German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work from home 4 days out of the week. I head into the office one day a week and drop my GSD off at doggie daycare on those days.

Since we've had Sam I've always taken him out for a morning walk, play fetch with him at noon, and then another play session with him around 5pm. He's always slept in between but now at almost 9 months he appears to be getting restless.

He's sleeping less in between our "sessions". He's making me feel anxious when he comes and lies down in my office while panting loudly. I usually make him wait for our scheduled play sessions so that I can devote the appropriate time to my work but it does add pressure when I'm on a call while he stares at me panting and waiting to go out.

Just wondering how the day goes for others who work at home and have their GSD to look after? :confused:

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I work from home too and sometimes take Stosh to the office with me when I only go in for a little while. He's 8 mos and still on a pretty regular schedule but I know what you mean, now that it's cooler he wants to go out and play a lot more. When he gets restless and stares holes through me I give him something to chew, if that doesn't do it I'll spend a few minutes with some clicker training, like teaching some kind of trick. Stosh is very laid back for a pup so he's pretty agreeable with having to hang out and wait for me

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Fine. She sleeps by me most of the day. Occasionally she decides jumping on my is a good idea but not often.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
I don't work from home, but I do get busy at home and sometimes Wolfie, 9 months old, gets restless for his play time. Does your dog chase shadows? I found that If I am paying bills, etc and he is wanting to do something, I put on the light and just make shadows with my foot or something and he happily chases them while I am working. LOL

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I work from home full time (it's a great commute!). My guys gather around and lay right next to my chair (in my office). With 3 of them, sometimes it's hard to find space to put my foot down to get up and I'm like guys, really, can you give me just a wee bit of space?? Please!

We take a few breaks in the day and go out back for a while (when it's not 110 degress that is)

·
Registered
636 Posts
I'm home most of the time; and I switch off between the two dogs because it gets too hectic and stressful in the house otherwise.
Minna gets a 30-minute walk in the morning, 15-20 minute training session, and play time with Sobacca and she still doesn't want to take naps. She would prefer to be moving all day long, which is okay -- on the days I can devote all day to hanging out with her. She is very restless, and she's only 5 months old. Apparently the exercise she gets is never enough for her.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I work from home all the time. My 6-month old GSD needs a lot of attention.
I start the day with a 40 minute walk. He'll usually sleep for a few hours after that, then I go on a 30-40 min walk around noon and another 40+ minute walk around 5pm.

I'm wondering if mental stimulation like training would be just as tiring for him as a walk?

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I telecommute (since 2006) and love it. Since I have to be within 15 minutes of the phone between 8-5 most days (unless I arrange backup) I worked it out with my boss to work 7 to 5 and I take 2 hours worth of breaks during the day for dog interaction-Part of that time is walking 6 miles (broken up with obedience) in 1 mile increments with a dog in tow in addition to other things.[I am never actually 10 minutes from my desk that way] with cell phones everything is forwarded so I can tell if I need to get back to my desk.

In some regards it is socially isolating but in others, a lot of my neighbors stay at home so we often meet and talk during walks.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
My husband telecommutes 2-4 days a week (usually about 2). Our dog is generally very quiet and well behaved for him. He's laid a very clear expectation that he expects her to be calm and quiet (he participates in and leads his fair share of conference calls), and she overall adheres to that. We hypothesize that she's been pretty well conditioned via crating to be calm and mellow during the day and perk up around 4 or 5 PM.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I work from home. He really likes to beg for attention and try to get pets when I'm on a WebEx and my camera is on. My whole team has "met" Jericho thanks to his unwelcome participation. I like being able to take him out in the middle of the day and play, or a quick walk in between calls. There are days where he doesn't get out enough, and he definitely lets me know.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I work from home 5 days a week. The weekends are for dogs, training, and laundry. LOL! I let both mine out and feed them in the morning, then brush and walk the older one, do some training with the younger one and try to brush her. They are pretty peaceful until around lunch time and then they go out again while I eat. They come in and sleep most of the afternoon, with the puppy having more energy than Raina does so the pup gets chew toys too. By late afternoon they know quitting time is coming so they start to get restless but when I push in my keyboard drawer and turn of my desk light the excitement really starts. Raina almost howls her happiness and Abby just bounces everywhere. I let them out, separate them to feed them, then they come back in for awhile to rest and let dinner settle. Then by 6 they are back out again and we work for a couple hours either one on one or with both of them together. Two evenings a week I teach private lessons and one evening I teach puppy class, then Saturday morning I teach class as well. During interim times I pet sit as well. It all keeps me pretty busy but I wouldn't have it any other way. I like working for myself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts