German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im wondering if my puppies ear might be broken. One just started going up its half way the other looks bend where the cartilage should be tough to hold the ear not sure if its just teething shes 13 weeks only. But it looks pretty flopped over.wondering if this is normal

Attachments

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
completely normal. i wouldnt worry about it until he is 7 months, if it is still floppy.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
HI Trish & WELCOME! :greet:

I wouldn't worry about it at this age.

Here are a couple of things you can do to strengthen puppy’s ears.
1. Ear Exercise: Whistle or make a sound that will “perk up” the dogs ears. Do this about 30 times per day
2. Give them large raw bones: There are 150 muscles in the jaw that when exercised strengthen the ears due to the knowing, tugging and chewing the bone. Introduce at short intervals as the rich marrow material or bone fragments could cause diarrhea.

3. Feed raw skinless chicken necks as part of their meal. It has naturally occurring calcium.

4. Gently pinch the base of the ears together and massage the base without bending the upper ear.

5. Unflavored Gelatin powder: Moisten the kibble with water and sprinkle 1 packet on her food per feeding. A one ounce box contains 4 envelopes of Gelatin (each packet contains about 2 ½ tsp.). This is found by the “Jello” in the grocery store. It is made from animal collagen. The brand name is Knox Unflavored Gelatin. Great Lakes Unflavored Gelatin is more economical: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DVEXIB...b6-11e8-ab68-dbc697eb2a5a&smid=A2YD1L68H2K7UN

If you think it's damaged, have your vet check it out the next time you go.

I start taping at about 6 months if they are not up.

Have fun with your pup!
Moms :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts