German Shepherds Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Kreative - prices include airfare, travel, crate and microchip. They also have different purchase prices between males and females...both higher and lower than mentioned.
So no, it doesn’t stop anyone from researching further, but imo can present an incomplete picture.
I stand corrected vis-a-vis Kreative. Looks like you could knock off a few hundred off that price to get a fairer picture.

Certainly anyone buying a dog should conduct their own extensive research about prices in their area and what they're getting, in addition to finding out about the breeder and what dogs they're using. I beg to differ that posting a sampling of available prices in my area is somehow adding noise to this conversation, which is lacking in actual data.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I stand corrected vis-a-vis Kreative. Looks like you could knock off a few hundred off that price to get a fairer picture.

Certainly anyone buying a dog should conduct their own extensive research about prices in their area and what they're getting, in addition to finding out about the breeder and what dogs they're using. I beg to differ that posting a sampling of available prices in my area is somehow adding noise to this conversation, which is lacking in actual data.
Sounds like you're in Arizona area. Those prices do seem high. Heck, you could import a pup right from Jiri Novotny (Jinopo - czech) through Hans (who is in Az) for less than 4K.

I'm not recommending Jiri, just saying you could get well bred pup shipped all the way from Czech for close to the prices you quoted.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
I have researched a ton of breeders all over North America. A well bred WL runs on average around $2000-$2500, the prices I see that are over $2800 seem to largely sell hype. I see flashy sites, with lots of catch phrases selling the same bloodlines available elsewhere for double the price and people pay it.
I look for breeders that know their dogs, not breeders who are selling a product.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Sounds like you're in Arizona area. Those prices do seem high. Heck, you could import a pup right from Jiri Novotny (Jinopo - czech) through Hans (who is in Az) for less than 4K.

I'm not recommending Jiri, just saying you could get well bred pup shipped all the way from Czech for close to the prices you quoted.
Could be, I have no dog in this fight. Half the sites don't even list their prices. It may be that the kind of breeder who lists her price charges more (or less). Or those that list their price may be willing to knock off $ for serious inquiries (I once knew a guitar maker who listed his guitars at $7K but only really charged $5K as far as I could tell). So you'd never know until you get into it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sounds like a poor breeder who has no clue what they are talking about.
Agree - long stock coats and temperament have nothing to do with each other but the intensity of drive may.
That is a ridiculous price.
Most of them are titled dames in Germany, bred and shipped to the states or the pups after they are old enough. The SARS-2 drove the price of shipping and etc up to about a $1000 per pup after they resumed air shipping. They put a lot into them but I agree - for a beautiful companion dog, the price is insane.

·
Registered
47 Posts
That is a ridiculous price.
Don't know what part of Canada you're in but if it is close to Vancouver you might know of K***W***s in the Seattle area for example - not my choice but an example. I look at waiting lists and there are more waiting on females than males - looking to make some money byb'ing? I don't know but ours are also spayed and there are breeders that have told me "the best are sold to working/show homes". Others sell to the elite wealthy which I have seen up to $10,000 for a top placing Seiger/Seigerin breeding. Again not what I want but those breeders know there is a sucker born every minute.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there. I'm by no means an expert on GSDs, but we've had 3. Our current female is a long hair GSD. Her disposition is so different from our previous 2 short haired GSDs. She's now only 15 months, but she is super sweet with everyone and any other furry members of our family. I spoke with a breeder about this and was told that the long haired GSD are usually are less intense. This is mostly because the working line GSD are usually short coats so when they are longer coats it generally means the bloodline has been tempered with a lower drive line allowing for the sweetness. If it had known this when our kids were younger, I definitely would have gone for a long hair pup. She's still very protective, but without the intensity and aloofness of our previous two pups. View attachment 559740
Sounds like a poor breeder who has no clue what they are talking about.
Perhaps she put it in layman’s terms for me. They have been breeding GSD for 25 years and are AKC club members. Our pup was a rescue GSD so they had no reason to misinform.

I think there is some truth to what your breeder told you. I also agree about the laymens terms and that some of the information they gave you may have been lost in the translation. Because the way you worded it, sounds like long hairs are incapable of being strong, civil, dogs which isn't true.

The propensity for higher thresholds and slow to anger is probably where you get "sweetness".

Here is what "Carmspack" said in regards to long hairs in another thread. Most people on this forum know that Carmspack is a very knowledgeable breeder and she understands what she is talking about:

Longcoat vs stock coat

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Don't know what part of Canada you're in but if it is close to Vancouver you might know of K***W***s in the Seattle area for example - not my choice but an example. I look at waiting lists and there are more waiting on females than males - looking to make some money byb'ing? I don't know but ours are also spayed and there are breeders that have told me "the best are sold to working/show homes". Others sell to the elite wealthy which I have seen up to $10,000 for a top placing Seiger/Seigerin breeding. Again not what I want but those breeders know there is a sucker born every minute.
Ten grand for a trained young dog, or more but again a well bred working line pup is going to cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $2000. I have no clue what kennel you mentioned since the forum seems to think you were swearing. I would not buy from someone importing bred females. Yes people do it, yes some may want that, not for me. Those are brokers in my books, not breeders. They know nothing about the dogs themselves and are selling a name, sort of like buying an iPhone. A phone is a phone but folks will always pay more for the flavor of the week.
As for females, the simpler answer may be that there is a well thought of belief that they are better with kids. Or people like me who simply prefer them. I cannot foresee me ever getting a male, I just don't find they connect with me as well.

·
Super Moderator
6,973 Posts
females also tend to be “smarter”, (sometimes) cheaper, typically smaller...

·
Registered
2 Posts
One thing to consider in your search is what type of work your WL pup was bred for. Top lines in Schutzhund, agility, herding, etc. are going to be higher energy, higher drive, more independent thinking, etc. My pup is from a WL bred specifically for service dog work. He has the typical GSD work ethic and standoffish-ness with strangers but is very focused, has moderate drive levels, and doesn’t need hours of daily high intensity exercise to keep him relaxed. He’s always ready for a romp or a walk but isn’t obsessive about anything.

Temperament is largely learned from the dam, so be sure to meet her to assess her drive/energy levels and find out what she was like as a pup.

My pup was male pick of his litter and was $1500; from Czech imported lines with sire and dam tested for everything you can think of; from a temperament tested litter; raised in-home; underwent Early Neurological Stimulation; and is probably the easiest pup I’ve ever lived with in a lifetime of pet ownership and as a professional trainer.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I've read most this thread. What it really comes down to, is taking your time, talking to breeders and finding one that YOU feel comfortable with. As a couple others have already said, find a breeder who know's and lives with their dogs. Don't just fall for a fancy site and marketing gimmicks. There are some great GSD breeders out there who are still under $2000. Yes the market has skyrocketed the last few years and it boggles my mind. So go talk to breeders, meet dogs and don't get caught up in lines. When you find the right breeder you'll know. TAKE YOUR TIME! This is a 12+ year investment. No need to rush it.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts