German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup is a velcro dog, but I am her primary caregiver. If I am out of her sight for more than a few minutes and she doesn't hear me, she comes looking for me, but it didn't really concern me.

This evening she was on our elevated screen porch when I went out into the yard to pick up poop. She sat watching me, and whined a few times when I disappeared behind the shrubs. While I was in the back of the yard I heard a strange sound, like a loud zipper. Seconds later she comes bounding down the hill towards me. I called her name and she leaped into my arms.

As I rounded the shrubs again I saw what caused the "zipper sound." She had forcibly popped through the screen wall of the porch! Fortunately, we are re-screening in a couple of weeks anyway, but this really got me wondering if I have a budding problem I need to "nip."

She never whines when I crate her, either me staying in the house or leaving, so separation anxiety never occurred to me until tonight.

I am trying to figure out how I can alleviate her extreme concern. My husband is willing to help, of course, but I have a mental block right now.

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance. I'm glad this happened before we went through the expense of re-screening!

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
How old is your pup? I would get her use to some alone time, so it doesn't escalate into SA.
I think in this instance, it was her wanting to be with you, outside and having some fun, so she went thru the screen. My dogs would do the same, and they don't have SA. You should see Onyx when I go outside with Karlo to do obedience. She is crazy to get out there with us.
Short sessions of alone time is good for a pup, especially if you do have to leave for more than a few hours, they need to learn how to cope without us in their realm now and then.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Jane. She is almost 14 weeks now.

I really didn't pay much attention the couple of whines because I never expected such determination from her to be with me. She had to know I was still in the yard.

Would it be a bad idea to bring her crate out on the porch while I'm in the yard and put her in it? I'd hate to have her panic and try to claw her way out of her crate. She has no problem being crated now anytime. Or would it be better to have my husband out there and keep her on a leash?

Chelle

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Give her a filled kong in the crate, or a fresh knucklebone, that would keep her occupied. You don't have a fenced in yard I take it? She could also learn to be tethered, but I think you should supervise her if so, she could chew thru the line in a second!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Give her a filled kong in the crate, or a fresh knucklebone, that would keep her occupied. You don't have a fenced in yard I take it? She could also learn to be tethered, but I think you should supervise her if so, she could chew thru the line in a second!
Great, we do have a Kong for her and I'll bet she'll forget who I am if she's got a knucklebone. :)

No fence yet. Where we live now I would never let the dogs out in even a fenced yard without actually being out in the yard with them, not even for 5 minutes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts