German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Max was out all day with kids in backyard. He was bleeding from his back paw. I put him in his crate. I had to go to doctors diagnosed with pneumonia even though I’m not allowed to get sick - I got home and looked at his paw and was a big hole above his toe. We are lucky the vet took us in right before closing. He sedated him and Max needed 6 stitches. Max had not been to the vet since corn cob surgery and never saw him so nervous. He was such a good boy but did not want to through those back doors when the vet tech took him. I had to walk with him poor boy.

I have no idea how this would happen. A big hole above his nail on top his toe. Anyone have any ideas???

I put max in his crate he is really zonked our and do not want him trying to get up the stairs.
see how this could of happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Nigel - he is downstairs in the dining room and missing him already. I’m hoping he is feeling better in the morning.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I hope both Max and you are feeling better! What happened to Max reminds me of my neighbor's dog. Molly had got her paw caught under the chain link fence and the injury looked like your Max's and also needed stitches. So, I think it may be possible that either in digging or chasing after something that Max got his paw either caught or ran against a sharp object. If you have a deck, it could even be underneath especially if he was chasing after a ball. I would look carefully around the backyard. It could even a sharp stick if he caught it right up against his toe.

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Marybeth. Max is feeling better he was a little tired from medicine but this morning he jumped in the kids beds for morning kisses. I can tell he was happy to be feeling good. Found nothing in back yard but still looking for something sharp it’s his back paw to do that hAd to be hard to do.

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Max woke me up during the night he was pacing and panting not putting and pressure on his paw. He was cowkicking his leg out. I was suppose to take his bandage off much later today but was afraid his paw was swollen so took it off. His toe looked good. Nothing swollen or red. His stitches all in. I put a leash on him to help him settle and have him his pain pill. It took about an hour for him to settle down. MAx wanted to go in his crate so he is finally resting now. I’m sleeping on the couch watching him. It was very nerve wracking feeling better his is comfortable.

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Any signs of infection? Does the wound look ok?

It looked a little red in the middle of the night but nothing oozing or swollen. I was afraid he was getting an abscess. The previcox kicked in and it made him comfortable and he was able to sleep. This morning it does not look red. Im think I let him do to much yesterday. So I’m going to make sure I keep him really quiet today. He did scare the crap at of me. He is doing so much better this morning. I’m so relieved.
Thanks Nigel! This is a photo of his toe last night and this morning. I take photos so I can enlarge them it helps me see if I’m missing something.
I think looks good this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Oh, that does look so much better! Max is doing much better than my neighbor's dog. Poor Molly was so sore for about a week. It was her back paw also - so maybe Max just caught or hit his paw even on a rock. At the rate he is healing, he won't need to wear that collar for very long.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Ouch! Poor guy.

Rusty hurt the area right above where his toe nail started. I think a stick stabbed him while running, weird accident. It was inflamed & red.

The vet recommended soaking his foot in warm epison salt water twice a day. It actually promoted fast healing.

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Marybeth and Courtney. No foxtails around in this area that I’m aware of. I read about foxtails on this forum- Summertime madness. The spiky balls we get but in fall. Glad to here rusty and Molly faired well. We have a slate patio so it’s possible he snagged the top of his toe on a pointed or jagged edge slate piece. He did slice his pad paw once on the slate patio but nothing to deep for a necessary vet trip. So thinking it could be a from the patio or possible stick or something stuck in the ground. I was worried it was from a small wild animal and then stitched up causing issues but all seems very good. We leash walked max in the backyard yesterday so he could not bound around the yard as usual. I also kept him downstairs so he can not jump on the beds. I gave his pain pill at night Instead of the morning. He is doing good just trying to keep it dry because of the rain getting some drizzles here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts