German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, let me say that I have been going to this vet since 1989 when I got Chief. I had Wolfie in to get micro chipped today. It's a vet tech appointment. I haven't had Wolfie to the vet in a while. They took him in the back room to do the chip. I hear him scuffling around. He was extremely excited. He saw a golden retriever in the waiting room that he wanted to play with, and he also was trying to play with the vet techs. I told them to make him sit but I never heard them say sit. I was right on the other side of the door so I could hear everything. I heard him crying. he's a big drama queen when he gets shots, and they said good boy and brought him out. The tech said that the chip was lower down on his back than normal because he was "very excitable" and kept moving around and wouldn't take the treat. Is it me or shouldn't they have at least tried to take a moment with him and calm him down? If they just petted him for a minute, he would have been still. Anyways that annoyed me a bit, but what was done was done. I get home and I see on the receipt that they gave me that they weighed him in a 58 lbs! WHAT? I had him at Pet Smart at the Banfield Vet and the vet tech weighed him in front of me. He was 81 lbs. That was in October! Wolfie was weighed at his own vet at 19 weeks and weighed in at 50 lbs. So that means from 5 months old to 1 year old only gained 8 lbs? I think not! I am hoping that he was 78 or 88 lbs and it was a typo. The reason I hope this is that what if he needed treatment for something that weight is important, and they have him down at 58 lbs?! I am worried that they are careless and wondering if I should say anything about this or find a new vet? What would you do?

·
Registered
32,041 Posts
I wouldn't look for a new vet but I also found out the hard way that vet techs and vets aren't always so good at handling animals. I would call the vet and share my concerns with them and go in and reweigh him.

·
Registered
604 Posts
There are plenty of vets out there. If I wasn't satisfied with the treatment, I'd be out of there.

I wound up at my current vet's office when I caught my old one padding the bill ("office visit" fee, "examination" fee, "supplies" fee when none were used, etc.).

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
I agree, they rushed the whole process. The scale has to adjust as the dog settles, so will bounce around. They probably didn't wait for that. And like you know, rush to inject the chip. I would take him back in there, have them scan it so you can see exactly the position it is on his body(and if it even reads).
The vet should really have a talk w/ the tech too. Otherwise they will lose clients. If that visit goes badly or if they try to charge you, change clinics.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did ask them to show me where the chip is. They scanned it for me and showed me, but I wonder if she would have if I hadn't asked.

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
So where is it? Sometimes the chip will migrate if not implanted properly, did they talk about that? I would bring that up with the vet.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I agree. The Vet Tech should have taken some time with Wolfie to try and settle him a little. I was a Vet Tech for several years. I always tried to take a little extra time with excited dogs. Just think if you didn't, it could easily cause a dog to develop a Vet clinic phobia. I'm betting with Wolfie being excited and them being in a big hurry, they didn't get a good weight on him. If a dog wiggles and moves to much on the scale, it won't produce an accurate weight. I'd have him weighed again. You're right, an inaccurate weight could cause problems if a medical emergency came up. I'd also tell your vet about what happened.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its on his back about 4 inches below the shoulder blades. He has the Home Again chip that isn't supposed to migrate, but the vet tech said to me that it might and sometimes they find them under the armpits. I thought that was strange too.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I would let the vet know about your concerns. They will likely appreciate the feedback re: their staff and hopefully will address the issue with them.
I hate carelessness in any medical record. Why weigh the dogs at all if you aren't going to document it correctly?

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
From what I've read, the chips only migrate if they aren't implanted properly. Maybe they need a refresher lesson on injecting them!

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another thing she did was give me a business card of a local trainer that says Tame Your Beast on the front of it. I agree that Wolfie has a problem with getting excited to see people and other animals, but he isn't mean, he just gets very vocal, the tail is going a hundred miles an hour, and he twirls around. I told them that he just passed his intermediate obedience levels with flying colors. His trainer said he just needs to mature. I am looking to continue lessons but thought it was a bit insulting the way they shoved the card at me, pushing someones training business.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From what I've read, the chips only migrate if they aren't implanted properly. Maybe they need a refresher lesson on injecting them!
I think so too!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I would do as others have suggested and speak with someone in charge.
As far as the techs go . . . microchips HURT! Of course they should try to make friends. If you are going to assault the dog like that, try to be nice about it! :D But, maybe the techs were having an "off" day?
As far as the weight goes it may just not have been updated in the computer system . . . but, was hopefully correct in the paper file. Unless your clinic is paperless?! :eek:

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
Yea, thats a whole nother thread subject!
I'd much rather deal with a Wolfie than an Onyx if I were a vet tech!

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would do as others have suggested and speak with someone in charge.
As far as the techs go . . . microchips HURT! Of course they should try to make friends. If you are going to assault the dog like that, try to be nice about it! :D But, maybe the techs were having an "off" day?
As far as the weight goes it may just not have been updated in the computer system . . . but, was hopefully correct in the paper file. Unless your clinic is paperless?! :eek:
I didn't think of that. It may not have been updated. The scale is in the waiting room, but I just assumed they had another scale in the back.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I wouldn't switch vets, but I would have said something. I no longer allow my dogs to be taken to the back for routine procedures like that. There is no reason they had to remove him behind closed doors for a microchip. My old vet who I had been using for over 17 yrs had a ton of new inexperienced people in that, for whatever reason, began basically taking a history and then listening to heart, lungs, etc and everything else was done "in the back."

No thanks.

I had to say multiple times for various things that my dog was staying in the room, or I was going in the back, and finally switched vets. They were too rushed for everything, always running late even if the place wasn't busy, prices got jacked up, customer service was awful, and they were flat out dishonest at times. They were too focused on annual vaccines and not willing to talk about alternate vaccination schedules and opinions, and got rude after awhile.

So I switched.

My point in all that is that this one incident wouldn't make me switch, but it would raise red flags to watch for other issues.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I didn't think of that. It may not have been updated. The scale is in the waiting room, but I just assumed they had another scale in the back.
In the clinics I have been to (4) the only scales are in the waiting room.
You should expect Wolfie to be weighed at every visit!

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
I don't let them take my dogs back without me either.
But sometimes the dogs will behave better without the owner in view.
I help my vet with Onyx because she has fear aggression so I am always at her head(muzzled and aced) while they do any procedures on her. I trust my vet, but not the techs because they come and go, I don't know them enough to trust.
What works for us with her is putting a towel over her eyes so she cannot see whats up and do the procedures quickly. We put her on a table too, that tends to comfort her more than the bending over her before the towel comes.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have ALWAYS gone back with my dogs...I wouldn't take them anywhere that I wasn't allowed.

But yes, say something to your vet.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts