German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an absolutely beautiful 6-month-old female who we love to bits. However, our circumstances have now changed and I'm having to leave her all morning till lunchtime (when I come back to feed her) and then all afternoon until 5:10. Does anyone else do this? We are with her all weekend. At dog training, I'm made to feel like I'm mentally abusing my dog for doing this, and it's really getting to me - we really don't want to rehome her. Does anyone else leave their dogs for this long and is there any reassurance you can offer us? Please, no judgement, we already feel awful about it.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
I work full time. I always have. Don't let it bother you. Spend time when you get home.

Dogs sleep when you are away anyway.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Life happens. Most people who own dogs work full time! You're getting her out midday, so as long as she's getting some exercise before and after she should be okay with your schedule. I'd be inclined to tell the folks picking on you for working to mind their own business - or perhaps something a little more blunt, but you get the idea LOL!

·
Registered
32,013 Posts
I work full-time, second shift, mandatory over-time, too far to drive home and back at lunch, and three days out of five, I have a 3 hour therapy session so my day is from 8:30AM when I leave, until 1:00AM which is the earliest I can get home. Then I sleep at least part of that time.

My six month old girl is the light of my life. She is not crated, she is kenneled, and I have other dogs, so she is not all alone, but they are long days. Your girl will be fine.

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
We have an absolutely beautiful 6-month-old female who we love to bits. However, our circumstances have now changed and I'm having to leave her all morning till lunchtime (when I come back to feed her) and then all afternoon until 5:10. Does anyone else do this? We are with her all weekend. At dog training, I'm made to feel like I'm mentally abusing my dog for doing this, and it's really getting to me - we really don't want to rehome her. Does anyone else leave their dogs for this long and is there any reassurance you can offer us? Please, no judgement, we already feel awful about it.
I used to leave for work at 1pm and on a good day I was home at midnight. Most days I arranged to have Shadow let out of her crate for an hour around supper time, on the days that could not be arranged I shortened my day as best I could but she was still crated for 8+hours. It is what it is, most of us are not independently wealthy.
Tell people to mind their own business unless they would like to pay your bills so you can stay home and play with your dog.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Your situation doesn't sound so bad, you still get to see your dog in the afternoon right? Even then, people work full time and manage to still have dogs. Just spend as much time as you can with your dog, and try and keep him occupied while he's in the crate for hours by puzzle toys or stuffed kong.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I used to leave for work at 1pm and on a good day I was home at midnight. Most days I arranged to have Shadow let out of her crate for an hour around supper time, on the days that could not be arranged I shortened my day as best I could but she was still crated for 8+hours. It is what it is, most of us are not independently wealthy.
Tell people to mind their own business unless they would like to pay your bills so you can stay home and play with your dog.
How can you give puppy lunch if you cant back home? I dont want to hire stranger come to my home to help, is there any other way to take pup out for bathroom and feed? thanks

·
Registered
875 Posts
OP I think you're "judging" your own self way to harshly....if the "pool" of dog owners so to speak was limited to folks who did not work.....dog owners would be few and far between...further in today's world folks have to work to keep up with the cost of pet foods,toys,training equipment and most costly---Vet care....I'm retired now but for years my wife and I both worked....when a dog had a medical issue like recovering from CCL surgery etc..... my wife or I made it work by coming home at lunch or whatever was needed.....I imagine that unless your dog is very anxious or lacks confidence she'll be fine when seperated...the fact that you'll be on a regular routine as far as work....translates into a routine/schedule for your dog as far as feeding,training and playing....they love routines-they really thrive on them...over time she'll likely "learn" the distinct sound of your vehicle and IMO there's no better way to throw aside a crappy work day then to be greeted by one of these guys who's simply ecstatic...that you did something as simple as walked through the door.

The fact that you started this post shows the type of person you are...you're caring with a good heart......you and your girl are both very lucky....so give yourself a break...she'll be fine

·
Registered
127 Posts
I leave for work at 6:50 am and usually don't get home until 6:15pm sometimes later if we have a training after work. Xena has adjusted and she knows the sound of my Jeep. She's adjusted to this schedule just fine. I play with her before I leave for work and I play with her when I get home and we train in the evenings. It's hard but its doable and she's fine. Don't beat yourself up over this; it sounds like you're doing a great job with your puppy.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
These people dissing you at dog training class must be Dog As Child Substitute types :)

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
How can you give puppy lunch if you cant back home? I dont want to hire stranger come to my home to help, is there any other way to take pup out for bathroom and feed? thanks

Depends on how old your dog is. Over the years I have either taken young pups to work with me or arranged for other people to be with them during the day. Once they have passed 6-8 months they are generally ok, I used to leave them in an outdoor run while I was at work but dogs get poisoned or stolen a lot where I live so that doesn't work for me anymore.

When Sabs was a pup hubby and I arranged our schedules so one of us was always home, when Shadow was a pup I took her with me for the most part or employed puppy sitters since she had to be fed every couple of hours.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Depends on how old your dog is. Over the years I have either taken young pups to work with me or arranged for other people to be with them during the day. Once they have passed 6-8 months they are generally ok, I used to leave them in an outdoor run while I was at work but dogs get poisoned or stolen a lot where I live so that doesn't work for me anymore.

When Sabs was a pup hubby and I arranged our schedules so one of us was always home, when Shadow was a pup I took her with me for the most part or employed puppy sitters since she had to be fed every couple of hours.
Thank you for the information!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Now that summer is over I'm in the same boat and feel so bad!! Mei is in the kennel for roughly 3.5 hours. I come home at like 1100 during my lunch/workout time. I take her out and exercise/play with her for about half hour then back in the kennel while I go back. She will then be in there for like 45minutes until my wife gets home at 1245sh, then she's out for remainder of the day.

This first past week, Mei seemed to be just fine. I'm still beating myself up about it lol. I've ordered a 5'x10' dog run kennel that I will set up inside in the basement. I think she'll rather be in there than the 48" kennel.

Good luck and you're not the only one!

·
Registered
513 Posts
My dogs are my babies, however I don't mistake them for actual children (they're DOGS after all)

I work 7am - 3pm. I try to not leave my girl crated for longer than 9 hours. It sucks, but I work full time (and right now my husband is away on Military orders) and it has to be done. If I can't get home within the 9 hour time frame, I ask a friend to let her out to potty or take a lunch and make up the time later. I'm hoping some day I will be in a position where I can take my dog to work (apparently that happens often here in Maryland lol) or I can work from home.

Don't worry. Everyone has a different situation. Those people need to mind their own business and worry about THEIR dogs.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Don't be so hard on yourself. You need to do whatever works for you and your dog. Most people work fulltime, out of the home. At 6 months, most pups can be fed twice a day. I work 10+ hours a day. I leave at 530am, and I'm often not home until close to 4pm. I don't get breaks. They adjust very well to our schedules if we make sure to spend time when we are home. Sitka has been on my schedule since he was about 7/8 weeks old. We created a routine, and he fell in line. Do I feel guilty? Oh yeah, I think about him all day, I love the beast. But if I don't work, he doesn't have a loving home, and food in his bowl. I think he'd think it's a fair trade. ?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
All these great comments making me feel a little more assured. Mei knows we come home, so that is good and we put in the time with her when we're all home. Hope the OP feels a little better from these comments!

·
Registered
16,020 Posts
When I was working and had a new pup, I would have a week or so off and maybe be lucky enough to arrange to dash home at noon and then back to the office. But that would be for about a month total. Somehow all three survived these circumstances just fine.

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
All these great comments making me feel a little more assured. Mei knows we come home, so that is good and we put in the time with her when we're all home. Hope the OP feels a little better from these comments!
I hope so to.
The reality is that we sometimes are made to feel guilty about things that are just life. If everyone waited until they were wealthy and not working to get a dog then no one would have a dog. I don't sweat things like the fact that I have to work, it's just life and lets be realistic. At 5 years old I was getting myself breakfast and getting ready for school on my own because my parents were long gone by 6am. I had a key to the house and I came home and amused myself until they got home. I'm still here, nothing tragic happened. My mother was home when I severed my finger so clearly it made no difference. Why do we worry more about dogs then children? People need to understand that dogs will sleep much of the day if we let them.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts