German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would someone care to explain this?
I think that it was hunterisgreat, who mentioned that he does his own helper work, but only works his dogs "in prey"

Would that mean, the dog shows no real aggression, handler not provoking the dog and not pissing them off into that state, but more like a big game of fetch/tug with whatever it is they are biting?

At this PSA club, the motto is all about having fun with the dogs, big games of tug (sleeves, tugs, suits), obedience, and bite rewards, lots of petting; rather than actually bringing out the defensive side, until they are certain the dog can handle it. Which makes me think this is working the dogs in prey.

That is all I could think about, now I would like to ask for an experienced opinion.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Would someone care to explain this?
I think that it was hunterisgreat, who mentioned that he does his own helper work, but only works his dogs "in prey"

Would that mean, the dog shows no real aggression, handler not provoking the dog and not pissing them off into that state, but more like a big game of fetch/tug with whatever it is they are biting?

At this PSA club, the motto is all about having fun with the dogs, big games of tug (sleeves, tugs, suits), obedience, and bite rewards, lots of petting; rather than actually bringing out the defensive side, until they are certain the dog can handle it. Which makes me think this is working the dogs in prey.

That is all I could think about, now I would like to ask for an experienced opinion.
Yes. Which is why I asked how that worked, because I wasn't thinking about working a dog in prey. (I think defense first with his dogs) I'd be disappointed about your PSA club. This I have come to believe about 'stress'.. which was taught to me by a LONG time trainer. If you take a dog who was genetically programmed to work in defense, and you train it in prey, that causes stress. Or "pressure". It's only when you take a dog who's wired to work in prey and bring in defense that there's a chance of 'pressure' with defense. A little further explanation. Grim's showing civil aggression now. So if the helper wanted to 'play a game' in prey drive... Grim would be confused. "Why am I supposed to 'play' with you? I don't know you. I don't trust you. In fact, I'm suspicious of you!" Take him out and let him naturally go into defense, though, and he looks like he was born there! :D Later, balancing drives comes into play. Dogs are NOT cookie cutters, though. Treating them like they are is what's going to cause pressure on the dog.
Hunter obviously knows his dogs, and his bitch can go into defense with him without destroying the trust or bond... which is what I was thinking about that. His male he can't do that with, so he keeps him in prey drive. He did say that he works his bitch in defense, though, because he can push all the right buttons to get her into the highest state. This doesn't mean that the handler can't pet, etc. their dog. Grim has been seriously 'in the zone' and I'm able to touch him, pet him, etc. I would not recommend the helper do this, though. ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts