German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it fair to say that if people refer to their dog as ' she is my baby' you can almost guarantee there is or will be a problem in the dynamics between owner and dog? This is solely based on my observations. I cringe when I hear the b-word (not talking about the female dog :D).

·
Registered
31,379 Posts
"baby" doesn't bother me. No, I don't think there is a connection between the word and any problems with the owner. I use it with my dogs, probably not as much as "my girl" and "my boy". Along with monster, monkey, and a variety of obscenities based on the incident.

"Furbaby"...makes me want to stab the person in the eye with a fork.

·
Super Moderator
32,252 Posts
"baby" doesn't bother me. No, I don't think there is a connection between the word and any problems with the owner. I use it with my dogs, probably not as much as "my girl" and "my boy". Along with monster, monkey, and a variety of obscenities based on the incidence.

:rofl: All of the above. I call Halo baby girl and Keefer baby boy, among other things. Doesn't mean that I actually treat them like babies, it's just a term of endearment. And Halo is still the pupster, although at 7+ years old she is clearly not a puppy!

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I provide care for my dogs - that means treats, food, toys, beds, etc. I consider those basic needs. Does it mean they don't get extra's like bandanas which I find cute? Sure they do, it doesn't hurt them and I like the way they look. I bought a dog stroller for a geriatric foster because he loved being outside but couldn't handle long walks.

So in the end, don't look at just one term and look at the overall picture instead. If the dog is healthy and happy then I don't care what you call it. I cringe when I see dogs that are obese to the point they can't walk, misbehave to the point they're menaces. But I cringe just as much when I see dogs abused

Just my two cents

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
And Halo is still the pupster, although at 7+ years old she is clearly not a puppy!
One of Delgado's nicknames is puppy and will always be :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
6,301 Posts
Wolfy and gala,don't you have some silly nicknames for your dogs?Samson is Baby when he's cuddly and Goofus most other times:)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Is it fair to say that if people refer to their dog as ' she is my baby' you can almost guarantee there is or will be a problem in the dynamics between owner and dog? This is solely based on my observations. I cringe when I hear the b-word (not talking about the female dog :D).
I think where the problem starts is when the owner not only refers to their dog as their baby, but doesn't see their dog as they are. How could someone's "baby" be aggressive and dangerous?

I call my boys my babies all the time but I clearly know that my 85lb dogs can do serious damage under the right circumstances. This might make me seem paranoid to other people, but I am vigilant. I do get mad at my daughter when she stands with the front door open because one of my boys will door dash (working on it). One of my boys has been reactive in the past and was "diagnosed" fear aggressive when he was about 8 months old. I have specific management for him, and I don't care what anyone thinks about it.

The people who think their "babies" are harmless are the ones who do little training and usually have large problems on their hands. I hate to generalize but it's a pet peeve of mine.
http://www.germanshepherds.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
I called Daisy Baby Boo, Lucky has been baby boy for forever and Charlie gets baby when were snuggling. On the other hand I also have used a variety of less positive names when things weren't snuggly. I don't think the name in and of itself is indicative of the dynamic . People who say my dog wouldn't do that I wonder about the dynamic but I have my hands full with mine so it doesn't matter to me. Thunder and Chevy got called baby as well. I buy toys treats and Daisy had bandannas out the whazoo and don't even try to count Lucky's collection of balls and bandannas. so my answer reflects how I view my situation.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
You can call them anything you want when your not communicating specific instructions. Anything under the sun.... the dog doesn't care, the owner doesn't care. I can call a Tasmanian Devil "sweetie pie"

If you are talking about an owner goo-goo, baby talk oozing with actions that show an unhealthy and obviously untrained and spoiled brat dog - then there's a problem as it's indicating much more than just a few affectionate names.

I don't necessarily want to stick a fork in their eye for ruining their dog. It makes them happy and they do usually provide excellent care for their little dogs. Personally the extreme kinda gags me - but anything short of that... if the person's happy and the dog is happy, healthy and not a menace...whathehey - to each their own...:)

·
Registered
326 Posts
It's too late to edit my post, so I just want to explain. It's not the silly nicknames we have that I have a problem with. What bothers me is when an owner isn't realistic when looking at their dog. Not seeing them as an animal with the ability to harm. Then is when a small behavioral problem grows into an unmanageable one.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I don't usually call Newlie "baby" but he does have about a million other nicknames, probably "buddy" is the one I use most. It doesn't bother me, though, just like it doesn't bother me if someone calls me "honey" or something like that. Guess I am just not easily offended..

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wolfy and gala,don't you have some silly nicknames for your dogs?Samson is Baby when he's cuddly and Goofus most other times:)
Actually no. To me they are my dogs, maybe boring towards most of you but to me it is respectful not to call them babies. I have had babies but they didn't look like dogs :D fortunately.
When my clients tell me, "But he is my baby!", I explain to them that he is not a baby since you didn't birth him; he is a domesticated predator who only speaks 'dog'.
I think it is different when you call him baby when you are talking to him but I cringe when people refer to their dog as a baby towards others (humans).

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
It's more than wording. I call my dogs my babies, but I don't treat them like humans.

If someone truly feels that they are not dogs, that's an issue. But just the wording, no it's not causative.

·
Registered
980 Posts
"baby" doesn't bother me. No, I don't think there is a connection between the word and any problems with the owner. I use it with my dogs, probably not as much as "my girl" and "my boy". Along with monster, monkey, and a variety of obscenities based on the incident.

+1, but it generally depends on the context. If I know the person knows what they're doing, I've no problem with them calling their dog whatever the heck they want. On the other hand, if someone is writing about all the issues they're having but is refusing to do anything practical about them because their dog is a "furbaby," then I just shake my head and move on.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
The terms of endearment bother me not at all. Furbaby is indeed terrible, though.

However, it does bother me when people say "my dog is a big mush" or "my dog would never hurt a fly". Ugh. To me that tells me that person has no clue.

And it's usually not true.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I used to call him my baby until he wasn't. Now I only call him baby when he is acting like one.:p

It took a few instances for me to realize just when he became an amazing and powerfully strong adult dog. I view him as such and it has helped keep me on track with proper handling and respecting that.

·
Registered
15,936 Posts
I don't like it when people say their dogs are their babies. It's not the same thing. Dogs are truly much less expensive. "college" for dogs is pretty darned cheap when compared to "college" for babies. Food for dogs is cheaper than food for babies. You can board a dog pretty easily - not so much with babies. Dogs don't get to be teenage drivers, I don't worry so much about my dogs doing drugs. Ahh yeah, my dogs are not babies! Downside is they will not support me in my old age and they didn't in my forrays away from the work force. Their income is less than mine.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts