German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
I have a 2 year old German Shepherd and he is perfectly healthy but I would like to de-worm him.
I haven’t seen signs of worms, admittedly I have not looked much. He has spent most of his life eating chicken poop, he has a strange addiction.
last summer we also had a male goat and he was also addicted to eating his poop as well.
He got his normal shots as a puppy but that was all, nothing since.
We live in Florida now from upstate NY and here we have fleas.
I have heard that fleas can cause problems with worms also, so with all of these factors I imagine it would be smart to de-worm him.
We also have a 15year old little terrier dog that hasn’t been to the vet in a long time, and I heard that you need to worm both dogs at the same time?.
All advice is very welcome and appreciated! Thank you

Wood Carnivore Felidae Pet supply Plant

·
Super Moderator
7,944 Posts
It's not unusual to see no sign of worms since the eggs are microscopic.Fleas are the biggest spreader of tape worms, which sometimes segments show up in their poop that look like rice.Are your dogs getting year round heartworm preventitve? They will need it being in Florida. Legally they must be vaccinated for rabies every three years. Time to schedule vet appts. and go over all of this with a professional.

Reactions: Sabis mom and mnm

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No he doesn’t take heart worm meds.
I’m not interested in anything that they need to take on the regular. He is still good on the rabies vaccination so that is not an issue.
I am looking for recommendations on de-wormers that’s all.
I avoid the vet unless I absolutely need to. DIY is my style.
I’m looking for recommendations on which de-wormers to use.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,944 Posts
They need to be dewormed regularly too unfortunately. The eggs are constantly picked up on their feet and fur.Sorry, I have no recommendations of any meds that are effective for years at a time. Best of luck as you do your research.

Reactions: Cassidy's Mom

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
There’s no dewormer that’s good all year. If I suspect a problem I will two different dewormers. Otherwise I only use safeguard. I use the liquid kind for goats, which gives you more treatments for less money. It’s also good for things like giardia. I would look for it at a local animal feed store.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Your dog needs to be on a regular monthly deworming schedule. Heartworms can be a vey serious health issue, even causing death. It's more prevalent in warmer climates where there are lots of mosquito's. In Florida, you need to be treating year around. Where I am located, I treat from early Spring through late Fall. That is basic care for pet owners.

·
Super Moderator
32,747 Posts
Random strangers on the internet are not the best place to ask for veterinary advice. It's certainly your option to "DIY", but when it comes to the life and health of your pets I don't think many people here are going to condone that route. Untreated heartworms can be fatal, which is why most people use preventive meds on a regular basis, particularly in parts of the country where they are prevalent such as the south and southeast, where you live. The treatment for a dog infected with heartworms can also be life threatening.

If you don't trust the advice of your vet, perhaps it's time to look for a new one. 🙂 They went to school to learn about veterinary medicine, you didn't.

·
Registered
10,938 Posts
Living in Florida means absolutely needing to give heartworm meds.
At minimum, an annual vet visit for a heartworm test is necessary, because Heartgard can’t be given if your dog is already infected.

Heartworms are the worst thing that can happen to your dog. It is a horrible death. If he gets them, you will never forgive yourself. Treatment is horrible, expensive and dangerous.

You only need to give Heartgard every 45 days instead of 30, if you don’t skip doses and take care to give it to him on the exact day.
The Plus version will also take care of any worms he may have picked up.

You can buy Heartgard for less money from reputable online pet pharmacies, if price is a factor.

Look at that boy’s face. Doesn’t he deserve to be protected?
Dog German shepherd dog Carnivore Dog breed Grey

·
Registered
111 Posts
As someone who has went though heartworm with our first GSD, I would strongly recommend taking the advice you were given by others in this thread. We were lucky our boy survived with treatment and lived a good life but it was a terrible experience for all of us…

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate everyone's opinion. I have been doing lots of research. I do not trust most Veterinarians and I have good reason that I will not get into.
Ivermectin is the active ingredient in HeartGuard. I am not against using Ivermectin on my GSD, but I want to make sure that it is safe. My dog has incredible health and I want to keep it that way. Since he was a young pup he has been eating raw green tripe regularly, he was raised on ZiwiPeak and raw sardines, gets more than enough exercise, etc, so you can all stop with the contentious attitudes. I take good care of my dog.
Im not getting on the HeartGuard train, period.

I will however give him Ivermectin.
Heartworm infection is NOT rapid and will not kill your dog overnight.

"It takes about three months for microfilaria (baby worms) to grow inside your dog to a larval stage, and even longer for these larva to mature into adult heartworms. If your dog is dosed with a simple Ivermectin treatment at any time during this period before adult worms are present (a period that lasts about three months long), the larvae will never develop into adult worms, and will die. Read that statement again: a single dose of Ivermectin will stop heartworm dead up to 3 months after your dog is first infected. "

Since posting this I have read plenty of cases where people on these here forums give ivermectin to their GSD with no problems as long as the dosing is correct.
I am going to try the Ivermectin on him.
I know about the mutant gene. I will start at a very low dose and see how he reacts.

thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,944 Posts
As you're doing research don't skip over how easy it is to mis measure ivermectin.6.0 vs .06 vs .006.....
Also how animals pick up worm eggs and cysts daily and the benefits of treating them proactively.Tick borne disease is a problem in your location too and can be fatal.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
‘Read that statement again: a single dose of Ivermectin will stop heartworm dead up to 3 months after your dog is first infected. "’
That’s correct. Large number of microfilaria will die, all at once, causing inflammation and possibly anaphylactic shock and death of your dog. What do you think heartworm treatment is? It’s not about killing the heartworm, it’s about keeping your dog alive in the process…

·
Super Moderator
7,944 Posts
Something I just remembered - Tractor Supply stores have a vet set up once a month. They offer a "cafeteria" of services so you can choose one or more services. Think about getting a heartworm test there. The ones around here offer that anyway. If it's negative then it's safe to start treatment.

Reactions: Hbuttel

·
Registered
10,938 Posts
Heartgard IS Ivermectin. Dosed safely. Not sure what train you’re trying to avoid.

·
Registered
Vigo the GSD & Rooney the Mastiff mix
57 Posts
I hope this link works for you. I find this website really helpful and it sounds like you might have some of the same feelings I do regarding Vets and overmedicating our dogs. Take care! Gorgeous boy you have.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Alright, Today I went to tractor supply and bought 50ml of the 1% sterile solution Ivermectin. I made a 30:1 dilution of the 1% solution, and gave him 0.7cc. Depending upon how he handles this low dose, I may double it next time.
I have no quarrels with Ivermectin. I do however have quarrels with HeartGard and I don't want to get into that here. I know that Ivermectin is the main active ingredient. I will be dosing him every 2.5 months.

I am now looking into a dose of Fenbendazole for tapeworms.

I hope this link works for you. I find this website really helpful and it sounds like you might have some of the same feelings I do regarding Vets and overmedicating our dogs. Take care! Gorgeous boy you have.
Exactly! So many people that I know definitely OVER-medicate their dogs, especially with the fear mongering about flea and tick borne illnesses.
If your dog gets everything that it needs and is in proper health these illnesses are not a problem.
They need proper diet with enough DHA, lots of grounding and exercise, lots of sunshine, and cold exposure is great too.
This will carry them through most illnesses with ease in my opinion.
Thank you for the link

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Something I just remembered - Tractor Supply stores have a vet set up once a month. They offer a "cafeteria" of services so you can choose one or more services. Think about getting a heartworm test there. The ones around here offer that anyway. If it's negative then it's safe to start treatment.
We have only been in FL for 3 months, and there is no way he has heart worm from where we lived before.
Thanks for your help

·
Super Moderator
5,904 Posts
Alright, Today I went to tractor supply and bought 50ml of the 1% sterile solution Ivermectin. I made a 30:1 dilution of the 1% solution, and gave him 0.7cc. Depending upon how he handles this low dose, I may double it next time.
I have no quarrels with Ivermectin. I do however have quarrels with HeartGard and I don't want to get into that here. I know that Ivermectin is the main active ingredient. I will be dosing him every 2.5 months.

I am now looking into a dose of praziquantel for tapeworms.

Exactly! So many people that I know definitely OVER-medicate their dogs, especially with the fear mongering about flea and tick borne illnesses.
If your dog gets everything that it needs and is in proper health these illnesses are not a problem.
They need proper diet with enough DHA, lots of grounding and exercise, lots of sunshine, and cold exposure is great too.
This will carry them through most illnesses with ease in my opinion.
Thank you for the link
May I enquire as to what symptoms these "so many" over medicated dogs show?

Reactions: Cassidy's Mom

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There’s no dewormer that’s good all year. If I suspect a problem I will two different dewormers. Otherwise I only use safeguard. I use the liquid kind for goats, which gives you more treatments for less money. It’s also good for things like giardia. I would look for it at a local animal feed store.
Thank you.

These medications like Fenbendazole and Ivermectin have been shown to have potent anti-cancer effects as well and that is very appealing to me :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
May I enquire as to what symptoms these "so many" over medicated dogs show?
Sure, most notably flea and tick medications.
Seizures, Cancer, Skin problems, Neurological issues, Allergies, Weakened immune systems leading to vulnerability to other illnesses like Lyme etc..
Not to mention what they can do to the humans that live in close quarters to these poor animals, especially children.
Im not looking to get into a debate over this, Ive seen enough with my own eyes and no one will change my mind on this subject

1 - 20 of 31 Posts