German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Doing some research and would like to know if anyone knows of a breeder in Nebraska. I don’t really care if they are DDR/Czech/or WG. Looking for good stable temperament and health.

I am Army Vet who served in Iraq. I do have PTSD and some anxiety issues. I have done helper decoy work and really enjoyed it. I really like the West German WL, but the ones I have worked with were extremely high drive and a little more than what I would want to deal with as my own personal pet. I would like to get back into doing IPO. But would like something that can be chill in the house and be my buddy, but work when it’s time to. I have been around some really nice German SL but they are a bit out of my price range. My parents had a SL but he didn’t have very good nerves, and could turn aggressive, and had lots of health issues and ended up dying from some internal problem. The vet had no clue why he died. I am just doing research now. I am in Nebraska. But would travel for the right pup. I would like a breeder that’s responsible, wants to preserve the breed and breeds for health and temperament.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
As I posted in your other thread, Marsha has really nice WL dogs!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It will be awhile before I can get a pup. I am in the process of relocating for my job. Close on my new house Friday. Then have to have a fence put in.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Never used them myself, however there seems to a fair bit of praise on these forums regarding Weberhaus in Kansas. Might be worth researching them further.

·
Super Moderator
6,984 Posts
@wolfspirit30 I combined your threads since you’re essentially seeking the same information, this being the more appropriate section and this thread having more replies ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like Weberhaus has a nice diversity of sizes and drive levels. Anyone have any experience with them?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven’t been around the Czech and DDR lines. Most of my experience has been with the West German. I do realize that each dog is unique and has their own personalities, no matter the line. But they may carry similar characteristics.

·
Super Moderator
6,984 Posts
Looks like Weberhaus has a nice diversity of sizes and drive levels. Anyone have any experience with them?
If you use the Search Community bar at the top of your screen - Weberhaus or Malinda Weber should pull up plenty for you to browse through while you await replies here.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
A dog can have high drive and still be calm in the house after puppy hood. I would say this is more true with GSD's than Mals. Drive and hyperactivity are not the same. Some working lines do have hectic drive but that is usually because they lack balance and are more prey driven than intended for the breed.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Could help a bit in describing the type differences. I have heard Czech can be sharper than WGWL..though I don't have experience with owning a full blooded Czech GSD. Both of mine are mixed (one 75% DDR + WGWL/Czech; the other mostly WGWL + DDR/Belgium)
When reaching out to a breeder, I would recommend emphasizing that you are looking for a dog that can be calm in the house as well as do the sport.
If you were willing to ship, it would open up a lot more recommendations.

·
Super Moderator
6,984 Posts
I would ship or travel for the right pup.
i would too, if there was the need or if there was a puppy born or brewing NOW and i wanted that particular puppy NOW.
in your case, with pretty basic needs and such a nice option right in your backyard... i wouldn’t look at traveling/shipping just yet. it opens up a world of options... but sometimes that can be too many, and overwhelming.
i’m a couple years out (i think / hope) for my next dog, but Malinda is on my short list to look at more closely when the time comes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeap. She has some nice ones. I have another dog right now. A working line Neapolitan Mastiff. He is 5. Still full of a crazy amount of energy. It is absolutely crazy on how fast and athletic he is. He moves like a 60 lb dog. I would wait another year or so until he comes down a bit to get a pup. He likes other dogs, just a bit dominant.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Doing some research and would like to know if anyone knows of a breeder in Nebraska. I don’t really care if they are DDR/Czech/or WG. Looking for good stable temperament and health.

I am Army Vet who served in Iraq. I do have PTSD and some anxiety issues. I have done helper decoy work and really enjoyed it. I really like the West German WL, but the ones I have worked with were extremely high drive and a little more than what I would want to deal with as my own personal pet. I would like to get back into doing IPO. But would like something that can be chill in the house and be my buddy, but work when it’s time to. I have been around some really nice German SL but they are a bit out of my price range. My parents had a SL but he didn’t have very good nerves, and could turn aggressive, and had lots of health issues and ended up dying from some internal problem. The vet had no clue why he died. I am just doing research now. I am in Nebraska. But would travel for the right pup. I would like a breeder that’s responsible, wants to preserve the breed and breeds for health and temperament.
I highly recommend Ser Gut German Shepherds. Andrea is in McCook Nebraska and I doubt you could find better dogs at a better price. Lovely temperament and drive but also have a good off button and are perfect in the house. Please check her out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts