German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have a 10 1/2 year old shepherd. A few months ago she began to lick both sides of her back end. She created 2 sores that she won’t leave alone and they won’t heal. I tried the cone of shame but it gave her a panic attack. I tried to put a Tshirt on her like pants to cover the area but while at work she’s able to take that off. They’re located right on her sit bones so I am unable to wrap it or put a bandage on it. I try keeping it clean but I can’t watch her 24/7 and she licks at them while I’m gone. Any suggestions on how to get these healed? They’re getting pretty bad.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Hello! I have a 10 1/2 year old shepherd. A few months ago she began to lick both sides of her back end. She created 2 sores that she won’t leave alone and they won’t heal. I tried the cone of shame but it gave her a panic attack. I tried to put a Tshirt on her like pants to cover the area but while at work she’s able to take that off. They’re located right on her sit bones so I am unable to wrap it or put a bandage on it. I try keeping it clean but I can’t watch her 24/7 and she licks at them while I’m gone. Any suggestions on how to get these healed? They’re getting pretty bad.
Take her to the VET & maybe ask for pain meds.

·
Registered
10,229 Posts
As long as they hurt and itch, she will keep licking them.
Take her to the vet for a Convenia injection, and some prednisone to stop the itch and inflammation.
Convenia is an injectable antibiotic that stays in the system for over 2 weeks. It is great because it bypasses the gut so it won’t upset their digestive system, and is especially effective for skin. It is the only thing that worked for Hans.
It is, however, expensive.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
There has to be a reason why she is licking, anal gland issues or PF's? Time to see a vet and get it checked out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts