German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have just adopted a german shepherd puppy from our local shelter. They said she is probably between 3 & 4 months, she weighs 32 lbs and still has her baby teeth. I am hoping somebody here can speculate her age/whether or not she seems mixed - her coat seems a bit lighter than most german shepherds I have seen, no saddle just some banding on her back and neck (I don't know what color she is considered, or whether she'll get darker or lighter with age). I am also wondering what she is likely to weigh at maturity, but from what I've read it is difficult to guess without knowing how many weeks old she is now. I'd be grateful for the opinions of any experienced owners. Here's some pics, thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are the pictures:

Attachments

·
Registered
851 Posts
Congratulations on the new pup! She looks to be sable, will likely stay on the lighter side, but may darken on her back as she ages. Based on weight and that she still has baby teeth I'd agree 3 to perhaps 5 months... Adult weight is hard to say, they all grow at different rates. It would be easier to guess adult size if you knew the parents.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Cute girl. She looks like a fun little one. Color looks light sable, even if she were a washed out black and tan at her age you would likely see more pigment then that.
You can take a guess that at adult weight she will likely land somewhere between 50 and 80 lbs. And that's probably as close as anyone can guess at this point. While some pups are very compliant at following growth charts, most are not.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
She certainly looks like she could be a purebred or a high content mix. I agree, she looks like a sable to me and if I had to guess, she will be a light adult as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Looks like a sable to me too. The breeder I got my shepherd pup from said sables tend to darken on the back and face. That's been true for my little girl. she's silver sable

first picture is her at almost 9 weeks (the obviously younger photo) and other photo is her at 14 weeks. 14 week old picture is a little blurry and bad but you can see the color differences

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone! I'm glad to have joined the website, it's nice to be able to chat with other owners so easily, and ask questions. Katanya the texture of my puppy's coat more so resembles your beautiful puppy at 14 weeks, rather than when he was lighter at 9 weeks - I've read that sables go light before their mature coats start growing in? If that's true, and mine has the sable patterning then I think you guys are right and that she's likely to be quite light. Thanks for the responses!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts