German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kaiser has started salivating. He has never done this before and seems a little out of sorts. I was working on the computer so I didnt have my eye on him for a while, however, I didn't hear him getting into anything (nothing for him to get into, anyway). I can't into the living room and decided to give both him and dakota a treat. I split a beef cookie from the local doggy bakery and gave each dog half. I noticed a strong of saliva about 10 minutes later coming from kaisers mouth. Dakota was fine. I checked kaisers teeth and didnt see anything. He then started playing for about 10 minutes, then I noticed the drool again. I am now writing to see what you all think.

He's not anxious otherwise, relaxes and lays down, stalks the cat, and plays... All normal behaviors. He seemed confused st the drool, but that was it.

Im keeping my eye on him, but im still worried.

He's never had the beef cookie before... Could he have an allergy that acts that quickly?

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Depending on the texture of the beef cookie, he could have a fairly good piece stuck in his teeth somewhere.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was a hard cookie. I checked twice and even brushed them to be sure but I didn't see anything :( he's napping now but he seemed more unsettled just prior to falling asleep, and still drooled

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Outside of there being a chunk stuck I don't know. Call the vet and ask their opinion

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vets office said to watch him and bring him tomorrow if it doesn't stop... Which, it still hasn't. I asked what else it could be other than a cookie stuck in his tooth or gum and they couldn't, or wouldn't, tell me. :-/

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
A few years back, we had some cookies from a dog bakery and they were very salty. I really don't know what to say, other than watch him. I, myself get more salivation in my mouth before I throw up. Upset stomach?

Hope it gets resolved soon!!

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Could it be something unrelated? The toads are already singing their love songs so I assume the same is going on in the outer banks? Dog picks up or licks one of them and they will be drooling, maybe staggering for a good while.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I'm with Nancy on this one as well. Both dogs ate the same cookie. I'd day it's something else. Maybe a little pumpkin to settle his stomach and see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No toads out yet... It's actually in the 30s! He is swallowing a lot too , but I think that is more associated with the large amounts of drool. I can now tell that he is acting concerned... He will come up to me and whine then walk away. Aside from that though he is still engaging in play, drinking water, and allowing me to look in and feel his teeth. What else could it be?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't think he's bloating... He's acting normal otherwise (napping as we speak) . I didn't know dogs could get tonsillitis... This drooling seemed to come out of nowhere (no signs I can think of). Would that be consistent with tonsillitis?

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Did he throw up something? Pan, who is notorious for swallowing things he shouldn't, has done this several times. Crazy amounts of drool, sometimes lasting a long time, but no other symptoms (acts normal, wants to eat, drink, play, work). Whenever I saw copious amounts of drool, I knew he swallowed and then barfed something. Each time it was a sock. One time he did this at SchH. We had no idea why he was drooling (it lasted almost 2 hours) and basically had no explanation other than he got some mushroom in his mouth during tracking. A little later I discovered a regurgitated sock in his crate, under his crate mat. Once I find the sock to verify he actually did barf it all out, I give him a little food and plenty of water to get the ick out of his mouth and that usually stops the drool.

·
Registered
391 Posts
My vet said excessive drooling was a sign of upset stomach/nausea or possible cut in the mouth. We have this happen a lot with our lab. I first started noticing it when his favorite frisbee (which he has to have in his mouth constantly) would start falling apart and leaving sharp edges. I also believe his most recent case was due to a bad bag of food giving him a stomach upset.

Id' say if you're very concerned, take him to the vet now.

·
Registered
766 Posts
If it's causing you stress, take him to the vet, get it checked out. Being careful doesn't hurt. If it's something serious, better to catch it earlier vs later anyway.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No digestive upset and no regurgitation (or attempts). I just called again and we will be going in the morning first thing (places close early here). He is itching his head a lot (ears/mouth/neck)... I'm not sure what that's about. He's got a stuffie in his mouth acting silly now (good) ... And dripping slime everywhere :(

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
This could be a sign of pre-bloat...do you have gas-x strips? these are pretty instant relief.

If you are not going to go to the vet until tomorrow do you have activated charcoal on hand?
The drooling and restlessness is a concern - and dogs bloating will try to drink I believe

He is in some kind of discomfort

I came across a type of intussusception, there are many and symptoms depend on where telescoping is...thinking back a couple months ago about thread about kaiser and vomiting/or regurgitating...this may be related and found it termed as "intermittent gastroesophageal intussusception" very rare but yet another GSD condition. The symptom to this is hypersalivation.

I'd get to the vet.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts