German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I know they are still extreme to many people, I have to say that since returning to the conformation world of AKC, the German Shepherds have become more moderate and more correct. Temperaments seem improved also.

Several decades ago, the males especially, tended to be slabby, of poor secondary sex characteristics, very extreme with sloppy hock action. These days I see many dogs who are quite masculine and not as extreme with more moderate topline and nice movement. I used to pass up the male exhibition and now I see dogs that are of substance with real secondary sex characteristics.

This year, Eli would have been my pick for grand victor but then nobody asked me anyway! He did come in second select. He is a robust dog with a one big masculine head. What I have seen of him in person, he appeared of sound temperament also.

MV.AM.&CAN.SEL.EX.CH EJM N' EKO-LAN'S ELI - German shepherd dog

EJM N' Eko-Lan's Eli

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
He is very nice, but being that he's not even 3 yet, I'd say maturity played a part in the decision. I think Roger is a pretty ok dog. He will also be 7 in 9 days, and so definitely has the maturity on Eli.

I think Eli will be a big contender next year.

Any thoughts on the top two bitches?

·
Registered
31,950 Posts
I was at one of those running vid parties, and the general consensus was for Eli. But everyone really liked the winner's bitch/grand vixtrix.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I too thought the WB and then GV was very nice.

I don't think Aregon was much over 3 years old last year when he went GV. Eli at a similar age is quite enough dog, IMO. I don't know how many 7 year old dogs have gone GV though. I don't think that much maturity is the requisite. Full Throttle was GV in 2008 and I believe he was born in 2006.

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
Eli was my pick for GV, and I thought he had it until the end. The WB/GV was breath-taking! She looked better on Saturday than Friday.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I don't think that much maturity is the requisite.
I don't either, as a general whole, but when I look at Eli, I just don't see a "finished" dog yet (in terms of maturity).

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Does anyone know how much he weighs? He looks like a monster to me!

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I don't know how much Eli weighs. He is not a really tall dog and his weight is appropriate but, he is a muscled guy with a broad chest and head.

This dog was the WD in the specialty before the national. I had admired his picture on the internet and then kinda spooky.. I saw him at the national. Next I get to help transport him to his new home. We traveled across several states and he was a dog of good temperament and confidence no matter where we were or who was with him. The world is his oyster. He is not extreme and is masculine. I like the Eddie dog.

Edales Eddison

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
He's very nice, I can dig that! I wish he had better color but I do like the head. I don't think he's too extreme for my tastes, just wish they were not stacked doing the splits (I'm looking at sibling photos on PDB).

·
Registered
155 Posts
I didn`t watch any of the national this year. But the photos I have seen, it sure was a great bunch. Eli is a gorgeous boy.

But I do know, I love Eddie (Edale`s Eddison), having watched him grow up I maybe a litlle bias.

At his first show 6 months of age...RWD and Best Puppy specialty show

At a year.

At 2 years.

krisk
Sunflower`s Immortal of Dilquin
BIM Edale`s Wild Thyme (Ch. pt`d)
Hausemekon`s Caught Red Handed (co-owned)
Rainbowbridge
BPIS.Ch.Sunflower`s Kissin Kris CD,TC,HIC
Sunflower`s Aztec Asyak CD,TC

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Those are handsome boys! I do still feel like they have excessive rear leg length, certainly compared to the GSDCA illustrated standard. That is what makes it possible for them to be stacked like they are doing a split. But I think that trait is here to stay in not only American and German show GSDs but lots of other breeds too.

I actually don't see too many Amline males lacking masculine characteristics any more either. In fact, more than anything I see ones which IMO have gone too far in the other direction. Too heavy boned, too much chest with heavy heads and "droopy" looking expressions. Roman noses seen to be becoming pretty common too, although I saw that with the overly fine boned dogs too (my 13 year old Amline bitch has a slight roman nose and she's moderate in every way). Huge bat ears used to be pretty common with Amline GSDs too but I've been seeing that a lot less as well. But that "droopy" look to me detracts from the regal look GSDs should have as much as the ultra-fine boned, pointy heads and bat ears do.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
But that "droopy" look to me detracts from the regal look GSDs should have as much as the ultra-fine boned, pointy heads and bat ears do
Do you mean the loose flews?

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I don't like the huge bat ears and/or wide ear sets (this is not a criticism of any line in particular). Nikon has a bit of both going on, lol! I once saw Dallas criticized for having small ears but I like his ears! Maybe set a bit wide but I like that size and shape. I really do NOT like heads that are too fine. I like a good stop, the more stop the better.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Yes excessively loose flews and often even almost droopy eyelids. IMO it gives them a houndy look.
I agree, that drives me nuts.

I once saw Dallas criticized for having small ears but I like his ears!
I liked the size of his ears, but not the set. I don't mind large ears (like Mirada's) if the set is correct (also like Mirada's). Wide set ears (which is what I refer to as bat ears) drive me nuts.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have spent some time with Eli, he is a great sound dog. I agree , my pick as well!
he is very impressive in person! I have a 1/2 brother of his. and know his dad Oscar personally , in my opinoin Oscar will and is already bringing a healthier , solid dog back to the confirmation ring.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I watched the national on live stream, Eli should have had it, he was shown to perfection, I have no idea why B. Amidon put him second. Last year he was a Sel#7 this year he was BOS in the Maturity.
The bitch who took GV out of the classes is only 1 1/2 yrs old, beautiful girl, bit of an upset over CH. girls, but she's out of Bailey.
Next year the live stream might be free to GSDCA members......... :)
Judy Sheaffer

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is nice about the live streaming being free to members next year. I did hear about a number of people watching that way.

Hopefully I will be able to attend next year. It seems a long way off but then again this one rolled around very quickly!

Can someone tell me again how the judge voting for next year came out?

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
The bitch who took GV out of the classes is only 1 1/2 yrs old, beautiful girl, bit of an upset over CH. girls, but she's out of Bailey.
I'm kind of late reading this thread, but the dam of my puppy Carly is a full sister to the Grand Victrix (WOLF CREEK AQUILLA OF MERIVERN).
Kind of nice to see her do well at the Nationals. :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts