German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not used to having a lean dog. Ozzy is the only one of our dogs that's not overweight, and I'm wondering if he's too thin.

I'll try to get better pics of him to make it easier. I'm at school right now and this was on my PhotoBucket. The angle makes him look a little 'thicker' than he is.

But since he's got a bit thicker coat (and growing), I can only go off of feeling his body. I can feel his ribs just fine, but they're not protruding from his body.

He's fed a little over 1/4 cup a day and the minimal exercise he gets is around 45 minutes of fetch (nonstop). More often than not though, he also gets a 30 minute to an hour long walk.

He's also in the lanky stage, so maybe that's why he seems skinnier to me? A lot of people say that he looks too skinny, but many of these people have fat dogs. And I think that's why I'm worrying - I'm so used to being around fat dogs. :help:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
If you can feel his ribs, but not see them, I wouldn't worry about it. Plus, if he's a puppy he's still got growing to do and sometimes one portion of the body can be larger than the other when still growing.

·
Registered
936 Posts
thin layer of fat over ribs = okay. Hourglass figure good.

I only know GSDs and Labradors so I also go by age of breed and average gains for age.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts