German Shepherds Forum banner

Would I be a good Mom?

995 views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  RebelGSD 
How old is this boy? If he is in a southern shelter and is over a year old, there is a very good chance he may have heartworms. Heartworm treatment estimates in Ontario start at $900 and go up. Just something to keep in mind.

How long are you prepared to work with him if he's not an instant good fit? Can you keep him separated from your other dogs should the need arise?

Are you well connected with local rescues should you need to rehome him? Will you stand behind him and take him back if a placement you make does not work out? How will you check out prospective homes if you need to place him? Are you prepared to have a contract with that home?

Not trying to discourage you, but these are all things you need to think about. I have done a long distance adoption myself which worked out well, but all these things were under discussion when we took the plunge.

Not sure where you are in Ontario, but Ohio is not that far.

Nice looking boy, hope you can work something out. The black ones always need extra help. Thanks for considering him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.