German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few threads lately have made me wonder - if a dog attacked your dog, would you report it? If you didn't, why not? Would the severity of the attack dictate if you reported it or not? Size of the dog? How severe would the attack need to be to report it, and/or what size would the dog have to be?

I would most certainly report an attack, even if it was a small dog. Even if it left just a lot of drool on Ozzy, I would report it so that A/C at least has a report on file.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
A few threads lately have made me wonder - if a dog attacked your dog, would you report it? If you didn't, why not? Would the severity of the attack dictate if you reported it or not? Size of the dog? How severe would the attack need to be to report it, and/or what size would the dog have to be?

I would most certainly report an attack, even if it was a small dog. Even if it left just a lot of drool on Ozzy, I would report it so that A/C at least has a report on file.
I could not report attacks on my dog as I never knew who the owner's were. Some were "strays" in the neighborhood, most were in public parks where the people just grabbed their dogs and left. Once incident even left my boyfriend bitten and bleeding in front of plenty of witnesses, and the owner just waltzed away ignoring the calls from bystanders to come back as their dog not only injured a dog but had bitten a human.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I think it would depend on the circumstances and severity of the attack.

If I were walking my leashed dog down the road, and the neighbor's Beagle got out of the door and charged us, but there are no punctures and the owner is apologetic, I wouldn't report it.

If the same dog did this repeatedly, I would certainly have a word with the neighbor for continuing to let it happen *and* report it to the dog warden, even if the dog didn't do any damage to mine. Getting out once and charging us is an accident. Doing it repeatedly is a problem.

If I were at the dog park and someone's dog got aggressive with mine, it would depend on the severity of injuries because I am taking that risk that may dog may not get along with another dog at the park. That's a risk you take knowingly. If the dog injures mine, I would ask the owner to pay the vet bill. If they refused, I would report the bite. If there's no damage done to my dog, I would just leave.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
It really depends on the situation. I kind of grew up with the belief to never be a snitch, but if it's like the other thread where there were multiple attacks by the same dog and the owner did nothing, I think i'd have to bend the rules a little bit.

If it was a first time thing where the dog slipped out, mistakes happen. They pay the vet bills and we both agree this never happens again.

If you've got some idiot owner with a dog who's constantly getting out and tearing into other dogs than I'm calling animal control and the police on you. You don't deserve a dog if you're that negligent over and over again.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
It would depend on the situation. Jazz was attacked as a puppy by a Rott/Lab mix in our building and the dog punctured a hole through his lip. I had to put him on antibiotics. I didn't report the attack because the owners were my neighbours and they were extremely apologetic and upset by the whole thing. They got their dog neutered immediately hoping that would help and began muzzling him. If this same situation had occurred and Jazz was injured worse than he was or if the owners were not apologetic I would definitely have reported it.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Depends. If the person realizes their mistake and is going to take appropriate measures to prevent it from happening in the future, I could definitely see myself giving them another chance. I could also see myself giving too many chances. I'm a softie.
I'd still try to get them to paying part of my dog's vet bill if he needs it, and if I can legally hold them to it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
As others have said, it would depend on the owners attitude, if they were sorry and it was possibly the first time it had happened, i would not report it, I always think how i would feel in their position, having a dog aggresive gsd myself i can see how a momentary lapse of consentration can arise.
Mine has required vet treatment after being attacked by a springer, but they were very sorry and paid the bill, and they had not had the dog long, so i a situation like that i did not report them, i felt sorry for them.
but on the other hand had an attack been so bad the dog was maimed (lose a leg etc) for life, no matter how sorry they were i prob would report them.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I didn't report attacks at first (none of the attacks have ever resulted in an injury) but after it kept happening seemingly everywhere I went, I decided I was done with being nice. And if my dog ever got hurt in an attack....hoo boy! Heads will roll.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Totally depends on the circumstances & who it is. If it was the Dane across the street... nope. It would be "Hey Matt, Bella owes a vet bill". If it was the labs that live next door to him? I would.. because their owners have no control or care over them.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
ANY attack, by ANY dog on a human gets reported. Attacks by another dog would depend on the circumstances.

The perputually escaping pit bull that menaced our neighborhood and came after Scarlett more than once was called in everytime. The dog had been used for fighting and was truly a dangerous animal. BUT, the little ankle biter that used to lie in wait for us to walk by, only to dart out and go after Paige's rear end was also called in to AC. Both of those dogs, in my opinion were dangerous. Paige could and would defend herself. I could pull her off the little monster. The family had THREE of the dogs...several months after our last encounter, I noticed the guy only walking TWO. He said the dog went after a larger dog, and that larger dog "took care of him".

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Totally depends on the circumstances & who it is. If it was the Dane across the street... nope. It would be "Hey Matt, Bella owes a vet bill". If it was the labs that live next door to him? I would.. because their owners have no control or care over them.
My thoughts exactly. Like every single person has said it would depend on the situation. Someone may have just adopted that dog and is working on issues it has or even an owner that knows he has a problem dog but is working on it. Things happen. Now someone who just doesn't give a **** and let's their dog rule the world. I would report instantly. Growing up, My neighbor's Pit/Lab mix would attack my Collie/Lab mis through the fence frequently.. from chunks of ear missing, rip lip, to puntured stomach.. it was awful. The first time my family just made them foot the bill and put up better fencing.. after the second time and they refused the bill and said it wasn't their fault, yadda yadda yadda. after the Third time my parents reported them. Now by time 2, especially with the refusal of the bill, I would have reported them.. no questions. but to each their own.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
It depends. Mistakes happen very quickly.

If I took a risk and allowed my dog to greet and it turned into a fight I would be partly to blame.

If someone's dog got away from them and they yelled out a warning to me and no harm was done no I would not report them.

If there is an off leash dog which I've asked the owners to please leash and they don't and the dog attacks mine. Yes I will report.

Id me more inclined not to report if they attitude of the owner is a good one. Why cause more stress in someone's life if we can handle it on. I'd like to think that I'm a fair person and try to treat people like I would like to be treated if I were in that position.

Sometimes I feel that people over react to every circumstance as far as their dog is concerned.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So far, I think all of the responses are fair. In my original post, I took more of the dog's actions into consideration than the owner's, but I think I'm in the bandwagon here.
Completely agree with you, Caledon.

·
Registered
839 Posts
My daughter was running in our yard once (about 14 years ago) and the next door neighbor's dalmation came running over and attacked her very bad. My daughter still has the scars from that attack.

That lady was an idiot and it was impossible to deal with her. She was in complete denial about her dog. I called the police and AC. Nothing happened to her or the dog. A year or so later, the same dog attacked another neighbor's dog. That neighbor went through the same problems I did. Nothing was done.

A week later, that dalmation was found shot dead. I know our neighbor shot him. He told that idiot lady he would if she wouldn't keep him out of his yard.

So yes, I would call somebody, AC, or police. BUT there also comes a point that if police or AC won't do anything about a bad dog....it makes otherwise normal people have to take care of the issue. I don't like to be a mean person. I do realize that some people have problems with their dogs. BUT don't live in denial about your dog.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Depends on the circumstances.

If it was the neighbors across the street? You bet I would. They were constantly escaping the fence, charging our fence, and/or charging our dogs when we had them in the front yard with us - on leash. A little terrier mix who would love nothing more then to bite a dog and an older pit mix who seems to just follow the terrier. The owners are very proud of the dogs never having any vaccinations, which is problematic since there is definitely rabies in the wildlife in our area. The last time it happened, I politely told them that the next time they are out, I am filing a formal complaint with A/C and contacting the landlord. They have been contained and no escapes for 6 months now (knock on wood).

My thought is if we are doing everything possible to keep our dogs and others safe, then others could at least do the minimum required.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
In our community reporting a dog to AC really doesn't amount to much in dog on other animal aggression.

Depends a bit on the circumstances but if it's an unprovoked attack and a person or dog is physically injured (such as the one described about Sophie) I would report it just to have it on record.

I think it's the right thing to do. Even if the owners mean well, if it is or is becoming a pattern of behaviour, your actions now may help protect you or another person down the road who is attacked by the same dog.

Also, if the owners of the dog which caused the attack refuse to help pay vet bills it would help in case you have to take them to court to have it documented with AC. I've heard of people promising to pay vet bills in the heat of the moment, but not follow through when the actual bills were due and needed to be paid.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My son got bit by a neighbor's dog & A/C was called. They were impossible to get a hold of & didnt come to my house to take down a report until the following day.

The dog didnt have its rabies vaccination & A/C allowed these irresponsible people to do an in home quarantine b/c they were concerned the dog may get sick if held in their facility since he was outdated on shots!

It was a complete waste of time calling a/c cuz they dont do anything anyway.

If this ever happens again I will take matters into my own hands.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Biting a person would definately be reported, but the other things I would have to say should be situational. I'm of the mind that I don't want to get into a A/C or police war with a neighbor or anyone that can retaliate weeks or months down the line. I know this isn't something we should worry about but if this was a one time thing and you report it, that neighbor is going to have a much shorter leash with what they allow you to do without reporting it.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts

It does depend for me.

If I am walking my dog, and I see a dog, leash trailing behind, owner running after dog and our dogs get into a scuffle were no one was hurt, then probably not. I would try to talk to them about training, etc etc. I have been this person. Granted my dog was not going to attack anyone, it wanted to play. But I've been there, new dog, leash gets out of hand, im running behind crying, screaming about to have a break down because I can't get my dog.......good way to meet a cute guy though. (I was really the 'damsel in distress' at that moment lol)

If its that situation and it ends in my dog being hurt, I would expect them to pay for the vet bill..if not then I would take them to court.

First offenses, no one hurt, I can let it go for the most part unless its REALLY sever and the dog is obviously dangerous and ready to do some serious bodily injury to someone.

If it keeps happening, then yes I will call.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
If there was damage then I would report it, even if the owners were apologetic. The dog needs to have that on its record in case another attack happens. If the dog attacked 5 dogs and no one reported it and then one day killed a dog, that dog probably won't get put down because it would seem like it was just a freak accident and that the dog had never done anything like that before in its life.

Kind of like if a kid vandalized your house and his/her parents were really apologetic about it. That just wouldn't matter to me, it needs to be on record so future incidents won't be looked over as easily.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts