German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new and this forum is so wonderful! would appreciate help on how to switch a 2 y.o. GSD who has gastrointestinal issues and damaged intestinal miroflora to raw? Thor never had raw food in his life, and also has diarrhea issues last 10 months, the vet first mentioned pancreatitis, than gastroenteritis, gave infusions and antibiotics (two rounds), he got better but still has watery stools time to time, and eats white rice and cooked chicken breast. He also take probiotics and prebiotics. Would switching him to raw make his intestinal flora worse? with what raw food should I start to be careful with his bad digestion.
Thank you.

·
Registered
30,850 Posts

My answer to you on the other thread.

I would start with testing for EPI, SIBO, IBD, food allergies. There must be a cause of the GI distress. Until I had answers to that, I would not put him on raw. I would put him on a prescription diet that has hydrolyzed protein and is easy to digest to see if that helped him. He can not live on white rice and chicken.

Raw diets are NOT a cure for all that ails them. The only way to fix the intestinal flora imbalance is to give species appropriate probiotics. Dogs have different flora than we do and need a product designed for them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

My answer to you on the other thread.

I would start with testing for EPI, SIBO, IBD, food allergies. There must be a cause of the GI distress. Until I had answers to that, I would not put him on raw. I would put him on a prescription diet that has hydrolyzed protein and is easy to digest to see if that helped him. He can not live on white rice and chicken.

Raw diets are NOT a cure for all that ails them. The only way to fix the intestinal flora imbalance is to give species appropriate probiotics. Dogs have different flora than we do and need a product designed for them.
Sorry posted wrongly in another thread! Thank you for your valuable answer. Do you mean that his probiotics should be determined by these tests? I
will try to give Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Canine Hydrolyzed Protein Adult HP Dry Dog Food if we can find it where we live :)
He does not have any allergies symptoms, but his GI system was always problematic. :( he's just turned two, and is on a skinny side.
thank you again, I think I will find many useful info on this forum!

·
Registered
30,850 Posts
No. I mean to make sure you are not just pulling a probiotic off the shelf that is designed for humans. Dogs have different flora. I like the Jarrows petdolphilus (I think that's the spelling) because it contains strains specifically for dogs.

Chronic diarrhea IS a symptom of food allergies.

If he's always had this issue then you need to calm his system down and let it heal first. That's what the hydrolyzed protein food does. I would do that before I started playing with raw foods, or any other foods.

Then I would make the vet test for EPI and SIBO. If those come back negative then you may have to test for IBD, which I believe is a procedure where they biopsy his stomach. My understanding is It's not invasive, much like us having a scope done for an ulcer where they nip a small piece of stomach. But it's still a procedure.

What country are you in?? If none of this was brought up by your vet, you might want to find a different one.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
I agree with Jax. You need to rule out every possiblity and try to get a good diagnosis. A vet can prescribe the prescription food. You can’t but it OTC. They also make treats from the same ingredients so if you go that route, don’t give your dog anything else as treats or you defeat the food challenge, which is what the hydrolized protein diet is.

·
Registered
268 Posts
No. I mean to make sure you are not just pulling a probiotic off the shelf that is designed for humans. Dogs have different flora. I like the Jarrows petdolphilus (I think that's the spelling) because it contains strains specifically for dogs.

Chronic diarrhea IS a symptom of food allergies.

If he's always had this issue then you need to calm his system down and let it heal first. That's what the hydrolyzed protein food does. I would do that before I started playing with raw foods, or any other foods.

Then I would make the vet test for EPI and SIBO. If those come back negative then you may have to test for IBD, which I believe is a procedure where they biopsy his stomach. My understanding is It's not invasive, much like us having a scope done for an ulcer where they nip a small piece of stomach. But it's still a procedure.

What country are you in?? If none of this was brought up by your vet, you might want to find a different one.

According to his flag, Georgia.

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
Give him what dogs have always eaten in Georgia— leftovers from what you eat. Avoid cooked bones, but do try everything else.
Rice and chicken breast alone are not nutritious enough. If I had to feed chicken, I would go with legs. You can add green beans, squash, and pumpkin. Do feed some beef, if you can.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts