German Shepherds Forum banner

Would your dog survive in the wild?

• Yes, my dog would not only survive, but THRIVE!

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • Yes, my dog would probably survive, but not well.

Votes: 38 51.4%
  • No, my dog would never make it without the comforts of home - a dog bed, bowl of dry kibble, and bow

Votes: 25 33.8%
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a bit of a spin-off of a recent thread that got me thinking.

Say humans were wiped from the face of the planet, and your dog suddenly had to survive on its own. Lets assume for a moment that there is plenty of prey suitable to catch and eat should the dog prove capable and willing to do so. We are assuming here that it's natural wild prey running loose as opposed to the neighbors chickens in a pen (rabbits, squirrels, and larger prey should your dog be willing to form a pack and hunt as a pack). Water in the form of streams, rivers, ponds is available and shelter in the form of natural shelter is available.

Do you believe your dog would be able to successfully reintegrate into the wild and thrive?

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
dogless ATM but my previous dogs probably could've survived but would've taken awhile first and not sure they would've ever thrived without ice cream or some other snack lol.

My lab had an issue with always wanting to lick the wild life he found so pretty sure he would've had to get starving before he actually killed it and ate it.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I dont really know how to answer that question in the poll.

My GSD Sinister would most likely not survive because he really relys (sp) on me for food and I think he would go searching for a human.

My GSD/Husky mix would survive, he is very independent, adventurous, he doesn't need humans he just tolerates them. He is ready to pick a fight with any dog he sees and he is more aware of his surroundings. I'm sure he would eat the bunny in my yard if I let him.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont really know how to answer that question in the poll.

My GSD Sinister would most likely not survive because he really relys (sp) on me for food and I think he would go searching for a human.

My GSD/Husky mix would survive, he is very independent, adventurous, he doesn't need humans he just tolerates them. He is ready to pick a fight with any dog he sees and he is more aware of his surroundings. I'm sure he would eat the bunny in my yard if I let him.
Yes I wasn't sure how to make it a "multiple dog" poll. :eek: I have the same problem myself, my dogs would do differently.

Micah would probably survive, but not thrive. He is a homebody and although he has strong prey drive I don't know what the realistic chance is of him catching and eating enough to survive.

Audrey would definitely not survive, she's too much of a softie and her nerves are terrible.

Akira has EPI so she wouldn't make it.

Dante would do fine if he was a couple months older. As a pup, I doubt he'd make it without an older pack member to help and show him the ropes. He's young enough that he'd easily submit to an older dog and might get in with the pack easily as a pup.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Have you watched that show on the history channel about if people no longer existed? They had one episode that dealt with dogs. They thought that only one breed would exist as it currently does today because it is bred to not allow anything or any other dog near it's flock. I can't remember the name of it.

They did say that dogs would form packs and survive that way.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I think if people were not in the picture, my dogs would survive/possibly thrive. Otherwise their demise would be getting hit by a car or shot.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
LOL... :rolleyes: Im not to sure how he would do on his own. I'd like to think from just observing his personality he do ok. He is pretty glued to me but also has a strong prey drive. I think he would hunt (or attempt) for his own meals. He does in enjoy his raw meals!! :D Shealter he is pretty good at making little hidding spots in our bushes and under other objects. He is super smart and has a great nose. Now as far as defending his self he is not a fighter. He would just run!! I'm sure he would miss his human companion (as I will miss him).......

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Nope, Hondo would not. He can't stand the feeling of raw meat in his mouth. If I give him raw anything he makes funny faces, rolls it around in his mouth and then spits it out like I fed him his own doo. But, if I freeze it, he loves it and eats every bit of it. If he was in the wild and everything froze, then he might.

He does like raw (unfrozen) chicken feet though. So if all the chicken in the wild left their feet laying around, then he'd be fine.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I have seen that show, can't think of the name, but it shows what happens after man and how nature takes over.
I don't think my dogs would survive. Apache has too many fear issues thunder being the biggest. Kiya has seizures and needs meds. The pup may have a chance, she will eat anything that isn't nailed down.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
LOL, Jax, if I would have gotten to the second page, I would have saw you mention the movie.

----

There was a TV show about this. It modeled what would happen on earth if people just vanished one day. The first thing they said is that all the dogs and cats inside homes would die of starvation. Those pets who were outside, the little one would get eaten by the big ones. They also showed how fast nature would take over and all the manmade structures would deteriorate. I don't believe they addressed all the nuclear reactors melting down, though.

My dogs can't even catch a fat rabbit trying to get out of our yard. Maybe if they were hungry enough.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
My dogs would survive - they have a small army of highly trained cats do all the hunting for them. The cats catch the prey, and the dogs steal,errrImean, accept as an offering of peace and friendship the dead rabbit/squirrel/bird/mouse/duckling away from them for a nice snack.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Sparkles, my little girl, can catch her own food. However, she would have a rough time in the winter due to her having mostly hair, not fur, her coat would mat, and she would undoubtedly get killed by other dogs, so I don't think she would last long at all.

Jaeger has intense prey drive and just looooves the taste of animal hide, so I'm sure he'd be okay as far as food. His double coat and thick fur would serve him well.
He is not social with other dogs. And around here if he were loose I'm positive a bulldog would do him in quick. If he did somehow evade every fighting breed dog around here and get himself friendly with a few other dogs he would probably be okay. He's large, athletic, smart, fast and has all the right drives. However, just one fight with other animals could prove fatal, because he wouldn't have the access to down time and antibiotics, just one severe bite could get infected and end him.

While we're on it I'll mention I don't think many (pit) bulldogs would survive at all. Their ingrained fight drive would be their end. Not to mention they are not built to live out in cold weather. Think of it. How many breeds that would perish so fast because of mankind making them so dependent. Think is the flat-faced breeds.. English bulldogs would be the first to go. All of the small breeds (maybe some of the really rough terriers would survive to breed), the short coated (Pei's, Pits, Danes, etc), the show bred dogs who's coats need constant maintaining lest they mat and make the dog uncomfortable and ultimately unable to survive..

In the end I think, after many generations of dogs on their own, we would have dogs evolving with their habitat.

·
Registered
32,034 Posts
I will not vote.

I do not like the wording of number three.

Dogs do not need pampering to survive, but they will not survive in the wild, not for long anyways.

Arwen did for nineteen days. But she did hurt herself, and people were feeding her for the last seven.

Dogs are opportunists, they will dig in garbage to get food. But they cannot really manage in the wild, they are not feral.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i voted my dogs couldnt do it because i went with the majority. Riley may like to chase deer but he's actually terrified of them and he cant catch anything except a tennis ball to save his life and it usually has to be a slow rolled one. Shelby couldnt do it because she's afraid of everything. Shasta is only 6 months old and would want to play with everything if by some miracle she did manage to catch something. Now Zena.... Zena even with her hip issues could definitely do it. I have absolutely no doubts about her being able to do it.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I said no. While your scenario states there is plenty of prey, only one Hooligan has any true prey drive (i.e. has killed a lot of tasty critters), but he is older now and I don't think he could physically catch anything. Faith has caught a baby bunny and a baby squirrel but don't think she could survive on her prey drive. The other two Hooligans chase squirrels but have never come close to catching one.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Our guys have caught plenty of "supplemental nutrition" in furry or feathered form in their day, so I know they are capable of procurring food if they had to. Especially if, as stated, game is abundant.

Kaiser and Nara would be toast. Too old, Kaiser has 3 legs and Nara has no teeth and moderate HD. They wouldn't be able to fend for themselves. But the others would pack up and probably survive just fine. They wouldn't eat as well as they do now, that's for sure, but being healthy, active adults with good drive, good hunting instincts, good pack instincts (including many demonstrations of cooperative hunting) and good basic common sense they'd do ok and I expect would raise the young ones to do the same.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts