German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just kicking it around & would like to ad our pk someday. :)

When getting into GSDs about 7 yrs ago I had no idea of all the different
lines, colors, etc ! Just thought a GSD was a GSD. :eek: Still learning the diff between the working lines. Have down the German show vs American.

Anyway, just would love to bring a pup up into my world of agility. I love agility
& started my crew at older ages. Just thinking a pup to raise in it would be cool,
fun, etc. :)

Would like to keep some recommended nice working line breeders in mind with not over the top costly prices. I have seen many online & I do know of some here with awesome dogs, but don't have them kind of funds. :( I not out to breed, just want a performance/companion pet. Would be great to visit breeder in person, view kennel, etc so, would love it to be a OH, MI, KY, etc breeder. Not into the shipping part.

Temps are a big +, but the looks I love are the dark sables. Love the solid bk also, but we have a rescue that is that so, dark or black sable would be my next choice. :wub: I have seen a few cool bi-colors I love also. LOVE the tar heals & penciling on the toes. Looking for good drives, but not crazy NUT hyper drive that I fear DDR lines might have. :confused:

Would like one that has a on/off switch, can lay down & relax & not be busy 24/7. Loves people & has a friendly disposition. Has good toy drive & just a good all around solid nerved GSD.

I do also keep my eye peeled on the urgent board for a pup in need. I have no prob with rescuing. Just would be nice to know though if the pup would have the drive to do what I want to do. :rolleyes: I'm in no big hurry, just kicking it around.

I have asked around about males vs females when it comes to competing & up in the air there ? Have 1 female & 2 males now, all fixed. Love them all, but female is a bit pushy/dominate. Not sure how another female in the mix would be ? Just hear too much about bitch fights. :( My pk lives together 24/7 & would love it to remain that way.

I have been told, it's not the sex, it's the dog, temp wise & such. I have heard females focus & please better, not sure there. :confused: Since wanting for this sport, not into a huge GSD, just a nice standard sz.

Thanks for any info anyone wishes to pass along. ;)

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
If you are really wanting a workingline dog and are aware of their significantly much greater need for exercise than you have ever exerienced, then go for it. When you are contacting the breeders, be very clear about what you want in a dog, what you want to do with the dog, and be realistic about the amount of time you have to devote to the new dog's exercise and training. You can add your color preference at the end of that so long as you let them know it's the last thing on your list and is a preference only given two equally good puppies.

I'm not into two bitch homes due to the potential for serious bitch fights down the road.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
What's your definition of "over the top prices?" $1200-$1800 seems to be the going rate for a well-bred working-line pup, at least where I live.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Elaine.............

Thanks for the fast reply. ;)

Well our female now is go, go, go so, have a taste for that, but she isn't crazy nut hyper vocal drive. Just know the males seem to be more laid back & settle down faster. :rolleyes:

Yes, do fear that with females, but then I hear others say, no issues. :confused: But then I think 3 males.................. :eek: This is my first GSD pk. Love the breed & will have no other. I run a tight ship here, but you can't stop every tiff.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Even a low drive workingline dog has more energy than a regular dog. You need to think long and hard about whether now is the time to get one. Also, I had four dogs for a lot of years and that's a lot of dogs especially if you get a puppy that needs so much of your time. I didn't - and still don't - have a life outside of dogs and work, no time or money to do anything else. I always had a male only household and I always had to be on top of them to keep peace and order in the herd. It can be done, but only for the very dedicated person.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Elaine,

Didn't say was getting a pup next wk. LOL ;)
Just thought I would ask about working line
breeders w/o me picking on my own. Thought
someone might direct me so I can keep them in mind.

I know the time & dedication to having many dogs. :)
Three is good, four would be my limit.
Seems I am always going to classes or shows. :D I am having
fun doing so & enjoy it.
I am a stay home mom helping hubby out with his shop
so, dogs are with me alot.

I know all working lines can't be crazy & can't be any
worse than my busy female or rescue that is great until
something that excites him happens. :eek: My most laid back
is by far our West German showline boy. Do love that, but
also seeking a nice working focused agility dog. ;)

All GSDs need a job, just working lines a bit more. ;)

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts

·
The Italian One
8,729 Posts

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Vinnie,

Thanks so much for your reply. I know of 2 out of the 3 kennels you gave me. Do love their dogs, sure great dogs & great breeders, but funds can't go that high. :( Wish they could, but being that I have a college student, can't budge that high. :cry:

·
The Italian One
8,729 Posts
Their prices are pretty average/standard prices. You might have a hard time finding lower prices for a good WL puppy. Have you thought of looking at rescues or a dog that is a bit older?

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Vinnie,

I know price does put a limit on it to a degree :(, but sure there's others out there that ask a bit less for good dogs. ;) Might not be titled dogs (I know is a plus), which is no big issue, just as long as health & temp is good. :)

I spend lots of time on the urgent board so, yep, keep my eyes open. I have rescued & if I did again, would want a pup. Older is a bit harder. Still dealing with slight issues with our boy. Love him to pieces & wouldn't trade him for nothing. If I can get issues worked out, hope to show him someday. In that case, just might be my cool agility dog. :D

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
I must say that I have been completely and totally impressed with my new pup, Nyxie, from Christine at Blackthorn Kennels in Virginia. Yeah a little far to drive - about 9 hours from Cincinnati but this pup has been even better than I ever imagined. Her temperament is solid and she has drive but not over the top and beyond my control. She is fun to train and a goofy pup too. She has not been nippy with the kids either - it's like she came knowing not to mouth people (thanks Christine!). Her toys she shows no mercy to though! She is very friendly and good natured. Maybe you can keep her dogs in mind for the future and the drive to her place is quite beautiful!

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
DDR dogs with over the top "nut" drives. Never seen one yet. DDR dogs have about the same level drives as West Showlines...some west SL have more prey drive than DDR. And I own and have owned DDR dogs for past 12 years.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DDR dogs with over the top "nut" drives. Never seen one yet. DDR dogs have about the same level drives as West Showlines...some west SL have more prey drive than DDR. And I own and have owned DDR dogs for past 12 years.
Ok, thanks for the info. ;)

Is it the Czech, West German with the more drive then ? How's the combo with DDR added or say a Czech DDR dog ?

For some reason, had in my head DRR had the most drive. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I have been to this site many times & do love the looks of the dogs, nice, dark, & beautiful ! :wub: Just can not go that in price. :(

Oh. :(

I wish you the best in your puppy search!:) I would suggest Randy Tyson, but they are in California.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i'm loving this thread. i too want a working line. I have a breeder in mind i REALLY want to go to when i have the chance but i'm also looking at other breeders so all these suggestions are helping me out too!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts