German Shepherds Forum banner

Do you think GSD's are good family/kid dogs?

• No, I would not reccomend them to be around children.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Yes, but older children.

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • Yes, I would reccomend the breed to be around all ages including young children.

Votes: 148 83.6%
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering how people thought of GSD's being kid/family dogs? Do you feel the breed is a trustworthy breed to be around children? I have a male GSD and I have three children 5 yrs, 3 yrs, and 2 yrs an I have had poeple say to me before that my dog was a poor choice because GSD are not good to be around children. Yet mine loves them to death so I was wonderind what others thought to this subject.

·
Registered
27,338 Posts
If the dog is of good genetics and is in a household that does right by the breed, they are the best!
Its sad though that many of them are bred by BYB's and placed with people who have no clue on training, socializing etc.
Then they dump them at a shelter after the cute puppy stage wears off(or sooner) or are put in a kennel out back and the dog gets reactive due to lack of nurturing.
That is where the breed reputation has come from.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
yes GSD's make great family pets. if there's a problem
within the family it's probably because the adults in the house
are doing or did something wrong when raising the GSD.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
so far ALL of my dogs do great with kids. They love our kids, seeking them out to give very sloppy just took a drink kisses. Well trained and nurtured GSDs are fabulous with kids. those who say that GSDs are a poor choice as a family pet, i believe dont have a clue what they're talking about and really have no right to say anything as a result because obviously, my dogs are fine with kids. I have a 3 year old and an 18 month old. My kids dont know what life without a GSD is and i hope we always have a gsd!

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
yes GSD's make great family pets. if there's a problem
within the family it's probably because the adults in the house
are doing or did something wrong when raising the GSD.
I'm with this.

I think the problem with GSDs and kids is not necessarily that they're not great together. But I think GSDs require competent owners who establish clear boundaries and expectations and meet their physical and mental stimulation requirements. I think we can all agree that many pet owners out there do not fit this description.

Now, personally I do care for small children/toddlers with large breed puppies. I didn't think it was good when we had Mastiff's either. Small kids and dogs should never be unsupervised in my opinion. An active 7 month old 70lb puppy can level a toddler without any sort of ill intention. But again that goes to the management of the situation by the adults in the household.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
It's usually not a question if a dog is good or safe with kids, but the other way around. People don't teach kids how to behave around dogs so the kids are unsafe. Also, kids should never be left unattended around dogs because of this.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I agree with elaine. It's up to the parents to teach the KIDS how to act around a dog. Skylar has major issues with kids because she's been chased by them, kids throwing themselves at her, etc. It was strange kids. I can't trust her around kids because of the KIDS, she would have been fine if parents would teach their kids how to approach strange dogs!! So yes, if the parents can train the kids how to act around a shepherd, or any dog, then it would be safe- i'd never leave any dog unattended with a child, though, no matter how good i thought they'd be.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I am so glad both of my kids grew up around my GSDs. They both have such an appreciation not only for the breed but animals in general ! My son thinks the world of DJ, almost like he was HIS dog ! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
My two oldest kids had GSD's Major, Gretchen, Shultzie, and Chief in their lives. I would trust all of these GSd's with my kid's lives. Later, when my youngest was born, only Chief was left, and he was that baby's protector and best friend for 10 years. Now Wolfie is around mostly adults, but my daughter has 2 young stepsons that come and see Wolfie. He just loves it when they show up to play.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
It's usually not a question if a dog is good or safe with kids, but the other way around. People don't teach kids how to behave around dogs so the kids are unsafe. Also, kids should never be left unattended around dogs because of this.
This is why I do NOT recommend GSD's for families with young kids. Not because of the GSD puppy, more because most people just have no idea how much time and 'work' adding a puppy to the home can be. All the families I know are already in a time crunch with work, and housework, and activities the family are involved in. So adding another responsibility is just too much.

It's why so many dogs end up back at the breeders or in shelters. And why I meet people ALL the time when I'm out in public with MY GSD's and meet so many other GSD owners. They come up to me, admire my girls, and when I ask why aren't they walking their dogs on this beautiful day I get a shocked look and a 'We could NEVER have our dogs out in public like this............' . I'm not even going into the dogs that have to live their lives in the yard cause it's too much for people to instead have them in the home and TEACH them to be a family member. :headbang:

Clearly there ARE people that are experienced and know their lives will change when they get that puppy, and they are fully prepared to arrange their lives around the new addition.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Yes! I have no kids of mine own but recently fostered 3 little boys ages 2, 4, 6. My dogs are 4yr, 2.5yr, 1.5yr and had never been around small children. They were wonderful with them! They boys would lay on them crawl on them and the dogs were always gentle with them. I never had to worry about it.

·
Registered
485 Posts
My girl is great with kids - we have probably 18 under 8's in our cul-de-sac, and they are forever ringing the doorbell and asking if Kokoda can come out and play! My foster (11 mos) came from a family with four young children (mom was diagnosed with terminal cancer, which is why he is with us), and the other day, when we were walking we were swarmed with little kids and both dogs just soaked up the attention very politely. I don't plan on having kids for a couple of years yet, but I did take that into consideration when I chose GSDs. I did want to have a my dog trained and maybe even a little bit settled, before having babies though! If I do add another, it will likely be the foster we have now, so they would be 3 and 3 1/2 before babies come along.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I think GSDs make great family pets and would be great with kids IF the family has the time, patience and dedication to train and care for the dog properly. I also think it would be a great opportunity for the whole family to get involved with the puppy's training its a way to bond and learn responsible dog ownership. Also training the dog for things such as a Agility can be fun for the whole family and the dog.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Yes, a good GSD is super with kids.

We had a 2 yo female when my wife got pregnant and people had her worried sick about the dog and kid. She would be jealous and be a danger to our son, etc. Au contraire! She was perfect with him even to letting him crawl all over her (while we were in the room of course) as an infant.

Great dogs! All 7/8 that we have owned over the years.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
you tell me if GSDs are great with kids or not!!!

cuz i think they're fabulous!!!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.