German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
There's my baby! That's the face that won me right from the start! We were thinking of calling him Adalwolf, which I think means Noble Wolf, since we were told he would howl like a wolf, but we also really love the name Maverick! We are torn between them! Do most people keep the name the puppy already has?

PupperLove, thanks for the tips! i will look into getting a different brush for him! I'd like to make sure he gets used to being brushed, so that he enjoys it, so I'll try to find a good one.

And MaggieRoseLee, I do have a short video capable camera, and I already told my husband we have to empty its memory card as much as possible before we leave saturday, so that we can take as many videos and pictures as possible! I've warned my family that Sunday will be a very pic-heavy email day!

We've got quite the drive on Saturday to go get him, and I know I will be so antsy the whole way! Any suggestions on what to bring to pick him up? I know it will be hard for him to leave his happy foster home, so I'd like to make him comfortable. We have a 6 hour drive back home, so perhaps several toys and lots of potty breaks?

He's ADORABLE!!! What a face!!!! I bet you are on your way to go get him right now. I remember that feeling on our drive: It's finally happening!!!

I can't wait to hear all about him and your trip to get him :)

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Think Lorelei will be too tired to post when she gets home? I hope she gets super strong coffee so she can tell us all about the trip!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Think Lorelei will be too tired to post when she gets home? I hope she gets super strong coffee so she can tell us all about the trip!
She probably will be very tired! Sounds like alot of driving and then i'm sure baby puppy will be up crying all night too.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Yeah, she will probably be exhausted. Being in the car that long would give me a migraine!

Well, I hope it's not too awful for her. Hoping for no puppy barfs. Maybe he'll just sleep.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
What a perfect drive home!! I am sooooooo in love right now, it is absurd! AHH! I don't know where those little lovey-face icons are on here, but you could take that and multiple it by a billion!

The ride there was awful! We got up super early, didn't sleep well (too excited!!), and didn't have time to get cash before we left, because the bank wasn't in the same direction. We took back-roads the whole way because I am a complete moron sometimes, and didn't think about getting lost on the way! At one 'town', if you could even give it that name (very, very small), the sign for the next highway was completely covered by pine trees, so we passed it. Then every little gas station ATM we passed didn't work, and I thought I was gonna have a heart attack!!! I could see us driving all that way, getting there 2 hours late, with no money!

Thankfully, we pulled it off, found a bank when we got closer to civilization, and when I walked in that door, and went to the back of the store and asked which one was Maverick, my heart basically melted all over the place, and I haven't been able to put it back together yet!

I can not believe how sweet, and loving and playful he is! Ashley recommended buying bully sticks for the trip, and it was like a magic spell for him! He, of course, got through the dog barrier we have for the back of the jeep before we even got out of the parking lot, so we gave him his toys, and he was so cute, I had to control myself to keep from swerving all over the road as I looked at him. We smartened up and took the thruway back, and I must say, I may have changed lanes unnecessarily a few times, just to have an excuse to look over my shoulder to 'check for cars' (and peek at the cutest dog in the world!)

Then, the very best thing happened, that will always be in my mind when I think of the day we picked him up. My husband fell asleep in the passenger seat, and our little guy came up to where we had set a pillow on the center console of the car between our seats, and layed down, put his back feet on my husband and put his nose between my back and the seat of the car, making a long puppy bridge between my husband and I, and I felt like I was glowing the entire rest of the trip! Oh geesh, I am such a mush! I feel all glowy just typing about it!

BTW, apparently I did a big bad thing by letting him sleep in bed with us last night, as I just read the thread about that, but he got up there with us, and surprisingly conked out, only had to get up to pee once and then conked out again! (Somebody had a looong day!)

Somebody better help me soon, because at this point, I'm pretty sure it is a good idea to quit school completely to stay home and be with our little Adalwolf-Maverick! Today has been hilarious, watching him learn all the little things about his new home! I love it! SOO in love... ah wait... here they are, in the 'advanced' posting section --->:wub: X a billion

·
Registered
214 Posts
Congrats on getting him home without wrecking from the distraction of puppy-cuteness! I expect adorable pics soon!

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Awwww, that is the best possible story! I am so glad it went smoothly for you. It sounds like true love at first sight. Wow, a nice car ride home, uneventful first night home. You really couldn't have asked for more than that.

Best wishes to your little family for a long and happy life together!
:congratulations:

There's a whole crowd of us hoping for pictures. Don't make us come visit you....

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
How adorable!!!! I love your story!! Sounds like a very eventful day for you!! Reading it makes me remember how I felt on the day I brought my Jackson-Ghengi home....it was like...FINALLY!!! A long awaited moment that finally came true- like a dream, right?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I am so happy that he is melting your heart. He has done that with us since day one of fostering him.
He is one awesome puppy, just like his litter mates.
Maverick absolutely loves to snuggle and was able to escape our gate by climbing over it in a matter of seconds, like it wasn't even there.
The family pictures we took of the 3 of you are great.
Can't wait to see more pictures and updates on my boy.
Lots of hugs and kisses to him of course.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts