German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Max completely blows us off when he is loose in the yard. My previous GSD's (they were not X's) listened well.
Max mostly is very good, but when we give him a command like 'off' when he jumps up against the fence, for example, he ignores us.

We have worked with him on a long line, and he is superb. When out for walks, he is a dream, when he is out of our reach - he chooses not to listen.

Any training advice for him? Like I said, we've spent a lot of time working with him ... and often don't even leave him loose, but we'd like to be able to eventually.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I have a similar problem with Ava. She listens beautifully in the house, at the Vet, in PetsMart even in the fenced backyard but if she is loose in the front yard she doesn't mind at all. In my situation I need to do some more training with her.

Curious to see what advice is given as I could use some too!

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
You need to back up, do some close in work then instead of trying to graduate all at once to off lead do some work with a collar tab, light line and and a throw chain.

These are advanced techniques that are used to convince him in his mind that even though the leash is off and you are "over there", you can STILL "get him" if you want to.

Get the book, The Koehler Method of Dog Training, and go through the course with him start to finish. Don't try the advanced techniques till he has the on lead work perfect. Dogs think like gamblers, if you arrange it so that he NEVER wins, he won't think that he can, so he won't even try.

You can order the book from Amazon.com, Barnes&Noble or other used book sellers.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
whenever you do correct when on lead, make that "Ahck!" sound.
Eventually, that sound becomes a remote correction, too.

Or, there's always that dreaded e-collar option... but remote & right now.

Or if you are adverse to aversives, notch up the praise and marking with praise until he becomes the RinTinTin you keep telling him he is.
Takes longer, but no conflict. You can employ chains or a coined can to use sound to interrupt misbehavior to hasten the process.

Probably doesn't do recalls very well then either, eh?

·
Registered
16,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally Posted By: dOg

Probably doesn't do recalls very well then either, eh?
Recalls?! ... What recalls?! He's terrible. He knows very well what we want of him, he just doesn't care. Never had a dog like him before!

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
He may be part Doberman, eh?

My roommate had a beautiful Doberman and I was never sure enough of his recalls to let him off leash (the Doberman, not the roommate...).

I don't know if that is a possible breed characteristic, I just remember that dog could and would run like a deer. Beautiful but scary fast.

·
Registered
16,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Our Vets seem quite sure that he's 1/2 Dobie. I think he looks it, and from what I read he acts like it also!

Perhaps it is a breed trait. I know the Dobie's I've known in the past were not allowed to be off lead like the GSD's I've known.
Max is very bright, but he sort of has his own agenda. He's also very agile. He can jump over 5 ft. from a standstill. Yeah, he runs like the wind.

I'll still try those methods you folks have mentioned, though.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I have fought recalls with Ava, I have recently discovered the value of doing a 3 sharp whistles to get her attention and then running away from her, she now comes running when I whistle like that to play the game. I started doing it just to play with her and I realized later I had just taught her a perfect recall. I call her to play ball, I call her to play chase, I call her to eat....All the things she loves.... she only gets after the three whistle signal.....I wish would have tried this months ago. I recently called her off a cat chase with just a whistle.......I couldnt believe it. 90% of the time I call her to play, the other time is to work...some times I call her and release her immediately so she doesnt mind coming to me at all because regardless she gets to keep playing.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Oh goody!
Been waiting for someone to ask!

<span style="color: #3333FF">throw chains explained</span>

Dr. Dare Miller came up with these and training method in the decades ago. He's for real, though now in his 80's. I spoke with him for a couple hours last fall. I never ordered his instruments, but did find a copy of his original book published in the 60's.

This book, and the methods described is obviously where the usenet's maniacal troll, Jerry Howe, who calls himself the Puppy Wizard got his
"science" from, replacing the instruments with a can with coins inside.

It's unfortunate that Dr. Dare Miller did not get on the net until 2006,
before he was plagarized by a loon. Also unfortuneate that he charges so much for the chains and DVDs.

The website does do a good job of explaining what it is and how it works though. Basically you use sound to interrupt the dog's thought,
and re-issue a command to redirect it from doing any misbehavior, to doing some other desired behavior.

Howe's method also works, rewarding with only lavish praise, even when there is no compliance yet. Sort of a chicken or the egg thing,
where insisting on compliance before praising is immaterial and detrimental to success.
You keep telling the dog he is good dog, regardless, and eventually, he starts acting like the good dog you've been telling him he is.

Howe's original text which he published online in 2002 is considerably more lucid than the blather he spews these days, but it is also so much like Miller's original book, the source is obvious.

Even compulsive old schoolers know it's best to not correct for recalls, which only proves the point both Miller and Howe are trying to make, which is you can catch more flies with honey than crap.

As for that half dobe obstinance, been there, done that, still miss my big boy, 25 years later. <span style="color: #3333FF">His story</span>

Enjoy This Day!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts