German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got approved to adopt, and are hopefully picking up a very very cute guy on Saturday! We are so unbelievably excited, that I can't even describe it! I feel like I can't wait until Saturday.... And, no matter what kind of day I am having (today I was sick and had a Physics test and Genetics Lab! Yeesh), the thought of getting to see that puppy's sweet little face on Saturday just makes everything perfect!

Well, hopefully this is the right place for this, and I realize it is more of an "I'm so Excited!" thread, but I do have a few questions I thought I'd throw out there, which probably get asked too many times, so if this needs to be deleted, I apologize!

We have, a large crate with divider, and we are having shipped tomorrow a furminator, some Zukes, some toys, and a clicker. So, I was hoping that advice and suggestions on stuff in general could be gotten from all you experienced puppy-lovers!

Probably the first thing I need: Some control in my constant need to brag and brag about how cute he is to anybody that will stand still long enough for me to start talking!

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Congrats! And hey you can brag here all you want the only thing we require are pictures :D

How old is the pup your getting? That will help us on giving advise.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Congratulations! I can practically see your own invisible tail wagging constantly right now! lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats! And hey you can brag here all you want the only thing we require are pictures :D

How old is the pup your getting? That will help us on giving advise.
Ha! Thanks, but you may regret that permission to continuously brag! My whole family has learned to expect long detailed accounts of everything puppy-related whenever they contact me. Some of them are catching my excitement, and some of them are doing the ol' smile and nod!

He will be about 11.5 weeks. I would love to post a couple of his pictures up right now, but they were taken by his foster mama, so I should probably ask permission. I am seriously 'dorking out' over him. My last dog was an English Setter, and she lived to be about 15, so for the last 4 or so years of her life, she was understandably not very active, and I felt guilty hiking a lot and doing things with out her, so it limited my activity too, and now tht I have a massive bundle of energy coming my way, I am so thrilled!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congratulations! I can practically see your own invisible tail wagging constantly right now! lol
Exactly! That is a perfect description of how I feel! I never would have thought I could get so excited over such small things, like finding a great toy and ordering it.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Lorelei, I'm also very excited- for you!!

So, tell us, what does the puppy look like, have you seen him yet? I can't wait to see pictures!! And have you picked a name?

Sounds like you ordered some good supplies. Do you have a different type of brush? The furminator won't work well on puppy fur but it will be GREAT when he gets older. I used a slicker brush and it worked well for Jackson when he was really little (he's 4.5 months old). I have Zuke's for Jackson too and he loves them! Great for training :)

He also really enjoyed rope toys and squeakers when he was really little (8 weeks-3 months) He could really sink his teeth into them, he didn't care for hard toys as much. Just a few thoughts for you!

So how old is he? I should have asked that first. :) I can't wait to see pictures!!!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
That's my boy Maverick!!!
Ashley posted a pic for Lorelei above.
We are going to miss this little one, but know he will be in great hands.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
He will be about 11.5 weeks. I would love to post a couple of his pictures up right now, but they were taken by his foster mama, so I should probably ask permission. I am seriously 'dorking out' over him. My last dog was an English Setter, and she lived to be about 15, so for the last 4 or so years of her life, she was understandably not very active, and I felt guilty hiking a lot and doing things with out her, so it limited my activity too, and now tht I have a massive bundle of energy coming my way, I am so thrilled!
OH MY GOSH! He is SERIOUSLY just too cute! Can't wait to hear updates and see more photos. Make sure you take TONS of photos cause they grow so darn fast.

If you have almost any digital camera, you need to go look at it and see that it probably takes short movies also. These are PERFECT to add to youtube for us to look at and admire too!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Congrats! Hes a dollface! Cant wait to see more pics.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There's my baby! That's the face that won me right from the start! We were thinking of calling him Adalwolf, which I think means Noble Wolf, since we were told he would howl like a wolf, but we also really love the name Maverick! We are torn between them! Do most people keep the name the puppy already has?

PupperLove, thanks for the tips! i will look into getting a different brush for him! I'd like to make sure he gets used to being brushed, so that he enjoys it, so I'll try to find a good one.

And MaggieRoseLee, I do have a short video capable camera, and I already told my husband we have to empty its memory card as much as possible before we leave saturday, so that we can take as many videos and pictures as possible! I've warned my family that Sunday will be a very pic-heavy email day!

We've got quite the drive on Saturday to go get him, and I know I will be so antsy the whole way! Any suggestions on what to bring to pick him up? I know it will be hard for him to leave his happy foster home, so I'd like to make him comfortable. We have a 6 hour drive back home, so perhaps several toys and lots of potty breaks?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tomorrows the day! :)
WoOoOoooo!
Gettin up at 5, chugging some coffee, and on the road with my hubby, and stopping only to fill up the tank and pick up some drivin--food!

Of course, the way back may be a bit different.... "Pull over, he just threw up. Pull over he just pee'd on me! Pull over, and help me find the camera before he wakes up, because he looks so cute like that! Hmm... what do you mean its my turn to drive?"

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
:happyboogie::congratulations::toasting:

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh man, the fun begins! Can't wait to hear your stories.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
congratulations he is one cute puppy !!!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I vote for the name maverick! You can keep the name if you really like it, or change it. We changed Jacksons, he was originally named Zorro. I was stuck on the name Jackson for a male GSD for years so that's what it was!

If you like the name Adalwolf, by all means, name him that!! It's very unique I have never heard that name before which is really cool :) BUT say it really fast. It sounds like Adolf! And he's a german shepherd, you get my drift! Please don't be offended!!! I just want to point that out!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts