German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 month old German Shepherd is a little land shark and she loves eating anything and everything . 2 days ago I noticed she stopped wanting to eat anything , didn't really put too much thought into it , because this has happened before . But then I noticed her acting slow and lethargic , which is really unusual for her .

Well yesterday I took her to the vet because I thought she might have contracted Parvo , did the test and she was neg . So then we decided to do a X-ray and she appeared to have a obstruction in her intestine .

From there we took her to a 24 hour animal hospital because the vet would be closed that night , the animal hospital ended up quoting us about 8,000!! I walked out of there , and told them id take my chances somewhere else because there was no way I could pay that .

The puppy is ok right now , but she is very skinny and dehydrated. I will be taking her to local vets this morn hopefully to find a more reasonable prices .

Please be careful with anything on the floor and don't let this nightmare happen to you . Wish us luck , I will keep everyone posted on her condition . Thank you

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I had this happen with my Weim 4 times! socks, hair ties and womens underware....All of those times it started with him vomiting and such and after a trip to the vet a blockage each time, we were fortunate that each of these times he was able to pass it with a barrium enima and not need the opperation. I really hope he is able to pass it, I feel so bad for your little guy :0(

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
and please, keep us posted! I know I will for sure being praying for your little girl and checking back hoping she's ok.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
So sorry to hear about your little pup - I think a lot of us have had similar experiences, and try as we might they always seem to find the one item we have neglected to put away..... I hope you are able to find help soon for your little "shark". Our Conor used to get into everything too, and swallowed a sock on more than one occasion - fortunately, he threw both of them back up, so no trip to the ER was necessary. Fingers and paws crossed for you, we will be looking for good news ......

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge :angel:

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
If your puppy has a total obstruction and is not eating or drinking she will die without surgical intervention. Please look into care credit to pay for the surgery.

ETA: Unfortunately this is very common, especially in gsds and labs. I really hope you find a vet that will work with you!

·
Registered
772 Posts
If your puppy has a total obstruction and is not eating or drinking she will die without surgical intervention. Please look into care credit to pay for the surgery.

ETA: Unfortunately this is very common, especially in gsds and labs. I really hope you find a vet that will work with you!
Yep, so true! These things always happen on the weekends. When my former ACD had a piece of cow hoof lodged in her stomach it was $1500 between the E-Vet and my regular Vet who did the surgery. Lily survived this episode, she died a few years later from intestinal lymphoma.

I have also had my current ACD have a couple of partial blockages from eating things she wasn't supposed to. My GSD Lexi has scared me some too but she has not required hospitalization.

Don't hesitate to take your dog in, it could be life or death! I hope she will be ok.

Kristina

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Try a barium enema it worked twice when my lab ate my underwear while my DH was on puppy duty. Do it outside of course and if it doesn't come out invest in some pedialyte for hydration until Monday when you can go to your normal vet. Some vets will take a portion down and work with you on payment plans:)

·
Registered
386 Posts
OUCH!!! im sorry that really sucks.... but to be honest i wouldn't be able to pay that much cash either... maybe you could start a fund around your area to help? i wish you and your pup well, but under those circumstances i really couldn't tell you what i would do.. probably something i really wish i wouldn't have to

good luck and stay strong

·
Registered
32,042 Posts
You really need to make a decision regarding veterinary care.

Intestinal Obstruction and Gastrointestinal Foreign Bodies in Dogs on MedicineNet

An intestinal obstruction can be partial or complete. Partial obstructions cause intermittent vomiting and/or diarrhea, which tend to occur over several weeks. Complete obstructions produce sudden abdominal pain and vomiting that continues without relief. When the blockage is in the upper small bowel, the vomiting may be projectile. Blockages in the lower GI tract cause abdominal distension and the vomiting of brown, fecal-smelling material. Dogs with complete obstruction pass no stool or gas.

Intestinal strangulation occurs when the obstruction interferes with the blood supply to the bowel. Within hours the bowel becomes gangrenous. The dog's condition deteriorates rapidly (see Peritonitis).

The diagnosis of intestinal obstruction is made by abdominal X-rays or ultrasound showing distended, gas-filled loops of bowel.
Treatment: Obstructions require immediate veterinary attention. Surgical exploration and relief of the blockage is necessary. Gangrenous bowel is resected back to viable bowel, and intestinal continuity is restored with end-to-end suturing of the bowel.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Try a barium enema it worked twice when my lab ate my underwear while my DH was on puppy duty. Do it outside of course and if it doesn't come out invest in some pedialyte for hydration until Monday when you can go to your normal vet. Some vets will take a portion down and work with you on payment plans:)
a barium enema is mainly used for fluoroscopy to see the lining of the intestinal tract and find exactly where the blockage is... as far as i know (im a retired radiology tech) barium wouldn't be ideal to remove a blockage, at best they could do a saline enema to enlarge the large intestine, to a point, but a whole sock most likely wouldn't even pass the ileum (area where the small intestine joins the large intestine) the best way to look at the small intestine is through oral ingestion of barium and even then thats mainly to look at the stomach lining.. (also depending on the size of the sock, if it was mine, a size 13, it wouldn't even pass the pyloric sphincter) they may be able to perform endoscopy to remove the sock if its still in the stomach... other then that they may have to an endoscopic surgery to cut the intestine to remove the object (this would be the expensive part) and if there is a large perforation of the intestine, they may have to remove parts of the intestine... but all these depend of where the sock is, how big it is, and if the peristalsis has stopped (the intestines are very delicate, even a hard punch to the stomach or a small cut in the intestine could halt peristalsis causing even more blockage )

how big was the sock?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Your right saline enema OTC,lol and it may help it sure did my lab. Honestly it can't hurt to try until Monday:)
well if you do it by vet, the enema tube will inflate to pressurize and extend the large intestine to let out extra waste, if you use a "douche" (pardon my explanation) style enema then you will only clear out a small portion and it will not pressurize and inject the fluid further up the intestine.. but it wouldn't hurt any i suppose... but like i said before, depends on the location of the sock

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
From the x-ray do they know where the sock is exactly? If it isn't further down the bowl you are right about it not possibly helping, but it will release wastes that are probably in limbo right now and need to go before the bowl obstructs and/or infection sets in. I used an OTC enema on my lab with the tip you insert but I added some tubing secured well for extra reach into the netherregions and have never heard about the douche kind- now I'm curious,lol The tubing I used I got from the NICU where I interned with permission of course but all things came out as hoped and he was happy go lucky within days with only a little loose stool:)

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
OMG this is scary! My dog picks up socks but has never ate one. I do not know what I would do with an $8000 estimate either. I guess that is why I got pet insurance but I did not get that much.

I hope your pup will be ok, that is a long time to go with a blockage.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Oh my goodness, I hope everything "comes out" okay.

I wonder if pet insurance would cover something like this?

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Depends on the insurance, but almost all (if not all) of them require you to come up with the funds first, then they reimburse you for it (usually minus a deduct. and co-pay) a period of time later.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts