German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so glad I was looking out the window... if I wasn't there, I don't know what would have happened.

4 vehicles stopped in front of my house, never seen them on my road before. Some guy in the front vehicle got out, there is a bush in front of him so I can't tell what he's really doing for sure. Still peering out the window, curious what's going on. Sigurd looks confused. He starts walking INTO MY YARD with his hand out to Sigurd, looks like he's about to grab his collar, I go outside and yell "What are you doing!?" while he ignores me for a few seconds, trying to call him over, then he replies "Oh? This is your dog?" and goes away, with the 3 other vehicles with occupants laughing their heads off. No explaination, nothing. WHAT THE HOOT WAS HE DOING IN MY YARD TRYING TO GET MY DOG? I'm so unsure what just happened - was he playing stupid, trying to steal Sigurd?:confused:

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
People get their dogs stolen all the time around here. We NEVER let Sinister go outside without us. We are always with him. Dog thieves will come into your yard!

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Sounds like it!

How old is your dog?

I hesitate to think what Baron would react like if someone strange came into HIS yard!

·
Registered
174 Posts
That is so weird! I'm glad your dog is ok. I would probably report it to your local police though.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
And keep an eye out for the next few days/week as well! Since they know that he is there, they might come back.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I would also warn the neighbors as most probably have e-fences so the dogs are easily approached.
Scary for sure, too bad you couldn't get the license plate #'s.

·
Registered
118 Posts
That has run through my mind a couple of time. I put a lock on our gate, for now. Once she gets a little older I won't be to worried about someone coming and getting her out of the yard because she is weary around new unaccompanied people in her backyard. Case in point I got home and walked outside came around the corner and startled her. She got defensive for a split second until she saw it was me. But anyhow glad Sigurd is ok.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Woow. That's ridiculous. I honestly hate people sometimes. Glad you were able to stop anything from happening to your pup.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sigurd is a year old in a few days. So many people walk by our house, he doesn't seem to get fazed by it, truly, he was extremely cautious and confused. I am glad that Sigurd listened to us instead, and came to us when called.

I called the police to file a report, I was told an officer will be coming around sometime tonight to talk. I feel bad reporting something like this, maybe wasting officers time, but doing something like that is unacceptable. Even if it WAS a mistake, or a misunderstanding (could be looking for his lost GSD or something... benefit of the doubt...)...

I'll be keeping an extra eye on Sigurd for the next couple weeks...

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
There may have been dogs getting stolen in the area, I know there are quite a few missing, all pure-bred. Boxer, springer and a GSD...so every report will help. Were you able to remember the vehicles makes?

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Please remember that he might of been testing your dog to see if it would allow them to enter your property. Bad enough if they were attempting to steal your dog. But it could have been much, much worse.

Always report to the police anything that seems a little strange to you. Your tax dollars pay for your right to do that. And you may have some tidbit of information that helps save someone's life.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have heard that people will steal dogs and use them as carriers to smuggle drugs over the border. Once they are across, they cut the dog open and get their drugs. Horrible. I hope it's not true, but I would keep your dog with you at all times.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Around where I live all my neibors are family and we all own guns cuz we all hunt its in the country. If I saw someone I would have popped a couple shots in the air or over their head the I would ask what they want with my dog. I would hate to think if yu wernt watching. Good luck,

·
Registered
3,397 Posts

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
I live in the country and have a gun and would never "pop a couple of shots over their heads." For one thing you would be shooting toward the road. It is irresponsible to write a thing like that on a public board.

As for wasting the police officer's time. If someone came into your yard and started handling your four wheeler, would you call the police? A dog is property, valuable property. You are a property owner and pay taxes that pay for the police officers to have jobs to protect the community.

If your dog is stolen, attacked, killed, it would cause you much pain. Police officers cannot protect us if we do not blow the whistle and let them know when something is suspicious. Police officers can then only write up reports and tally up the damage, and then look for perps. Personally, I would prefer that the cops could protect us, rather than give us justice after the fact.

I would keep your dog safe, with you whenever possible for a while. If you have a relative, friend or neighbor near by, maybe you can park a crate there and take the dog there and crate him if you have to be gone for any length of time.

I have read horror stories about bait dogs. It would KILL me if one of my dogs had this happen to them. My belongings be damned, I need them not. But my dogs are my life.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Dont know if this had been posted in the past, but i heard this when it cam e out and it's a similar story
http://waronterrornews.typepad.com/home/2009/04/dog-murdered.html
This is a true story (both the book and the poor dog) this is the true life story of marcus luttrell and his rehab puppy who was gunned down by some ignorant thugs acting stupid. this is the reason I dont leave my dogs out where they can be dognapped when i am not at home. when i go to work they go in their boxes. I am just now considering letting my oldest dog stay out of her crate when i am not hom but not untill i attempt some trial runs for shorter times before i do.

BTW Luttrell is an american war hero from the navy seals. if you havent read the book i HIGHLY recommend it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Around where I live all my neibors are family and we all own guns cuz we all hunt its in the country. If I saw someone I would have popped a couple shots in the air or over their head the I would ask what they want with my dog. I would hate to think if yu wernt watching. Good luck,

shot in the air? how about shots in the knee cap. bet that will teach them;)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts