German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts
LuvourGSDs, you say you don't want to(I think the phrase "can not" is an excuse, there is always an alternative) pay the going price for a working line.
What I would do (and did) was just slow down and save more $ to be able to afford a pup from a good kennel.
If you say you can only afford 5 or 6 hundred, then are you are supporting a breeder that does NOT do all the health testing, titles to make sure they are breeding breedworthy progeny.
IMO, if you don't want(not can't) to support a good breeder, then go with a reputable rescue instead of supporting the breeder that breeds with shortcuts.

I told her what she needs to do is (for the next year or so) say 'All I want for Xmas/Birthday/Valentines Day/Halloween... is CASH!' That way she can continue to research while she saves!

Discussion starter · #23 ·
LuvourGSDs, you say you don't want to(I think the phrase "can not" is an excuse, there is always an alternative) pay the going price for a working line.
What I would do (and did) was just slow down and save more $ to be able to afford a pup from a good kennel.
If you say you can only afford 5 or 6 hundred, then are you are supporting a breeder that does NOT do all the health testing, titles to make sure they are breeding breedworthy progeny.
IMO, if you don't want(not can't) to support a good breeder, then go with a reputable rescue instead of supporting the breeder that breeds with shortcuts.
Thanks................... :)

I am not saying I'm not willing to pay say $800 area from a good breeder with good dogs, which I know is out there, I just mean, the 1,200 & up prices, I just can not go that even if I did save. That's alot on a dog. I know (could/might/would) be a great dog, but even before I knew alot this about breeders (good/bad, we all have been there) I still feel I have 2 great GSDs that I got as pups. :) Hey, even our rescue is a great dog. :wub: Just saying, it helps to know the breeder/lines/health & all, you just got to pick one that's affordable to what you are willing to pay for a dog. ;)

I understand the amount of time/money/titles/etc breeders put into their dogs & they deserve to recoop some of their money, but makes it hard somewhat for people that would love a good dog to do a sport with & not use to breed. I respect good breeders................ :)

I am no means gonna get a pup tomorrow, just thought I would ask some of ya about breeders with nice working lines & not be 100% pushed in the top 3 more costly breeders. Thought some might point me to other good breeders with not real expensive dogs. ;)

If wanting a solid bk & were close to crookedcreek, I am sold 100% on their dogs, love them bk pups ! :wub: Price is fair IMO also..........

Sure don't mind rescuing, just hard to find pups + they fix them too early & hate that. :(

Yes, MRL............................. Play to lotto, lotto, lotto LOL Which I never ever do ! :wild:

The more costly breeders would be the ones like Kreative and Kraftwerk. $1200-$1800 is absolutely normal and reasonable for a working line dog from a reputable breeder, definitely not what I'd consider a "top" price, especially compared to the rest of the breed where show lines are going for $2500 on the low end. It's not like we're trying to beat a dead horse but probably no one here can even recommend a breeder under $1000. Generally a "good dog for sport" goes for a fair price.

In the grand scheme of things in a dog's life, paying $500-600 more for a working pup is really not that outrageous ... this is just my opinion. I agree with Lies, $1200 - $1800 is normal for WL GSD.

I wonder how much those agility BC pups go for? I know you can get a good working line malinois pup for about $800 to $1000.

You have not been recommended expensive dogs at all. All those breeders are a very "fair" price and quite average.

If your budget is $800 under any circumstances I would 110% percent say to take your time, find a great rescue, and donate a few hundred $$ or put the extra money you save into some great training and maybe a few shows with your new dog.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
OK, knew this would turn into a biggie price & judgement wise. :( Sorry I asked. I feel $800-$1,000 you can get a good WL dog. ;) Just seems the ones pointed out are $1,200-$1,500 & up. Sorry, just saying don't see myself paying that & know & feel there are others out there in my price range. Just thought I would ask. :( I have one in mind....... :)

~Thanks~

You might be able to get a WL dog from that price but probably not from someone who is truly training and working the dogs. Your price range is totally up to you, I won't tell you that you should save more. I'm just saying that I've yet to come across a reputable WL breeder that actually produces dogs FOR sport and work for $800 or less. There's a difference between just breeding working lines, and breeding working dogs.

OK, knew this would turn into a biggie price & judgement wise. :( Sorry I asked. I feel $800-$1,000 you can get a good WL dog. ;) Just seems the ones pointed out are $1,200-$1,500 & up. Sorry, just saying don't see myself paying that & know & feel there are others out there in my price range. Just thought I would ask. :( I have one in mind....... :)

~Thanks~
It's not judgement - I don't think anyone here can think of a breeder they would recommend who sells their dog at the prices you are looking at.
I know there are working line breeders who sell at that price range, but in my book, they are just gloryfied BYB's, buying titled dogs and breeding them, them, but not really knowing the strengths and weaknesses of the dog since they do not have the background experience of having worked and titled dogs, nor are they gaining the experience of working and titling the dogs they have.

I thought paying an adoption fee of 350$ for Keeta was a lot - but when I started looking to get a dog from a breeder, I waited and saved up.

Discussion starter · #30 ·
In the grand scheme of things in a dog's life, paying $500-600 more for a working pup is really not that outrageous ... this is just my opinion. I agree with Lies, $1200 - $1800 is normal for WL GSD.

I wonder how much those agility BC pups go for? I know you can get a good working line malinois pup for about $800 to $1000.
I'm not out to get a dog just to be a top agility (MACH) pro or something. Not going to get a breed of dog just to Q & win all the time. Mals aren't even on my list nor any other dog. :) I just like the looks of the dark sable WL dogs & thought *someday* a pup would be cool to raise up into agility + I have learned alot about dogs & training dogs in general in the last 3 yrs. ;) I have 2 German WL & 1 show. All can & do agility. :) I enjoy the sport & it's for F*U*N, I'm not a super competitve person.

You know, some of the people I have met in this sport & their dogs are pretty kick butt are rescued dogs. :D We don't lable them as bad b/c they were adopted for $55. I know we shouldn't fuel nor buy from byb's & I respect that. But I truly feel just b/c you paid under $1,200 your dog isn't grand. :( Hate it when dogs are labled as byb dogs for that reason. Little diff when it's $100. :rolleyes: Some people try hard, care, love, title, etc their dogs & ask less. Heck some are labled bad b/c they don't have a website. :( I know a very well known breeder that's been breeding for over 30 yrs now, that don't have a site nor ask them prices.

I will not keep fueling the fire here, not that type of person. :) Will continue my search & if it happens, it happens. Not in a hurry, loving my crew now.

~Thanks~

If I'm paying *any* amount of money, it's *only* going to be to a person who's breeding practices I believe are ethical and reputable and whose dogs I truly believe are correct examples of the breed, not because they have a dog that might work for what I want and looks like I want and is affordable. No one is saying the dogs are any more or less worthy of love and care. It's all a matter of what you are comfortable with supporting. When I buy a dog I don't feel I'm just getting the dog I wanted and that's that. I want to support the breed as a whole, and I can't do that by buying from someone who I don't believe is contributing to maintaining the breed in it's correct form and function. Others may not feel the same commitment, and that's just fine, but you cannot assume that breed fanciers are trying to put down BYB dogs and rescue dogs. Honestly, it's a bit offensive that this thread is implying those that *do* spend the time to research and save are somehow putting down other people's dogs or the fabulous work that rescues do every day. I feel the exact same way I do about rescues as I do about breeders, I hold them to the *same* standards (besides breed form and function). There are more rescues near me that I WONT adopt a dog from than those I will (and the ones I will I already have adopted multiple animals from, more animals than I've purchased from reputable breeders). I believe most of the posters in this thread have rescued a great deal of animals or are still currently involved in rescue.

Jen, if you have experience, knowledge of the pedigrees, and know what you want in a dog, you can get a good working line dog for any price, even for free. You can find a good dog in a farmer's barn, or a pet owners oops litter, or BYB, or commercial kennel, or owner's surrender, or shelter, anywhere. But you do need to know what you are looking for, and be able to weed trough unstable dogs. If you have this ability and trust yourself then who is the breeder does not really matter, an Amish BYB or a best of the best, just keep looking in your price range. If you do not feel comfortable with making a decision on a pup completely on your own and accept the concequences then go for a good breeder and pay the price for someone else's knowledge and experience. Working lines are all about balance of drives, and if at least one drive is skewed then you will have to invest many times of your puppy's purchase price into managing your dog.

Good luck!

PS Just reread your first posting.
Would like one that has a on/off switch, can lay down & relax & not be busy 24/7. Loves people & has a friendly disposition. Has good toy drive & just a good all around solid nerved GSD.
You actually ask a lot :) This package comes with a pup from a very good breeding, and everything on your list is a genetic trait.

I don't have anything against rescues. Out of my three dogs, two are rescues and one of them is training in agility. I am just saying when you look around at the breeders that get multiple mentions in this thread and other threads about WL puppies, you will find the price range to be remarkably consistent.

Btw, I agree with everything Lies wrote in her last post.

OK, I'm really confused as to the direction this thread has taken? As far as I can see, people are not judging at all, just telling you what the market standard is...and encouraging you to go the rescue route if you are on a budget well below the averge.?? You will likely have a much greater chance of finding a stable young adult in rescue than scrimping by and staying within a very low budget. When you are searching well below the "average" its going to be much, much harder to come across something reputable. Impossible? Probably not.

I haven't seen a single person imply that a rescue dog is not on par for what you are looking for compared to a the standard "low cost" breeder.

Another option is a co-own. Though you have to have a good relationship with the breeder and make sure you can and will hold up your end of the contract.

If you like CC's dogs, why not go with one? I personally like her dogs, tho she is doing schutzhund with them, it sure sounds like they can and are doing other things. She isn't much higher than what you want to spend.

Also, I would not discount a rescue, my rescue girl was a phenomonal agility dog, with a variety of titles on her, she ranked #4 in the us akc agility rankings in 99/00.
She didn't initially cost me a dime, tho she ended up costing me probably thousands later in life w/medical issues:( I wouldn't have traded it for the world

I know there are great breeders out there not charging over $1,000 for a good WL pup. I have titled my own (started training her when I got her at 9wks). I have OFA hips/elbows, CERF (twice now), Cardiac check. It is not extremely expensive for me to have all this done. I only have the one dog. Researched her bloodlines and breeder before purchase. I purchased her for $900 4 1/2 yrs ago. I think her breeder is now charging $1,000 for pups. Inflation maybe? But that is not outrageous. She titles, health checks, has guarantee and contract. I am still only charging $1,000 for this next litter too. We are out there, just have to look for us. (Kinda hard to find me, I dont have a website). When looking for studs for this next breeding, I was shocked at how many breeders dont title or do health checks on their studs. You should have at the very least one or the other. Health checks speak for themselves, and titles speak for the temperament of the dog.Anyway I think I drifted way off topic, sorry.

I would contact Kim at : www.Justk9s.com
We have a total of 3 all DDR bloodline puppies from her (between myself & a friend).
They are not "high drive" dogs, actually they are the opposite.
They have very nice "balanced drives"...with an off switch.
My female has a little more "prey" drive than her brother (who has more of a civil side)....but all 3 are sound in body & soul.
*My SL young dogs seem to have more "drivey behaviour" at times, than the WL pups.*
JMO
Robin

Our WL pups from Kim are doing excellent in training.
They have so much confidence & are EXTREMELY eager to please...it makes training a very rewarding experience.
I love having a balanced dog, that can & WILL do whatever I ask of them (and more)...while remaining calm & confident. Their ability to switch "drives" as needed or warranted is quite appealing.
OMG?!..I'm with Cliff on this thread.....
Robin

Robin, LOL, almost lost my coffee....keep it up and you will lose the respect of some for that comment...haha!
BTW, I agree that Justk9 is breeding some nice dogs that meets OP original description.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.