German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my buddy Bandit back in July of this year. I got him from a family that found him wondering the streets and tried to find his original owners but had no luck and wasn't in a position to care for him properly. They said they believed he was a purebred German Shepherd but couldn't be certain because he was a stray. I think he looks like a purebred German Shepherd but I thought I would reach out and ask other German Shepherd owners and see what they thought. The only thing that makes me think he possibly could be a mix is the white stripe down his snout and the white on his chin. His tail also cures up over his body. I have read some German Shepherds tails can do that though. Thanks:)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
yes he's PB

·
Registered
32,009 Posts
Either purebred or high mix with a bit of husky. The stripe looks a little like a husky's mask.

It's called a 'gay' tail. My pound puppy has it too. I bet you could get a PAL number from the AKC for him. :)

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
He does look like a PB...but if you really want to know you can have him DNA tested. I believe the kits are around $60 or so.

·
Registered
32,009 Posts
My understanding is those DNA tests are a waste of money and don't give very accurate results.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Either purebred or high mix with a bit of husky. The stripe looks a little like a husky's mask.

It's called a 'gay' tail. My pound puppy has it too. I bet you could get a PAL number from the AKC for him. :)
That's what I was thinking too.

I've never seen a GSD *known to be PB* with a stripe on its nose. Has anyone else? :confused:

·
Registered
32,009 Posts
Do his eyes look light to you too? Not that it could mean anything. I was just wondering.

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
I would say he has a bit of husky too, between the nose stripe,the lighter eyes, and tail carriage. PB is purebred. He is gorgeous regardless! Welcome to the site:)

·
Registered
32,009 Posts
PB = Purebred...unless you're hungry then it's probably Peanut Butter.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Well, if he isn't PB, he sure could pass. Most people wouldn't know the difference. I would just tell them he was a German Shepherd.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I agree unless you are going to breed him he is gorgeous no matter what and I would go with saying GSD and most people would already think that anyway.

That first pic did have me a bit concerned, where did his ears go ?? :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL He likes to have them back for some odd reason when your trying to take his picture. I think he's purebred but like I said I have to wonder with the stripe. I have never seen a German Shepherd with a stripe up the snout like that. Plus he has a white chin and a curl like tail it doesn't hang straight like most German Shepherds tails do.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
LOL He likes to have them back for some odd reason when your trying to take his picture. I think he's purebred but like I said I have to wonder with the stripe. I have never seen a German Shepherd with a stripe up the snout like that. Plus he has a white chin and a curl like tail it doesn't hang straight like most German Shepherds tails do.
Check out this thread http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/pictures-pictures-pictures/143037-jackie-13-weeks-2.html

There are some GSD/Husky mixes that almost look like PB GSD's.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I'm just not really seeing the husky thing. If he is a "high" GSD mix, I think the GSD part is
TOO high to mention anything else. Whatever - he is a gorgeous dog.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I agree unless you are going to breed him he is gorgeous no matter what and I would go with saying GSD and most people would already think that anyway.

That first pic did have me a bit concerned, where did his ears go ?? :)
Since he's a rescue dog, I'm sure the owner is responsible and would never breed him ;)

Looks pure to me! I actually wonder if the stripe could be graying out and not actually a color pattern. You can't see the white that you mentioned on his chin, but I wondered if that was from greying out as well. And that can start at any age, my girl Tessa is just starting to get some gray hairs at 6 while my boy Logan had a good deal of gray by 3.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Boy he looks PB to me and he is very handsome. My Max who is a PB blk/tan has a faint tan nose stripe. You can only see it in certain light. If I can get him to stand still I will see if I can get a pic.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts