German Shepherds Forum banner

Worried about my pup's ears not standing up

3K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Lunacy 
#1 ·
Hey guys!

I just got this good boy around 4 days ago, his name is Jaeger. He comes from a working line.
I noticed that one of his ears seems droopy compared to the other.. I don't know if this is a problem, like if it will cease to stand?
He always lays in the back of the crate to go asleep, his head against the wiring because that's what he finds comfortable, I guess.
I've read online that this was bad and I should try to not let him sleep like this, but I can't stop him? He'll get hyper when I open the crate and think It's play time and finally go back to sleep, but back into his usual position. Should I be worried at all? He is 8 weeks and 2 days old btw.

I'll include some pictures of him.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
It can take as long as 9 months or more for ears to stand. Your pup is just a baby and his ears will go up, come down, flop over, fall sideways, you name it, before they come up to stay. If they come up now, they will most likely fall back down as soon as he starts to teethe.

Don't worry about his ears or how he sleeps. His ears look fine and very cute.

Enjoy your lovely pup and do your best to keep him happy and healthy.

#10 ·
Hello and welcome! Cute puppy! 8 weeks is still really early to worry about his ears not coming up. They can go up and down until he is done teething. His ears look like they have some lift already. My inclination is to think they will go up. Have fun with him and take lots of pictures!

#14 ·
Welcome to the forum......hopefully all your fears will be allayed about your good looking pup's ears.....but it took at least 4 years for my own ears to stand up......

As far as a couple of my GSD's ears......I recall getting a bit nervous when they weren't standing after X amount of time......but eventually they did just fine.

Enjoy your GSD's puppydom.....it's a fleeting moment that seems like an eternity at the moment........

SuperG

#15 ·
Thank you for the positive reinforcement!! Also, I forgot to mention a major thing, the first day we got him home, my mom decided to show him to her friend and she was stroking his ears, I don't think "crumpling" was involved but needless to say, we told her that it was a bad thing to do. Is this something I should be worried about? ?

#16 ·
I think this is similar to the crate-sleeping thing. If petting a pup's ears really damaged them, then almost no one would have GSD's with fully erect ears. I'm sure they'll be just fine!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.