German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If there was someone who got turned down for adoption from a rescue would you adopted the dog for them?

And I don't mean they got turned down because they were neglectful or something like that. Im talking about something like if they have a show dog whose not fixed, but they otherwise take perfect care of their dog, would you do it then? I know it's not necessarily ethical to do so and I was just wondering where everybody else it on the matter.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I wouldn't get involved, to do something dishonest like that just isn't in my nature. I would worry about getting caught in the crossfire if it ever came to light

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Nope.

What I would do is one or all of the following:

(1) Help them find other shelters or rescues with a little more flexibility on that particular point. If one rescue has a dealbreaker on some issue, there's always another that doesn't.

(2) Act as a personal reference for the rescue and, if possible, try to offer some more information and context to mediate between the two points of view. (This is something I do a lot as an adoption counselor for my rescue. Often, knowing why somebody does something does a lot to soften hardline stances. Not always, but enough that it's worth trying.)

(3) Foster the dog myself and then place it in the home. If it's my foster dog, I have final say on where that dog goes. Of course, I won't place any foster of mine in a home if I don't believe it's an absolutely wonderful home for that dog!

But I would never be a "straw adopter." It's dishonest and in a world where everything hinges on clear, honest communication and good relationships, that's just poison.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Not necessarily ethical? Not ethical at all. If that particular rescue doesn't look at it case by case (have they even talked to them about it?), then go to another rescue, go to a shelter, buy from a breeder. There will be another dog they can get somewhere else .. there always is.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is a completely hypothetical question there is no actual real foster involved there is no real adoption nothing. I just adopted a dog for my mom from a shelter. And there was no question about whether to be turned down or not. I was completely approved and my mom is approved. I just got to thinking and wondering about other people and what they would do in that situ.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I would not adopt a dog for someone else or let someone adopt a dog for me, but I HAVE been turned down by a rescue (even though I own two rescue dogs and fhoster for two different rescue groups!). That was before I got my last dog and the rescue person I got her from and I just laughed about me being turned down. Some rescues have really crazy criteria. That particular rescue also had an insane contract, so it's likely I never would have applied for a specific dog anyway even if I had been approved. So being turned down by a rescue doesn't really tell me a whole lot.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Depends on the situation, IMO.

One of our apartment communities has stray cats. The local SPCA does a spay/neuter & release for us but kittens still happen. My co-worker found 3 in a window well after the mother was killed. The SPCA would not take them until they reached a certain weight, so my co-worker agreed to foster them under their guidance until then.

Two weeks later, another co-worker falls in love with them and decides she doesn't want them separated and she will take all 3

The SPCA says "No, you can only have 2. Our policy says no more than that at a time to one home."

Keep mind these kittens had not once set their paws inside the shelter. They have cats on top of cats on top of cats lining every room and hallway there. And co-worker was going to pay them fees for neutering before they left the foster.

So, a good home was waiting but they would rather one poor kitty get left behind to sit alone in a cage for who knows how long.

So, another co-worker "adopted" the 3rd and all 3 are still playing happily together 6 months later.

So, there are as situations I would do it. But we have a silly SPCA here...

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
No, absolutely not.

For one, if somehow the rescue found out that you adopted an animal from them, KNOWING you were going to give it to someone who they turned down (however disagreeable the reasoning was), what kind of consequences would come with that?

Take the dog back? Surely, if there's something in their contract like their is for the cat rescue we foster for's, it has something saying if you can't keep a cat or don't want it anymore, you are to 1) bring it back to the rescue, or 2) the new home must be approved by the rescue.

File legal charges for breach of contract? If they had something like that in their contract, it's a possibility. However slight it may be, the chance is there.

There are plenty of rescues, plenty of great dogs.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Honestly my main reason for not doing it would be that I am the one responsible for the dog if *I* adopt it. I already have three dogs and fosters that come and go (that I assume full responsibility for, even past their adoption, should anything happen). I can't be held responsible for other peoples' dogs.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Depends on the situation, IMO.

One of our apartment communities has stray cats. The local SPCA does a spay/neuter & release for us but kittens still happen. My co-worker found 3 in a window well after the mother was killed. The SPCA would not take them until they reached a certain weight, so my co-worker agreed to foster them under their guidance until then.

Two weeks later, another co-worker falls in love with them and decides she doesn't want them separated and she will take all 3

The SPCA says "No, you can only have 2. Our policy says no more than that at a time to one home."

Keep mind these kittens had not once set their paws inside the shelter. They have cats on top of cats on top of cats lining every room and hallway there. And co-worker was going to pay them fees for neutering before they left the foster.

So, a good home was waiting but they would rather one poor kitty get left behind to sit alone in a cage for who knows how long.

So, another co-worker "adopted" the 3rd and all 3 are still playing happily together 6 months later.

So, there are as situations I would do it. But we have a silly SPCA here...

This is what I was wondering about, if there was ever a type of a circumstance where it would be acceptable. In the situation you listed I would probably do the same thing.

I'm mostly wondering about the right thing versus the legal thing because those two things aren't always the same thing.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
This is what I was wondering about, if there was ever a type of a circumstance where it would be acceptable.
http://www.petguide.com/mobile
But who gets to decide what circumstances are "acceptable"? For every person who thinks it is okay to do it for a silly rule, like not adopting out any more than two kittens to the same home, there will be someone who thinks it is silly to require a fence or silly to require someone be over 18 or silly not to allow a dog to live chained up or not to go to a home with very young children.

There are so many different shelters and rescues around. Why break rules for someone" They can always go to some other shelter or rescue and adopt from an organization that doesn't care about whatever issue it is that would cause them to have someone else adopt for them.
Sheilah

1 - 20 of 64 Posts