German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

So I am thinking about neutering Buddy in April, when will be 9 months old. It is very hard decision for me to make, I wanted to wait a bit longer, until he is older, but we are planning to travel in summer and they won’t take him to any day care otherwise.
I am just so worried, that he will change after the surgery, like his personality. He is very very good gentle dog. He is very playful and full of energy. I have heard that usually dogs become mellower and I don’t certainly want him to become “veggie”.
I already feel bad that I have to put him through this. Have you noticed any changes in your dog’s personalities after the surgery?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
No change whatsoever and it has been five years. His weight is good and he has plenty of energy. Nothng "veggie" about my guy.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Alot of the "myths" about spaying or netuering are old wifes tales. You dog will be better for it, happier and healthy!

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
The only personality change I've ever seen is a decrease in aggression towards other male dogs (if there was any prior to neutering). We neutered our boy Leo right at the same age as your pup and he just turned three - and he's STILL a great big giant rambunctious puppy.

I think a lot of of the "personality change" and "weight gain" stuff that people think they observe has much more to do with the age dogs are often neutered. Most dogs are very active during adolescence and calm down some as they age, regardless of if they get neutered or not, it just happens around the same time.

·
Registered
465 Posts
No change here either. Koda is still as full energy and goofy as always!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts