German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know who takes their dog to work with them OR if you would do it if you could? If not,then why?

I usually take one or sometimes all three dogs to my office when I am going to be at the office especially late. It's definitely a good stress reducer:).

·
Registered
658 Posts
I would love to take my girl to work with me. I work at a call center 3rd shift so you imagine my long nights.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Definitely depends on the job and the dog

I've taken both Alex and Jazzy to work with me and loved it, Delgado I've brought once but it was just for a quick visit

Until Delgado matures more I wouldn't take him but the other two I thoroughly enjoyed having with me but it's really not allowed :(

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I'd love to bring my dogs with me-unfortunately its viewed as a medical center so I can't :(

What I might do down the line is buy a van and outfit it so it has its own automatic temperature control. Then I could bring the dogs everywhere.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am in the very lucky position of being able to take Rocky to work with me. He's been going since he was 9 weeks old (he's 19 wks). I work in my own office and have access to acres of land. There are other offices, some dogs and lots of people and he just views it as part of his routine now. He's an angel and behaves very well. He's crated when I am real busy and in and out of office, but mostly he roams in the office with me, in his bed or at the stair gate watching everyone walk by....:crazy:

Fortunately all the dogs at my work are on a centralised register. To be on that register you have to show insurance and vaccinations etc. Rocky had only had his first shot when I first took him, but he was not allowed on longer walks then, just on one area to potty. I know there was an infection risk, but i was happy that all the dogs he saw were fully vaccinated and i could not have left him at home (25 min drive) for 8 hours a day.

He is part of the team and he gets alot of attention.....especially from the cleaner ladies who make a right fuss of him:wub:

Everyone loves him and I realise how lucky I am:D

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I work alone at night, I would love to take her but I'm not allowed. :( Some nights it gets a little spooky so I'm still working on them.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i drive a truck so i can't take my dog to work. i've taken
my dog to the plant many times (days off, picking up something for
the family and the dog).

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
if we are really slow, I can bring my dogs to work with me. they usually have to wait until I'm done grooming though because I have another job and I don't want them in the car while I'm there. (bad area) Dodger loves going to work with me, he knows he has rockstar status and gets loved on while there.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I used to take Rivers to work with me everyday. I don't anymore because he is big now, and has A LOT more energy and work has been pretty busy. When he was a puppy it was easy to entertain him at work for 12 and a half hours, but now he is more high maintenance.
Everyone loved having Rivers around, and my boss used to bring his GSD too so they would wreak havoc all over our headquarters :D :eek:
But, there is just not enough space here for two big, hyper puppies.
Here is Rivers lounging at work (with his moose) when he was 9 weeks old :wub:

Rivers keeping watch over one of the ambulances!

And here is Rivers and Blitz taking over dispatch :D

·
Super Moderator
32,028 Posts
I've taken mine for visits many times, and they've both been there when I was working short days, especially when it was going to be slow in the office.

Here's Halo in her soft crate - I was working a half day and then meeting up with some people for a group training session so I just brought her with me:

And another time I brought Keefer with me, I don't remember why! Flat out on the floor - working hard or hardly working? :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
I take mine to work with me everyday and have since the day I got her.
Depending on what I am doing she is either in a crate or running around the offices and warehouse.
It's great socialization for her as she gets to meet new people that come into the building and she loves all my co workers.

·
Registered
359 Posts
With the job I have now, no. I work in a grooming salon in Petsmart, and I hate the thought of my dog being in that cage all day, surrounded by all that flying hair and screaming dogs and dryer noise, fur in their water dishes. I know they're much more comfortable at home, where they can hang around outside in our backyard and help with the gardening and housework. Heck, I even hate taking my dogs there for a quick wash on my days off, though they love going there to play in the water and see everyone in the salon, especially Discoe.

When I worked at the vet office, I would occasionally bring one of my dogs to keep me company behind the desk, since we had just opened and would have some days where we'd have very few or no clients. I'd bring a stack of blankets for a nice soft bed off the tile floor, a bone to chew and set a dish of water by the file cabinet. A shepherd sure helps a twelve hour day go by quickly...lol. I also used to bring Discoe to work with me when I worked at Gamestop, when she was just a few months old. And I'd bring Reba on my short mornings there so that we could go to the supply store up the road afterward and hang out for a little while with our friends.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
i wish but no i wouldn't take my dogs to work with me. they are too wild...:p

this is an awesome question btw. love reading the responses and seeing the pictures! :)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
When I worked at full time at the E-Clinic I brought the kids regularly. I worked 15 hour shifts overnight so there was no way I could leave them at home.

Now that I work at my husbands company I can only bring Kya occasionally. Even though that was one of the things I was told I could do to come work here (who wants to work with their husband all day? )

I am most likely starting a new job in the fall managing a doggy daycare/boarding/grooming facility and they will be at work with me everyday. I am so excited about that!

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
I groom in a small shop, and I used to take the girls with me when they were puppies. Easy to housebreak that way. :)

Now that they are adults, they stay home. Just the occasional trip to the shop for a bath, or when I need to get them out of the house during the remodeling. Right now they are headed to the shop, since we have people cutting down trees, and shoring up our foundation today. Don't need two nosy GSDs helping them out.

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
Depends. I have before when I had a vet appt. IF it's cool enough to leave in the car then I will and then bring her out at lunch. If it's a weekend, I have before. We have open cubicles so I don't often bring her inside as a couple ppl in particular would protest just to have something to complain about

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've taken Piper with me to the office a few times, only once during normal hours though. Unfortunately, the military doesn't appreciate pets in the office. The only normal hours visit was two days after her spay surgery. My father-in-law usually lets her out and plays at lunchtime but I know she wouldn't stay quiet and still for him... so along she came. Otherwise she's been here on weekends: knows where my office is, the main entrance, and the door to the fenced in (with grass) mustering yard. Oh yeah, and she knows where the 24X7 watch office is too... they like visitors ;)

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Were not allowed and there's no way I could. I'm an Exec. Assistant and it just wouldn't be professional in my workplace environment. I don't think I'd want to even if I could. I give them a lot of time and attention so it's nice to be apart from them for a while.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Molly is my security at my husband's tow/impound yard. I go to his office when he needs to leave a few times a week. My husband said he feels so much better knowing I am not alone. Most of our customers are pleasant, some of them coming to remove property from their cars after being in an accident and just happy they had no major injuries or embarrassed after a DUI. But some of the customers that have driving violations or were arrested come with an attitude - having big barking Molly there seems to keep those customers more mellow. Most of the time I work from home, so my dog is still with me.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts