German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in Petco without a dog, and saw a woman with a Husky on a harness pulling her all over the place. The woman just stood there and watched her dog run right up to some customers at the register. I said something to the salesperson who was helping me who answered that everyone has different ways of handling their dogs and if the woman wants her dog to be friendly it's none of my business.

He was right, it wasn't any of my business since the dog didn't interact with me, but the woman looked uncomfortable. I would bet she uses a PO trainer and now doesn't think she has any tools left to her. The dog wasn't biting or growling or jumping, it was just out of her control and terribly annoying to the people trying to buy something.

Should I have spoken to her and offered her alternatives? Not in a pushy way, just to help out the poor woman and her dog. The lady looked about 50-ish years old.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Maybe strike up a conversation and steer it towards classes you've taken or how you solved a pulling problem and see if she's open to or asks your opinion.Otherwise she may just get defensive.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My preferred trainer is a PO trainer and my dogs walk nicely on a leash on a flat collar. I wouldn't say anything unless I was the person the dog approached, then I might get into a conversation with the person.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I was in Petco without a dog, and saw a woman with a Husky on a harness pulling her all over the place. The woman just stood there and watched her dog run right up to some customers at the register. I said something to the salesperson who was helping me who answered that everyone has different ways of handling their dogs and if the woman wants her dog to be friendly it's none of my business.

He was right, it wasn't any of my business since the dog didn't interact with me, but the woman looked uncomfortable. I would bet she uses a PO trainer and now doesn't think she has any tools left to her. The dog wasn't biting or growling or jumping, it was just out of her control and terribly annoying to the people trying to buy something.

Should I have spoken to her and offered her alternatives? Not in a pushy way, just to help out the poor woman and her dog. The lady looked about 50-ish years old.
I don't call that dog's behavior as being friendly but as being a nuisance. I don't believe somebody should let their dog approach a person uninvited. Not everybody is a dog lover, and not every dog lover tolerates that type of behavior from their own dogs let alone somebody else's.

In the Petco near me, they have their trainers constantly swarming the store trying to drum up business, even freely giving out some training tips. I am surprised your Petco doesn't have the same.

I would have done as you and mentioned it to the salesperson as you did, but probably not the person. I think it was very rude of the salesperson to tell you it is none of your business as you may have been the next person in line at the register with the husky bothering you. Personally, I would have said a little more to that salesperson.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't call that dog's behavior as being friendly but as being a nuisance. I don't believe somebody should let their dog approach a person uninvited. Not everybody is a dog lover, and not every dog lover tolerates that type of behavior from their own dogs let alone somebody else's.

In the Petco near me, they have their trainers constantly swarming the store trying to drum up business, even freely giving out some training tips. I am surprised your Petco doesn't have the same.

I would have done as you and mentioned it to the salesperson as you did, but probably not the person. I think it was very rude of the salesperson to tell you it is none of your business as you may have been the next person in line at the register with the husky bothering you. Personally, I would have said a little more to that salesperson.
I don't know where their annoying roving trainer was. He saw me once with a dog in a pinch and wanted to know why I was using it. I avoid him.

The people at the register could have been cat people, or anything else. Not everyone in a Petco is there because they love dogs. Actually, had the dog approached me and been friendly, I would have given it attention, so I would be part of the problem.

The sales person is young, not more than a year or two out of high school, probably knows nothing about dogs. The attitude of young people without dog experience that we should just all do whatever we want with our dogs in public places, is scary.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I don't know where their annoying roving trainer was. He saw me once with a dog in a pinch and wanted to know why I was using it. I avoid him.

The people at the register could have been cat people, or anything else. Not everyone in a Petco is there because they love dogs. Actually, had the dog approached me and been friendly, I would have given it attention, so I would be part of the problem.

The sales person is young, not more than a year or two out of high school, probably knows nothing about dogs. The attitude of young people without dog experience that we should just all do whatever we want with our dogs in public places, is scary.
Don't get me wrong, I am usually the first one lining up to give pets too so I am just as guilty as the next guy, but I don't like when a dog forces itself on me and I do not like a dog to jump on me.

Your comment on the salesperson is exactly why I would have "cleared the air" with her about her rude comment.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If that Petco employee's viewpoint is how most young people think of dog ownership, one comment by me isn't going to make a difference. I only observed the interaction between the owner and her dog because I was far enough away to see the whole thing in perspective. If I had been closer to the dog and missed that the owner was both clueless and uncertain, I wouldn't have thought much of it, just one more out of control dog. I'm sensitive to annoying dogs because my puppy likes to arrange his own greetings. I'm working very hard right now to teach him manners and that licking people or saying hello without permission isn't polite. I even told the sales person that, but he answered by saying that he knows a good trainer. I said I am my dog's best trainer. I may not be the best trainer I know, but I am who he has, so it's the best consistent training he is going to get.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts

He's also probably not allowed to say anything negative about other customers. Customers are a mine field. You never know when what you say will offend them so you have to basically kiss everyone's rear, regardless of the monologue in your head.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts

when I go in, the trainers avoid me >:)

I would have struck up a conversation with her, since you didn't have a dog (If my dog was with me, I'd avoid her like the plague). "what a good looking boy. Looks like he's a bit of a handful!" and if she opens up, offer some advice and commiserate with her. Give her the name of a good trainer and hope that she follows through

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He's also probably not allowed to say anything negative about other customers. Customers are a mine field. You never know when what you say will offend them so you have to basically kiss everyone's rear, regardless of the monologue in your head.
I didn't think about that. He was gushing over every dog that walked through to door, calling them cute. They weren't all cute.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
when I go in, the trainers avoid me >:)

I would have struck up a conversation with her, since you didn't have a dog (If my dog was with me, I'd avoid her like the plague). "what a good looking boy. Looks like he's a bit of a handful!" and if she opens up, offer some advice and commiserate with her. Give her the name of a good trainer and hope that she follows through
How do you get to that point? I avoid Petco with my dog unless I'm desperate because I don't want to get into an argument over the prong collar or neutering. Actually all chains. I was in another one and an employee asked if he was neutered because all responsible dog owners neuter. She actually said "We don't want any accidents, now do we?"

·
Registered
142 Posts
I"m not saying you're like this, but I work with the public quite a bit and bring my puppy to work with me. I find about 30 people a day want to give me unsolicited advice on how to train my pup, and it's painfully obvious that most of these people don't have a clue what they're talking about. How is someone supposed to distinguish between some stranger giving good advice, and the other 29 people who want to tell you how big your dog will be because of the size of its paws?

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
How do you get to that point? "
1) I have been known to watch and openly mock their training skills.

2) I was in the store several years ago, a few months after it opened. The head trainer walked up to me and my service dog and started talking. Then proceeded to give my dog commands. My dog looked at me like "what the HECK is up with this dude?" and ignored him. Head trainer then proceeds to tell me that I need to get him into training before he gets any older and decides to take over (dog was already over 2 years old). I went through every command he had just given my dog in German and again with only hand signals. "He's perfectly trained. He just doesn't listen to ***holes"

Since then, when he sees me walk into the store he goes into the back office and shuts the door.

It also helps that members of my kennel club and I regularly hold small training outings in the store. They've learned from observation that we all know more than they do.

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
Generally, people who go to pet stores are pet-people. If you are terrified of animals, or simply don't like them, you probably aren't there.

I saw some lady with a pug at DrugMart today letting the pug spazz all over the place (in the parking lot). People who do not have dogs that have a reputation for aggression often do not have the same attitude toward training dogs and ensuring that everyone is comfortable with them.

The cashier probably had people commiserating with him about other people all the time, and probably has some training to not play into that scene. I wouldn't know. Maybe the lady with the husky was his mother. Who knows? But wouldn't it make you feel funny if you walked up to someone's son and said something disparaging about his mother or how she is doing something? Ick! But what would be the odds.

Because we have dogs that ought to be aloof with people, and are often less than thrilled with other dogs, and are generally irritated by dogs that are out of control/hyper, we tend to be rather critical of nuisance behavior in other dogs. These people tend to think we are crazy for owning dogs that aren't capable of handling the situations there dogs are creating.

Sometimes it is best to just keep your own council.

·
Registered
245 Posts
You clearly don't know anything about dogs, nor have any observational skills.
Huskies are bred for pulling sleds. To not let a husky be allowed to pull something is cruelty to it. It is in their nature to do it. So they must & have to do it. Huskies are also a very sociable breed of dog.
This lady was obviously letting her husky do some pulling, getting it exercise, and the reward for good work was getting to say hello to other people in the store.
It is a well known fact that Petcos do a great job waxing their floors each day. You were probably too busy making rude comments to the cashier to notice that she was wearing her bowling shoes, to improve her slide as her husky pulled. If it looked like she wasn't sliding to well when you arrived there, that's because she had been there a good two hours and the wax was worn. Typical know-it-all jerk gsd owner.

(If anyone reads that and thinks it is meant to be serious...please, turn off your internet, go outside, and don't return until you develop a sense of humor.)

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I agree 100% with this but employees are also not allowed to say anything negative to the customer either. Telling a prospective customer to mind their own business is extremely rude.

How do you get to that point? I avoid Petco with my dog unless I'm desperate because I don't want to get into an argument over the prong collar or neutering. Actually all chains. I was in another one and an employee asked if he was neutered because all responsible dog owners neuter. She actually said "We don't want any accidents, now do we?"
LOL! Reminds me of a conversation I had the other day at the vet's with a seasoned tech regarding a partial spay. A new tech was listening to the conversation and chimed in that most people get their dogs speutered to resolve behavioral problems. I said my intact dogs don't have behavioral problems. :grin2:

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
I'm with the clerk on this one. S/he was probably tired of saying "hmmm" to customers. It isn't your place to tell other people how to train their dogs. I don't want your advise. I don't want Joe Public's advise. In response to your offering, I'm apt to make a rude comment about you and the horse you rode in on.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Generally, people who go to pet stores are pet-people. If you are terrified of animals, or simply don't like them, you probably aren't there.
cat people can't be afraid of dogs? those coming to get tropical fish? or food for their hamster? there are a million reasons that someone in a pet store might not like or even be completely terrified of dogs.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Agree with this section of the post.

I'd not have said anything unless my dog was there and affected. She is actually very dog-friendly and likely would have been fine, but I feel like having my dog present and having the uncontrolled dog approaching my dog would give me a more natural "in." If I have a dog by my side, I have skin in the game and a request looks more reasonable; otherwise I'm just perceived as trying to boss around another adult.

·
Registered
152 Posts

It's a very sensitive situation and once again proves that there are many irresponsible dog owners out there. It may sound harsh, but some people shouldn't be allowed to reproduce, let alone having pets.

It sounds very similar to what I observed on our walks. There are a couple of open green areas in my neighborhood, but there are clear signs in several places - "Keep your pet on leash at all times. NOT off-leash area." Yet almost every other day I see owners with off-leash dogs playing catch. It bugs me so much, but what can I say? After all it's free country and they are free to break the law (well, to extent, of course. If they were murdering someone I would like to believe I would have the guts to say or do something).
Short of calling animal bylaw office, I can't really say anything and most likely by the time they come, the person would leave the place.
They may be confident in their dog's skills and ability to stay close or recall, but other people around who are not even dog owners or lovers that walk by may be afraid of the dog running loose. And after all they are animals - something may trigger prey drive in them and they could go after a child (god forbid) or someone else's pet on leash.

I also think these are the kinds of people without common sense that you can't reason with and anything you say they will be defensive about it and start arguing. You probably did the right thing by not saying anything. Kinda sad, really.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts