German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! First time GSD owner here. This past Friday I adopted a 10 month old shepherd, Charlie. He's been great so far. Everything I wanted. However, I'm single and I work full time. It takes me about 45 minutes to get from home to work and back so I'm not sure coming home during lunch would be an option.

He seems to be housebroken despite having been an outdoor dog. He hasn't had one accident and has only gone to potty when I take him outdoors. He hasn't chewed on anything other than his toys. I'm willing to take him on walks and get him some exercise for as long as I need to before I go to work, as soon as I get back, and then again before bedtime. I'm also wanting to eventually start obedience/agility classes after he's really settled in so we'll have something extra to do. I also noticed when he is left alone for some time he'll just sleep. I haven't had any issues with him waking me up at night. He sleeps until I get up. He's very easygoing. I was worried the transition from his former home to mine would be rough, especially since he's a little older but he's made himself right at home. My parents live in the same city and don't mind coming down midday to let him out, but I know they won't be able to do it every day. I'm thinking about asking if I can take half days on Mondays and Fridays for awhile. I work in a pretty busy clinic so I know any more than that wouldn't be an option. I'm not too worried though considering how easy he is.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
As long as you are spending quality time exercising him, it should not be an issue. Walking on leash is not adequate exercise for this breed (most working breeds for that matter).
I've always started with a crate until I can trust the dog fully to not make a mess or get into trouble. But to each their own on that.
Best of luck to you

·
Registered
16,186 Posts
When I get a puppy (when I was working), I would come home at lunch for the first week or two. Other than that, I came home when there were health issues to deal with. A 10 mo old should do fine without a mid day break. But as Cloud suggested, a crate is a good idea. (look up crate games).

·
Registered
202 Posts
working

Your fine the way you are. At 10 months he can if he hasto go without bathroom breaks for 12 hours. I work 8 and have no one but me and my dog but with my type of job(where I wear the blue uniform) can have me here12-16 hours-not often though and my dog is fine. If he couldn’t hold it and goesto the bathroom in his cage/utility room don’t treat as a big deal because itWILL HAPPEN so will chewing on something he isn’t allowed to or throwing up, welcome to the dog's life. You could hire a dog walker if you want to but you seemto have everything under control now.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
He sounds like he is tolerating it just fine. As long as you are committed to before and after work quality time/exercise it should not be an issue. It has only been a week though, and sometimes dogs don't show what they are really made of until after a few weeks in a new home (look up adoption and shut down period). So if you really do not want to crate him when you are gone, at least contain him in a safe zone with things that wouldn't hurt him if he ingests it, and wont make you freak if it gets destroyed lol. It may take two weeks, he may think hey I guess I am staying and this stuff is MINE. No, I don't think that is how thought goes through their heads, but it is absolutely a known phenomenon. Like people meeting new people and places...they hit a point where they are comfortable and feel like they can relax. Or eat the couch.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don’t know how he does with other dogs, but I have Pepper in doggie daycare 3 days a week. It’s only 20 bucks a day (when you buy day packages) and she has fun all day with her dog friends. I carefully shopped around before I picked a place. The one I picked is cage free, and run out of the owners home. She gets to run around in a huge backyard (no astroturf) and nap on comfy couches when she’s tired. They feed her lunch (with a mandatory rest afterwards to prevent bloat) and wash her off if she gets muddy. The owner is also a professional dog trainer with years of experience, and carefully evaluated every dog for good temperament before letting them start.

The best part? When we pick her up, she’s usually good and tired, and we’ll behaved for the rest of the night.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I agree that he should be fine in a crate while you work. Rover.com is a resource I've used sometimes when I need a mid-day walker and I recommend it, but he's old enough to not need breaks during the day. If you can feed him 1st thing 2 hrs before you leave, and he can get a decent walk and some play, and chew toy in the crate, no problem. Just give him quality time when you get home ( a long walk and play, and training and lots more quality time on the weekend and it's all good.

The more exercise he gets, the better he'll be able to deal with long periods alone in a crate.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hes 10mo old, almost a year, he should be fine in the crate all day while you're gone. Enjoy him before work and when you get home and on the weekends. They adapt to our schedules. I dont think you or anyone else needs to come home mid-day, hes old enough now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I work from 7-5 Monday through Friday. I haven't gotten the puppy yet and am in the information stage of my research.

Currently due to the pandemic I am working from home which inspired me to get the dog I've always wanted. While I dont know what the future holds as far as work from home goes. I will be living within a 5 minute walk of my office building. I am completely devoted to giving plenty of exercise before work and after work. I can also walk home in the middle of the day on my lunch break to let him out as well. Along with doing day care a few days a week and or a dog walker.
Realistically at what age would I not need to come back for lunch?
My concern is I do everything I can to get him/her the best and it wont be enough in the end.

Also any tips for socializing them as a puppy with other dogs?

Any help or tips are Greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
9,218 Posts
I work from 7-5 Monday through Friday. I haven't gotten the puppy yet and am in the information stage of my research.

Currently due to the pandemic I am working from home which inspired me to get the dog I've always wanted. While I dont know what the future holds as far as work from home goes. I will be living within a 5 minute walk of my office building. I am completely devoted to giving plenty of exercise before work and after work. I can also walk home in the middle of the day on my lunch break to let him out as well. Along with doing day care a few days a week and or a dog walker.
Realistically at what age would I not need to come back for lunch?
My concern is I do everything I can to get him/her the best and it wont be enough in the end.

Also any tips for socializing them as a puppy with other dogs?

Any help or tips are Greatly appreciated.
hi scott, welcome to the forum.
you are responding to a thread that’s several years old and the OP has not returned in nearly 2yrs. to get the best responses for your situation and to ensure your questions are seen... it’d be best to copy and paste your post to your own thread.

Reactions: Scottp6188
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.