German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so on Sunday Penny and I went to go have a playdate with her usual friends, another german shepherd named Stanley and a chocolate lab named Kronos. Kronos, Penny and Stanley get along famously.. and the love playing with each other. But on Sunday, the owner of Stanley invited a new person over to her house to join us, he is some type of bully mix breed, named Jax.

Well just as Jax and his owners pulled up Kronos and his owners were leaving and Jax entered the yard. As soon as he jumped out of the car he was out of control, pulling his owners and not listening to any commands. He rushed into the yard as soon as the gate was opened and started to display dominant posturing (puffing out his chest, tail high, tense body) over Stanley and he then started to chase him... Stanley finally had enough of this and turned around and snapped at Jax and I rushed in to stop them ( Stanley owner has leukemia and cannot move very fast as she was just in for treatment) but the owners of Jax just stood there and said " he is just wanting to play". At this point I had Penny already back on her leash as soon as I saw Jax get out of the car. Penny never got anywhere near Jax. So we put both Penny and Stanley into to the house.

We went back outside to tell the owners of Jax that he was not welcome as he was too aggressive. Both Stanleys owner and myself had a full frontal view of Jax as he was pulling towards us, even while his owners were dragging him out of the yard.

This was on Sunday, and yesturday (tuesday) we were contacted by Jax's owners demanding we pay for a vet bill for Jax because he apparently had a "gash" on his face that needed 10 stitches to close. So two days after the incident we are notified of this. I know for a fact that Penny never even came in contact with this dog as I had put her on a leash and with her being very submissive and fearful of dominating dogs she would never have gone near him anyway. Also I know that when Stanley turned around and snapped at Jax and went to go after him that he did not infact come in contact with Jax face. When both the dogs were back in the house and we went to tell Jax owners to leave Jax did NOT have a gash on him, he was not bleeding.

But they are saying that it was our dogs who did it, and want us both to pay for the vet bill... Would you be paying? I flat out refused as my dog never even came close to Jax, and is also only almost 5 months old. Stanleys owner is also arguing this point as she also never saw any blood or any gash on this dogs face, and find it suspicious that we were contacted two days after this incident occurred...

What would you do?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Two against one and they have no proof your dogs came in contact with their dogs.

They'd lose that case.

I'd tell him to pound sand. You're not getting a nickle from me.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
There are two witnesses that there was no altercation resulting in harm and the fact the call was made two days later...nope, if he tries to threaten I would hang up or tell him to leave if he shows up at the doir before you call the cops to report a trespasser. He doesn't have any evidence or witnesses to back his story up

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
as long as your sure your dog didn't cause the gash i think
you're in the clear.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I wouldn't be paying at all. Two witnesses saying that there was no altercation and magically two days later they have an issue.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Nope I would not pay. Penny was never involved and you are a witness for Stanley.
I would write down everything that happened NOW in case they try some sort of nonsense. I would think on a bully breed needing 10 stitches you would SEE the gash, while you may not on a dog with a longer coat.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I would think that a gash on a dog's face that required 10 stitches would be fairly obvious to everyone around, especially the owners who had to leash the dog to remove him from the yard.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Did you happen to ask why they waited two days to let you know the dog was injured? I'd be curious to find out when they went to the vet to get the stitches. However, asking to see the bill could be considered a offer of responsibility.

A gash on the face of a bully breed that requires 10 stitches would be easily seen.

I smell something rotten here. If in fact my dog and another dog got into a fight during a playdate, I wouldn't offer to pay the full bill. I might offer to pay a partial amount, as my dog was involved, therefore partially responsible.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
NO, I would not pay. Anything could have happened over the two day period.

Even if your dog did do damage, because you both would have been agreeable to play time I'd say the most you would be responsible for is 50%. I would ignore them. If they do call back, don't say anything other than any other calls will be considered harassment and put all future communications in writing - and ignore them too.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do not plan to pay them anything, if it were my dog that was injured then I would have let the other parties know as soon as I realized... I will not answer their emails/texts,and as my dog never even came within 5 feet of theirs I am not responsible at all... I also did not know that Stanleys owner had invited another dog over. So I am at no fault and neither is my dog... I will take your guys advice and write everything down as to what happened and I will also have a witness sign to prove the date at which I did so.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I would not pay.

Whose house was this at? That person better go about this carefully because incidents like this can usually be claimed against someone's home owners insurance (at east in the USA).

I would call Jax's vet and find out more about the injury and when they saw the dog. Dog medical records are not privileged like peoples' so they might be able to tell you over the phone.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would not pay.

Whose house was this at? That person better go about this carefully because incidents like this can usually be claimed against someone's home owners insurance (at east in the USA).

I would call Jax's vet and find out more about the injury and when they saw the dog. Dog medical records are not privileged like peoples' so they might be able to tell you over the phone.
This was at the home of Stanleys owner. Not my home. But I will tell her to call the vets, and find out. Then she can relay the information to me if necessary. But even if this was taken to court or whatever theres no way I could be seen at fault... This was not at my house, it was not my dog that was involved (unless you want to count her being at my feet with her tail between her legs involved), and I had no idea that this person was coming over.

·
Registered
31,702 Posts
That depends on the state.
https://www.avma.org/Advocacy/StateAndLocal/Pages/sr-confidentiality-patient-records.aspx

My vet does not release any information without my permission. None of my vets ever have. I can't get Chaos's records because this dippy woman that dumped her will not call to release. So, while there may not be HIPPA regs there is still confidentiality.

OP- No I would not pay. Absolutely not and neither should Stanley's owner. If pushed, I might even contact a lawyer and have a letter sent stating that any further correspondence would be considered harassment.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I would think that a gash on a dog's face that required 10 stitches would be fairly obvious to everyone around, especially the owners who had to leash the dog to remove him from the yard.
I agree ... no way would I pay, especially when the witnesses say there was no contact!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts