German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not sure where i should have posted this. Ok, I was supposed to get a Great Dane/Bloodhound mix rescue pup. Everything was great until she started showing some characteristics that I dont like. She was very testy with children and ALPHA behaviors that Arwen did not do well with so I opted against adopting her. Anyhow, I was talking to a local breeder (not for a pup) but because her daughter is in 4h and shows. Im looking for a good group. Anyhow, she mentions that she just had one of her pups returned due to the lady breaking her arm and her 92 year old mother not being able to care for her or something like that. They were going to send her to the GSD rescue.
They drove up and picked her up and have kept her for the past couple of months working on basic obedience and whatnot. so we get to talking about her. She is west german showlines. She is spayed, very much a pup still of course. Good with kids and other dogs. housbroken. She is about 10.5 months old. Im thinking of going to look at her and meet her dam Saturday. I will bring Arwen with me. I told the breeder I would like to have a few meetings with her, not just one to see if Arwen and the pup will get along and if we feel she will be a good match with us. I dont believe you can tell that with older pups/dogs with just 1 meeting. Do you think I should check her out? Her mom is OFA Good, Elbows normal. Same with her sire. Ive asked and will ask to see paperwork too. I dont want a high drive dog, just a nice temperment, family companion who loves the lake and whatnot and loves to play ball. oh, she is on grainless food as she has allergies to most grains. Any suggestions. Ive never adopted an older pup before but Im all for it. Ive had Arwen since she was 10 weeks old and she will be 4 in October.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
If I wanted another dog, had the time, and money than I would,lol Check her out the worst thing that can happen is she's not a good match for you...and of course if she is she could be snuggling with you and Arwen in a few weeks:)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would. I agree with you on the more than one meeting. My GSD Roscoe was the first dog I got that was not a puppy he was a year old and I have zero regrets. In some it was cool to miss all the negatives of a puppy and with an older it was kinda what you see is what you get to an extent.

Good Luck

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Im gonna check her out. It definately wont hurt. I will take pics and post some and spend quite awhile with them. We shall see what the outcome is.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I would go check her out too!

My only concern is that you will have 2 female dogs and a problem could arise when the pup matures.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I would definitely go check her out. She's at a great age that you will be able to see many of the traits she'll have as an adult. So if she is joyful, happy and confident, as long as YOU continue to train, socialize and work with her she'll only continue on that path.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I agree with the ^^^^^

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you. Im very nervous about 2 females. Arwen is the first female I have owned personally, aside from growing up with a few. Shes been a dream. Ive never had 2 females together but I know some of the risks, both females are spayed and Arwen is a calm/submissive and very friendly girl who generally doesnt react to other dogs. The only time shes ever even jumped was at a schnauzer who was literally trying to attack her and she pinned him with her paw. It didnt help when his owner was flippin out because she was worried about her dog being eaten. UGH!! But anyhow, I have 5 young daughters, we go on lots of walks, family outings, soccer and softball games, lake, farmers markets etc,camping. Im also a member of the GSDCGKC and so she would accompany me to some meetings and whatnot. His breeders husband is actually a K9 handler for a local police dept and they are active in showing in some "open" shows. Im definately checking her out. If we dont feel she is a fit for us, Im putting myself on their waiting list for a male.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I would have to agree with Maggie in her above post. You really won't see her real traits though until you get her to your home and she settles for a few weeks. But you have the right idea as to visiting a few times to see what she is all about.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I was concerned about having two males, with one of them being a Rott, but it was clear from the first meeting Apollo & Nova were going to get along. I think it was fate, since Apollo doesn't get along with many other males. I know usually it takes more time to know... but we (myself and the behavioral trainer who asked me to adopt Nova) had a very good feeling about that first meeting.

Anyhow, she mentions that she just had one of her pups returned due to the lady breaking her arm and her 92 year old mother not being able to care for her or something like that. They were going to send her to the GSD rescue.
The owners were going to send her to rescue, or the breeder?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The owners were going to send her to a rescue and told the breeder that. The breeder then hopped in her car and drove to Minneapolis from South of Kansas city to pick her up. She said they did just about everything with the dog that she told them upfront and educated them not to do. But she is back at the breeders now and is doing well I guess. I cant wait to meet her. I will post pics when I do.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
The owners were going to send her to a rescue and told the breeder that. The breeder then hopped in her car and drove to Minneapolis from South of Kansas city to pick her up. She said they did just about everything with the dog that she told them upfront and educated them not to do. But she is back at the breeders now and is doing well I guess. I cant wait to meet her. I will post pics when I do.
That's not right at all!! Didn't they sign a contract?? Either way, can't wait to see pics!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes there was a contract. They had her spayed, thats about it. I will have my camera, empty memory card and fresh battery. I will show pics whether or not she works for us.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here are some pics. For the first introduction, it went FANTASTIC. Arwen really didnt care at all whether the pup was there or not. They checked eachother out and the pup wanted to play. Arwen did for a bit, but then the pup bit kinda hard and Arwen gave her the correction. She totally backed off. I do have some concerns though. She was "bunny hopping" alot. Her hind feet pointed outwards. She didnt seem in any pain. She was wobbly though. Both parents were OFA Good but I do know that it doesnt completely rule out HD. Should I be concerned? They said that they dont think she has HD, that they think her joints are just still a lil loose as some pups do have until around a year. She is just now 10 months. Overall the pup is exactly what Im looking for. She was very good with my 19month old daughter and was social and very much a pup. Shes a doll! Oh, her allergy, she lost lots of hair when put on Wellness (not sure which one) but on Grain free (totw) she is fine. She is underweight (they are working on that) and loves to be groomed. Here are pics. Input is greatly appreciated. They are not trying to push this dog on my BTW.

Pretty Girl!!

She loves the water. She was playing in the hose

Here is one of both of them. Arwen is kinda in the backround. It was so hot and I couldnt get many good shots cuz I also had to chase my daughter around.
http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv337/Taylor81_photo/009.jpg

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
she's VERY pretty! Sounds like things went well !

As for the hopping, breeder is right, puppies are clutzy at this age, it could be she needs to build up muscle mass as well..IF your concerned about the Hip thing, I'd ask the breeder for some type of stipulation, take her for xrays (or have her and you pay?) to get an idea of what your dealing with..if it doesn't look good, and you change her mind, don't take her..

·
Registered
301 Posts
she's VERY pretty! Sounds like things went well !

As for the hopping, breeder is right, puppies are clutzy at this age, it could be she needs to build up muscle mass as well..IF your concerned about the Hip thing, I'd ask the breeder for some type of stipulation, take her for xrays (or have her and you pay?) to get an idea of what your dealing with..if it doesn't look good, and you change her mind, don't take her..

My dog was a little funny around that age with his hind end. He turns 2 in a week and a half so we haven't got xrays yet. He is not funnny any more in his hind end. She is georgeous :wub:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for the input. Yeah, Im not too familiar with the showlines. They said their back joints will tighten up. I dont remember that with Arwen. Arwen is more of a straight back and I dont know her bloodlines at all. So it is common for the rear joints to be a little loose? the puppy was very underweight and with the previous owner, they let her eat catfood along with dogfood and bad table scraps. The breeders were not happy with all that. It is being addressed and they are trying to put weight on her very slowly. The pup is still mouthy but has a very soft mouth. I told them I was not concerned with that as throughout the 2 hours I was there, she it never got any harder when she played with me and she NEVER put her mouth on my daughter, Her hair is growing back and they are very happy with her progress. He is a police officer in the K9 unit. I got to meet an absolutely gorgeous Male Mali who was just beautiful and not going crazy with us there. :wub: Their dogs are in the house. They know which ones play together and which ones dont. Im totally in love with their 4 month old Male Gustov. He is dopey and hilarious to watch. Typical male. He is gorgeous. We are going to set up a time to go back to visit with all my children this week and see how that goes. We are then going to have a visit or 2 at our home and see how that goes. They said they would take her back without question if things didnt work out. They are very good people. I must say Im super proud of Arwen as they had horses and she didnt care, didnt bark and had a great time playing on their property. She played with most of their dogs, but 1 of the females didnt like other females so I had to put her up. It did go well. Oh, they were happy that I keep Arwen at a nice weight as they hate to see overweight shepherds;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts