German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone on here has taken these online courses at this website, Paws of Life Foundation if you look to the right there is a box with a link to Working K-9 Handler Academy online courses.

I am training with my puppy once a week right now but these seem like interesting courses! Any feed back would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Usually I pay as much attention to online dog training courses as to online swimming courses, but these ones sound like nice modules to improve knowledge of related important areas and prices are reasonable. Interesting.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes! The first course is the Intro course and I got an email today that I have to contact the California Rescue Dog Association, as there is a whole process as far as training goes. It sounds interesting and for $40 and through Iowa State University even more so!

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I don't know anything about their online training and looks like basic stuff so far (imagine it would have to be since you really need hands on for actual work with the dog) but they have amassed a very nice library of links and articles on their site......
So does CARDA endorse the courses? You will have to give us a critique.

Will have to bookmark this one though.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Please be aware that if you are looking at these courses for informational purposes only, they will be fine. However, if you are with a SAR team, or considering joining a legitimate one, and looking at these courses for the required prerequisites, they likely will not count.
Spend a month training with a good SAR team and you will have ISAR covered. The crime scene preservation, in order to be valid, has to be given by a POST instructor, and has a field practical component.
Blood-borne pathogens you can usually pick up for free (or close) at a rescue squad or FD. Also many places require the classroom component.
Search strategy - pick up a copy of Syrotuck's book, and get with a good SAR team.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts