German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I myself love to go running daily, but have been r:confused:unning every second day with my Adele, she is a high-drive 10.5 month old fixed female that Joggs with me for 30 minutes thats about 4.5km's. Is this ok? or is she still to young for such a workout? I'm also thinking of taking her for a 15min Jogg the next day ...so basically she would be jogging everday!

...Is this over doing it? or is it good?!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Might be too much because she is still growing and might be too hard on her joints. But I am not a runner as I am barely a walker, so I might be wrong.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
121 Posts
Everything I read suggests you should avoid any forced exercise until they are 12-18 months old as up until then they're growth plates havent fully closed. If you must take them running with you try to find a softer surface than asphalt or concrete.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i wouldn't jog with my dog untill he was 2 yrs old. i also
wouldn't jog with him everyday.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I run with my 10 month old male, and have been since he was about 8 months old. We run a lot, but I stop before he wants to. It isn't forced, he loves to run, and usually goes faster than me. But I am always sure to make sure we are on a dirt trail or grass. I never run him on cement/concrete. If I'm running on the sidewalk, he runs next o me in the grass.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Neither the distance or amount of time for the running would be a problem for my dogs

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would NOT have it be ON a leash and/or on pavement. Too repetitive and higher impact then I like.

That said, I probably go much further distances for much more time with my pups at the same age. But it's OFF leash, so whatever pace the dog chooses as long as they stay ahead of me. May mean they stop dead for me to catch up. Also, I go on trails/woods/grass so not nearly so much impact.

Lots more info ---> http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/development-socialization/111084-proper-exercise-puppies.html

:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts