German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

So June 30th I have to leave to go back to my home province for work as I need to attend a bunch of meetings... I will be busy and away at the office for up to 12 hours and one day I know will have a few meetings then I have to go out into the field to do annual runs with the technicians to get their views on things and what they are going through ect anyway that day will probably be away for up to 14 - 16 hours.

Now here is my problem, I was going to board Penny with my trainer (she owns a boarding Kennel) for the week as I trust my trainer and Penny would get to play with all the other dogs that go there for doggy day care during the day. But found out my family that lives in Ontario are going on a two week vacation going camping at the camp ground we went to every summer when I was a kid and I really dont want to miss out on the experience as I was invited along so I decided I would take my 2 weeks right after as they will be leaving to go camping on the 9th. I really do not want to leave Penny in boarding for 3 weeks as I wont be coming back till the 20th of July! I dont even know if I can go that long without her as I am working from home right now I see her all day everyday and take her with me everywhere I go.

So I spoke to my trainer and she said that she could board her for a week and then drive her to the airport and send her to Ontario when I go on my vacation and I would just pick her up at the airport in Toronto, which I really dont feel comfortable with as Ive heard too many horror stories and I think Penny would be really stressed out she would only be 8 months.

So here are my options, leave her here for 3 weeks in boarding. Leave her here for a week in boarding and have her flown in, or, bring her with me and not be able to give her a lot of attention and leave her at my grandmothers place who said I could keep her there while Im at the office but she would only be allowed in the backyard (its fully fenced with 6ft high and another 2ft of lattice ontop and its a fairly large backyard) or in the back room of the basement (the laundry room) as my granddad is allergic to dogs. And then be able to take her camping.

Im so torn dont know what to do, any suggestions as to what would be best for all involved?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,021 Posts
I like the idea of her being able to go camping, but I don't like that she would have to stay outside if brought with...Sorry I'm not much of a help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,895 Posts
I would probably take her to grandmas for the week, as long as the fence is secure and she is protected. I have to travel for work a lot, and sometimes they are long days. I always take the dogs along. Sometimes its weeks, sometimes months. I do try to break away at lunch and run back to my hotel and let the dogs out.

Then again, last spring when I was sent out of state on a rush high priority project, with only one day's notice, I left them at their day care boarding for two weeks before I could come back and get them. Then we all had to make the 2-day drive back to the project and I hadn't found a place to stay with all three so I used that time to put the two younger ones in a residency training program about an hour from my project for three weeks. They survived it, and I visited, but I don't think it helped my Jack at all. Mine are rescues, though, so already had issues your pup probably doesn't have :).

At any rate, those three weeks are history now and whichever decision you make will be too :)


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,796 Posts
...
So I spoke to my trainer and she said that she could board her for a week and then drive her to the airport and send her to Ontario when I go on my vacation and I would just pick her up at the airport in Toronto, which I really dont feel comfortable with as Ive heard too many horror stories and I think Penny would be really stressed out she would only be 8 months.

So here are my options, leave her here for 3 weeks in boarding. Leave her here for a week in boarding and have her flown in, or, bring her with me and not be able to give her a lot of attention and leave her at my grandmothers place who said I could keep her there while Im at the office but she would only be allowed in the backyard (its fully fenced with 6ft high and another 2ft of lattice ontop and its a fairly large backyard) or in the back room of the basement (the laundry room) as my granddad is allergic to dogs. And then be able to take her camping.

Im so torn dont know what to do, any suggestions as to what would be best for all involved?
Unfortunately I can't help you decide, but I do have some questions for you to consider:

1. FLYING OPTION ... this will take place in mid-summer ... I'm not sure what the temperature runs in the areas you're talking about BUT in the US most airlines won't fly dogs when it's hot ... it's something you should check into before making plans.

2. GRANDMA'S HOUSE ... since your dog would NOT be allowed in the house only the backyard, what back-up plan will you have if it rains or if there's a heatwave or something unexpected like that where you wouldn't want the dog out all day in bad weather ... would you really want her locked up an a laundry room for hours on end?

GOOD LUCK!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately I can't help you decide, but I do have some questions for you to consider:

1. FLYING OPTION ... this will take place in mid-summer ... I'm not sure what the temperature runs in the areas you're talking about BUT in the US most airlines won't fly dogs when it's hot ... it's something you should check into before making plans.

2. GRANDMA'S HOUSE ... since your dog would NOT be allowed in the house only the backyard, what back-up plan will you have if it rains or if there's a heatwave or something unexpected like that where you wouldn't want the dog out all day in bad weather ... would you really want her locked up an a laundry room for hours on end?

GOOD LUCK!!!
For Flying if the flight is first thing in the morning or very late at night, they will not fly during the day, or if there is a heatwave that will keep even the very early morning and very late night temps up.

The laundry room is roughly 1/2 of the basement its a fairly large home mainly used for storage (everything is kept very neat and organized and CLEAN!) But no I dont really like that thought and she could go under the deck or lay in the shade of the trees there. But at least its an option, not the best of options :(

But I think I found what I will be doing, I think Im going to bring her with me and book with the vet I used for Diesel as they have a very good boarding program there and I really like how they treat the dogs, and would feel more at easy, she would be able to go outside in a dog run and go into a heated/air conditioned kennel. This seems like the best and safest option. I will contact the vets tomorrow to see if they have any openings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,906 Posts
Take her with you. Bring her crate along. It's June. If the yard is fully fenced she should be fine even if it does rain. Put her crate (travel crate) in the yard, for shelter, try to find a shady spot or make one, and try to spend as much time as possible outside with her.

I don't like the idea of her running loose in a fenced yard in a strange place when you are not around for hours on end. It would be better for you to crate her in the laundry room in the basement while you are not at the home base with her. If she digs herself out of the yard looking for you, that can end in disaster.

bring you gear camping, travel crate, portable shade -- tent-type canopy, lawn chair, cooler, and spend more time with your pup. Not sure what the requirments there are, but a tie-out might be helpful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,451 Posts
I would take her along from the beginning and board her somewhere where you will be working, if you have to. Then take her camping.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,796 Posts
...
But I think I found what I will be doing, I think Im going to bring her with me and book with the vet I used for Diesel as they have a very good boarding program there and I really like how they treat the dogs, and would feel more at easy, she would be able to go outside in a dog run and go into a heated/air conditioned kennel. This seems like the best and safest option. I will contact the vets tomorrow to see if they have any openings.
That sounds like an excellent solution to your problem!!! Hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip even though a portion of it will be spent working!!! :)
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top