German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a thread last week about my four month old Daisy having been on meds for a parasite. Here's the update:

After about five days on the medicine she had been improving, then took a bad turn for the worse. She was not keeping any food down, and having vomiting and diarrhea several times a day. We took her back to the vet, who ran more tests. Parvo, and every other disease they tested for was negative. X-rays showed that her colon was full of air, which, according to the coneheads who look at that stuff all day, is indicative of an obstruction. So, we did surgery.

When I talked to the vet after surgery, she said that there was quite a bit of grass stuck in the entrance to the small intestine, and her colon was inflamed, as well as her lymph nodes swollen. The grass was removed.

Now, a few days post-op, Daisy is doing excellent. Eating 2-3 cans of I/d prescription diet each day, gaining weight every day. Energy is back to normal, pooping good. She's on pain/inflammation meds and antibiotics.

It was expensive, but hopefully she's better.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Poor Daisy! I hope she makes a full recovery, post haste!

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I'm glad she's ok and hope she has a quick recovery

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope for a quick recovery. Fiona loves to eat grass, so this post was scary for me.
I asked the doc why dogs eat grass, and she said that some of it is behavioral, especially in breeds prone to obsessive behavior, and some of it is to create nausea. If a dog is trying to make itself throw up, it will eat grass.

About six weeks ago Daisy ate a dead mole in the backyard, and as quick as I could get to her she already had it down. I think she picked up a parasite from that, and instinctively she tried to make herself vomit by eating grass, couldn't puke, and the grass plugged her plumbing up. The vet said that it looked like just a plethora of different factors came together all at one time.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
That's good new. I'm glad to hear she will recover.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts