German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be getting a GSD and we plan on doing as much with him as we can for titles. He has akc parents but he comes with no papers because his mom was a rescue GSD.

Would you still stud him when he is older? Also can you stud him to a female Workline female that is titled and has papers if he is a showline GSD?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
We will be getting a GSD and we plan on doing as much with him as we can for titles. He has akc parents but he comes with no papers because his mom was a rescue GSD.

Would you still stud him when he is older? Also can you stud him to a female Workline female that is titled and has papers if he is a showline GSD?
No.

The mom should never have been bred in the first place simply because she's a rescue, in my opinion.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She was part of the akc with good papers but the current owner could not get them out.

So he should be fixed then so my girl is safe from him.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Absolutely not.

Why would you stud him out? For the money? Breeding dogs is not (or should not be) a moneymaking scheme.

If you are truly interested in becoming a breeder, please find a reputable breeder that will mentor you. There are enough unregistered, unproven, UNWANTED puppies in shelters and rescues without adding to the problem.

Titling is only one piece of the puzzle. Confirmation, health, temperament, papers, etc. are additional required pieces. No step should be skipped, IMO.

Everyone thinks their dog is wonderful and many seem to think this means they're worthy of breeding. The fact of the matter is... the majority of them simply are not.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do you think $500.00 plus $300.00 for shipping is to much then because he not papered? We paid $1500 for our girl so I am still a little scared. We are picking him up on Friday so I am just making sure I cover my basics and do this the right way.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
She was part of the akc with good papers but the current owner could not get them out.

So he should be fixed then so my girl is safe from him.
How old is your girl? You should really wait to fix either dog until their growth plates are closed. There are ways to keep dogs apart when the female is in heat to prevent unwanted pregnancies.

I would fix the female if she's old enough. Or are you thinking of breeding her, too? AKC registry is FAR from the only thing needed to breed a dog. Did you x-ray and certify her hips and elbows with the OFA? What about other health/genetic testing? What sort of titles does she have? What about her confirmation? Or her temperament?

If you simply cannot keep these dogs apart, I'd get them altered ASAP.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
do you think $500.00 plus $300.00 for shipping is to much then because he not papered? We paid $1500 for our girl so I am still a little scared. We are picking him up on Friday so I am just making sure I cover my basics and do this the right way.
I would personally NEVER pay any amount of money for a dog (aside from an adoption fee from a reputable shelter or rescue) from a BYB facility. All you're doing is lining their greedy pockets so they can breed more dogs that will likely end up on death row in shelters.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
$500 for a non-papered dog is quite a bit, but typical. $300 for shipping is average; that's what the airline charges, not the breeder.

Were the parents health checked or titled? Or are they just papered? Because honestly, papers mean next to nothing, other than the dogs are purebred.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No not for the money! We have really fallen in llove with the GSD and would like to breed down the road when we are 100% ready the right way. So I'm just asking some questions. I can call my girls breeder but I know how full he can be with time.

·
5,627 Posts
Why are you scared? What does the price you paid for your female have to do with anything? Price does not make the dog and is completely subjective. If you think $800 is a fair price for the dog you are getting, then it is. Personally, $800 for a dog bred from a rescued female is way to high for me to pay.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
See the Sire is fully reg and has a great bloodline. The mom has the same great bloodline. I'm not sure how she ended up in a rescue home but she did. The owner and breeder of the mom talked to AKC but she still could not register the puppies because the mom ended up in a rescue home.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We have been working with our dog at our club since she has been a pup and we just love the breed. If we can get her titled and show others how wonderful a GSD really is that would be good enough for me. My husband would like to buy a couple dogs and start breeding them we are just in love with the GSD. This is way I asked about our male dog we really want to give him the life Elsa has and do what GSD love to do. We would also like to stud him out if everything look good with him in a couple of years.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I'm not sure how she ended up in a rescue home but she did.
She's lucky she was rescued, most are put to death because there are way too many unwanted dogs.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If she could reg the puppies she said they would have worth $3000.00 I have all the papers on the parents as well. I wish I knew why she was a rescue dog so sad.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
There are a ton of dogs who have GREAT bloodlines who are not bred and putting together two GREAT dogs can give you duds. I respect those who title their own dogs, work their own dogs and know enough about the genetics to put the right dogs together.

Study the "do you want to be a breeder" threads first.
Personally were it my dogs I would cosnsider spaying the female because she is a good age and keep the male intact at least 2 years.

Who on earth would pay a stud fee from a non registerable dog?

1 - 20 of 144 Posts