German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find a place to post this. I was just wondering...

Where do I go to find information on working dogs: who to contact for info, how to start, what training to do, etc.
Is there an association or something?

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
It depends on what sort of work you are interested in; search and rescue, police, personal/estate protection, herding, narcotics detection, bomb detection, bed bug detection, service/guide work, or any of the sports like tracking, obedience, agility, schutzhund, etc....

All of these are trained differently, have different organizations that govern them, different trainers and thus different contact people.

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
It all depends. What type of work are you looking at having him do? There's all kinds of things. IPO/SchH, Protection, SAR, therapy, etc. How old is your pup and are you planning on being the handler? Or is this training to give him to an organization?

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rocco is 5 months now. I have been thinking that he might be good for SAR because he will fetch for hours (even over eating, which he loves to do), and finds the ball everytime in the dark (sniffing).
I know they have to be evaluated. That's why I was asking. Is there a place I can contact to see about evaluating him to find out what he might be good for?
I also think he could be good for therapy work.
I have no intentions of giving him to anyone; but would like to have him do something. I believe he would really benefit from it. He is soooooo energetic and always wants to be doing something.

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
SAR work was it for Titan.. he LOVED it. He can do both, SAR and therapy. A couple of our cerified SAR dogs are therapy dogs as well. I would start looking for teams in your area. Make sure they are certifying organizations. I can actually as our team lead if he knows of any in your area, I'm sure he would be willing to help in that aspect, I can PM you some information if you want. You are in a really good location for a lot of sports too. Kind of jealous, I wanted to get my Athena into IPO/SchH and there are a lot of clubs in your area.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SAR work was it for Titan.. he LOVED it. He can do both, SAR and therapy. A couple of our cerified SAR dogs are therapy dogs as well. I would start looking for teams in your area. Make sure they are certifying organizations. I can actually as our team lead if he knows of any in your area, I'm sure he would be willing to help in that aspect, I can PM you some information if you want. You are in a really good location for a lot of sports too. Kind of jealous, I wanted to get my Athena into IPO/SchH and there are a lot of clubs in your area.
Yes. PM me. How do I find teams? And what clubs do you know of in my area?
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
The big thing about SAR is it is a way of life if you are on a team. Huge committment and must be able to take time off of work when needed for a callout which always comes at a most inconvenient time.

The dog is just a small part of the picture. Actually there is a FEMA Disaster team down there - Miami Dade. I am not sure what local wilderness teams there may be. A consideration is the very real risks of gators and snakes down there. {To you and the dog}

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
How about agility? It's a blast for you and your dog and it's hugely popular. It would definitely keep your dog busy.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
The big thing about SAR is it is a way of life if you are on a team. Huge committment and must be able to take time off of work when needed for a callout which always comes at a most inconvenient time.

The dog is just a small part of the picture. Actually there is a FEMA Disaster team down there - Miami Dade. I am not sure what local wilderness teams there may be. A consideration is the very real risks of gators and snakes down there. {To you and the dog}
And the handler needs to have a sense of direction :)

I thought of it when I got Dante - his drive to find his ball was huge from the day I brought him home. His tail wags a mile a minute when he's searching for it.
But alas, I can't find my way out of a parking lot :rofl: and thought that the call outs might cause a problem with my job.

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
And the handler needs to have a sense of direction :)

I thought of it when I got Dante - his drive to find his ball was huge from the day I brought him home. His tail wags a mile a minute when he's searching for it.
But alas, I can't find my way out of a parking lot :rofl: and thought that the call outs might cause a problem with my job.
Oh man, that cracks me up.. only because this is the current issue with me at training. I am VERY directionally challenged. lol. Good news is once I learn navigation.. I am generally pretty good to go so long as I use it regularly.. but I haven't had to do that in a while, ha! Looks like more training for me than Titan. Haha.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Oh man, that cracks me up.. only because this is the current issue with me at training. I am VERY directionally challenged. lol. Good news is once I learn navigation.. I am generally pretty good to go so long as I use it regularly.. but I haven't had to do that in a while, ha! Looks like more training for me than Titan. Haha.
Do I need to give you a class on land nav? Hahaha

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Um yes please Jeremy :D I need so much help.. I'm really glad my job in the military doesn't require me to map land.. only computers..

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Thanks. That bit of info is important. I'll have to look into taking time off work for callouts; but the snakes and gators is a bigger issue for me. I don't want to put my baby in danger. I want him to help others. I'll have to consider that too, I guess.

Oh, and BTW, I do have a really good sense of direction, so that'll be a plus. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Here is the way I look at it. If you want an activity for your energetic dog to do, consider a sport such as agility. If you want to volunteer your resources (time, money, skills) to help others in your community, consider SAR.

SAR dog handlers spend a lot of time without their dog training for other aspects of SAR and helping others on their team. That is time one could be spending doing something fun with their dog instead.

If you join a SAR team, your dog will need to be evaluated. Before getting to that point though, you should consider what you would do if your dog is not deemed to be suitable. Would you choose another activity for your dog instead? Would you continue to volunteer without a dog? Would you get another dog more suited to the work? Answering that question to yourself may help you decide if you really want to get involved in SAR.

Rocco is 5 months now. I have been thinking that he might be good for SAR because he will fetch for hours (even over eating, which he loves to do), and finds the ball everytime in the dark (sniffing).
I know they have to be evaluated. That's why I was asking. Is there a place I can contact to see about evaluating him to find out what he might be good for?
I also think he could be good for therapy work.
I have no intentions of giving him to anyone; but would like to have him do something. I believe he would really benefit from it. He is soooooo energetic and always wants to be doing something.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts