German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has two German Shepherds, a female about 4 ½ years old, and a male about 2 ½ years old. They have no papers, but he believes they are at least mostly German Shephard. They are both great dogs, loyal, obedient, excellent watchdogs, friendly once they know a person, and very smart (well, actually the female seems to be smarter than the male …) They have had 2 litters of puppies, the first about 2 years ago, and the last about 3 1/2 months ago.

I have another friend that lives a few hours away, and he has always wanted a German Shepherd. His wife loves dogs, and she is incredibly good at caring for and training them. They have 3 kids who also love animals. They have had several purebred Vizlas, but never a German Shepherd before. Now, they have a female Vizla about 2 years old, a male Bichon Frise about 3 years old, 2 cats…. and ….

A new puppy! When the puppies were born, my friends asked for a female, and I was given the pick of the litter. Here is one of the puppies, at 3 days old, and the mom:

The dad has the same coloring as the mom, and he is quite a bit larger than her. Had a few pics of him but can’t seem to find them now….

Here is the puppy in my car on the way down to her new home, at about 8 weeks old …..

Here she is at 10 weeks. She is already sitting, giving her paw, waiting before picking up a treat, and rolling over (well almost), all on command.

At 12 weeks, healthy, happy, playful, getting along great with the Vizla, Bichon, and 2 cats …Here she is sleeping with her new best friend ....

And today, at 14 weeks ....

Now about that tail ….

What is going on with these rings?? Is she part raccoon? And that little white wisp at the end? Will it always be like that? Is it worth it to do an Embark? I’ve read some good reviews, and others that say it’s not so reliable?

Any tips/advice are most welcome!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Beautiful puppy! I think she’s still young and her tail might still fluff out more. My dog (9 months) has had a change in her coat almost monthly. She is not a purebred. We took her DNA at Thanksgiving time and knew the results 2 weeks later. We used Wisdom for the DNA test and are happy with the product and would buy it again. Our puppy is 50% GSD, 25% Doberman (didn’t see that one coming), and 25% mix.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks GSDmix! I will check out Wisdom ....my friends are very pleased with the puppy, and I'm sure the result would not matter to them, but I think it would be interesting to find out what the DNA test would say ...

·
Super Moderator
8,677 Posts
I’d spend my $100 on something more fun or useful. Looks purebred to me, nothing wrong with the pups tail.... the rings will fade and even if the white tip stays, it’ll barely be noticeable once her adult coat comes in and her tail fills out / flares.

Reactions: Ricardo Alan

·
Registered
56 Posts
One other thing- I personally would never spend $100 on a DNA test. We bought ours on Black Friday for $40. I do believe Embark is more expensive. Wisdom’s website usually has online coupons to use, too. Just an added bit of info if you are still interested in taking DNA.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’d spend my $100 on something more fun or useful. Looks purebred to me, nothing wrong with the pups tail.... the rings will fade and even if the white tip stays, it’ll barely be noticeable once her adult coat comes in and her tail fills out / flares.
Thanks Fodder! Much appreciated....it will be interesting to see what that tail looks like in a year or so!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's probably just her black fading. I wouldn't bother doing a test as she looks purebred to me.
Thanks Jax08. When I went to see the puppies at 3 days old, I was surprised that they were all completely black!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She may have a little Heeler in her to account for the slightly unusual tail.
Thanks MineAreWorkingline. I just read up a little on Heelers, I'd never heard of them, or known anyone here that had one......I think I would like them, they seem like quite good dogs from what I've read.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I think she’s purebred. The tail is just a puppy tail, as she matures her adult coat will come in and it’ll fluff out and change colors.

·
Super Moderator
8,677 Posts
Thanks Jax08. When I went to see the puppies at 3 days old, I was surprised that they were all completely black!
as is the case with nearly all standard gsd litters except sables and whites.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Thanks MineAreWorkingline. I just read up a little on Heelers, I'd never heard of them, or known anyone here that had one......I think I would like them, they seem like quite good dogs from what I've read.
Great little dogs! I have nothing bad to say about mine.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks for the reply BluNyxMom, is the pup the one in your avatar? What a great looking dog, and she tolerates a car seat too!
I just changed my avatar before reading this comment but yes, that is BluNyx. And that was a harness she was wearing, looking all regal. :giggle: And thanks for the compliment...I'll make sure and let her know. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just changed my avatar before reading this comment but yes, that is BluNyx. And that was a harness she was wearing, looking all regal. :giggle: And thanks for the compliment...I'll make sure and let her know. ;)
LOL...I thought that was a special doggie car seat you had her in there!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts