German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

My dog Zeus have semi worn canine teeth, he turns 6 in february, the vet says its normal wear for an active dog and doesnt need to be done anything at this moment.. But it really seems like a lot in my opinion, others have this problem with their dogs?

(He doesn’t play with tennis balls, but loves his footballs tho)

Hand Leg Human body Eyelash Jaw

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nitro will be 8 next month, his teeth are the same, my vet isn't concerned either.
I am happy to hear that, always get abit worried when it comes to my dogs teeth and keeping them healthy, does yours also have a yellowish tone at top with a tiny dent in the middle?

·
Registered
Eska von den Roten Vorbergen
4,173 Posts
My male GSD, Ranger, loved to play with rocks. As fast as I removed them from the yard, he'd dig up new ones. When I moved onto the property, the flower beds were edged with landscaping stones, so there was quite a large supply. He'd dig them out of the borders, and leave them hidden in the long grass, so I could run over them with the lawn mower. :rolleyes: His bottom canines were in a similar state, and it never caused any trouble. He lived to be 14 years old.

·
Registered
12,924 Posts
Deja is 8 years old and her teeth are not as sharp as when she was young but they are not worn like that. I think it's because the only time she chews is when she eats her raw food. That's chicken backs nowadays as turkey necks have become too tough. I never give them recreational bones or chew toys that they have access to all the time. Occasionally a bully stick but that's gone within a few minutes. Fortunately her teeth never need cleaning or brushing. Picture from this morning.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Hello!

My dog Zeus have semi worn canine teeth, he turns 6 in february, the vet says its normal wear for an active dog and doesnt need to be done anything at this moment.. But it really seems like a lot in my opinion, others have this problem with their dogs?

View attachment 582420
That seems like a lot of wear to me. Willow is 5.5 and her teeth aren't nearly that worn, and she DOES play with tennis balls and sticks.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Hand Shoe Leg Cat Vertebrate

My 12 y/o lab mixes teeth. She has never been a chewer which is what seems to wear teeth down the quickest. Friction is friction even if a toy is dog safe. None of my dogs have ever been recreational chewers, but I don't encourage it either since I know it can be damaging to teeth.

·
Registered
Carmspack Gus
3,747 Posts
Hello!

View attachment 582420
What kind of toys is she chewing?
when I see this kind of wear, my thoughts immediately go to jolly balls.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
As most of you probably know, Star was a power chewer, but I never let her have tennis balls or anything with a nap on it. Her teeth had only a normal amount of wear by the time I had her PTS last year. Most of the toys I gave her were hard rubber.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What kind of toys is she chewing?
when I see this kind of wear, my thoughts immediately go to jolly balls.
He mostly just plays with footballs, where most of Them are deflated 😅

when he was little, he loved carrying rocks, but wear mostly started around 4-6 years old

·
Registered
226 Posts
My girl is 7 but her canines have looked like that since about age 3. I think she broke them off chewing on Nylabones which I no longer give her. She has also worn her front lower teeth down - one of them is just a nub, but it doesn't seem to bother her. I asked the vet about it a couple of years ago when it was just worn and the vet didn't seem concerned. I think the tooth composition probably varies a great deal among dogs and some wear teeth faster than others.

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
There must be a genetic role, at least in part. Zoey wore her canines, but the teeth directly behind them wore down badly by age 7. That was caused by carrying a ball and occasionally chomping on it. The wear on her canines was noticeable much earlier around 3-4 yrs. We have a 4 year old WGSL without a bit of wear on any of his teeth and he chews on anything he can all the time.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
My girl is 7 but her canines have looked like that since about age 3. I think she broke them off chewing on Nylabones which I no longer give her. She has also worn her front lower teeth down - one of them is just a nub, but it doesn't seem to bother her. I asked the vet about it a couple of years ago when it was just worn and the vet didn't seem concerned. I think the tooth composition probably varies a great deal among dogs and some wear teeth faster than others.
An e-friend had a corgi that did over $3000 worth of damage to its teeth chewing on Nylabones (cracked therm)! So, yes, Nylabones can cause damage.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Felidae Beard Whiskers Eyelash Snout
Eye Facial expression Mouth Dog breed Organ

Nitro lost the 'genetic lottery', regarding his health. He's been on some serious medication for the past 4 years, and is currently on 6 medications, including antibiotics. Just mentioning it, as medications can 'compromise' human teeth. I'm guessing it's the same for dogs. An he loves his toys.

·
Registered
12,924 Posts
View attachment 582455 View attachment 582456

Nitro lost the 'genetic lottery', regarding his health. He's been on some serious medication for the past 4 years, and is currently on 6 medications, including antibiotics. Just mentioning it, as medications can 'compromise' human teeth. I'm guessing it's the same for dogs. An he loves his toys.
If that is the pulp showing, it must hurt him.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Ziva's lower front teeth were always tiny and her canines wore down early (by age 3-4). Last fall she had a cleaning. The vet was concerned that she was seeing pulp. X-rays confirmed dentin had formed a protective barrier over the pulp and no infection or root damage was occurring. Seems she is in the genetic crappy teeth group as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts