the pound.
Ok, I know I'm preaching to the choir, but the pound/death is better than a crate?! Sheesh!

I'm glad she got a loving home with you!

Kristina

1 - 12 of 12 Posts