Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not supposed to be funny. But 12 hours later I'm still smiling. :smirk:
I took the dogs to an under-utilized park further east of home where there's a large area designated for dogs. I live in NYC, when I explain that this park is situated in a ghetto, I am not exaggerating. The last few times I went it was nearly empty but public school is out since Monday, and I hadn't factored that in when I decided to take the dogs to this quiet field.
Shortly after we arrive, about 10 kids between 8-10 yrs old approached me and asked if the dogs bite. I thought this was a good opportunity to educate these youth a little about dogs, including the useful information that if they are near unleashed dogs they should never run or scream because some dog breeds have a strong prey drive and they will chase. I explained that my dogs are friendly, but some dogs aren't exposed to kids and that running would put them in potential danger. They seemed interested & impressed. They threw Jiva a stick and petted her, one girl gave her a little football. It was all very nice, but when they left, they took off running. Jiva thought they were her pals at this point and took off after them. When they noticed her in pursuit they ALL started screaming in horror and running for their lives, a few on bikes dropped their bikes to take off on foot. They ran across the field, down the hill, into the basketball court. I was calling Jiva, oops- no good recall, of course. She focused attention on 1 boy as he exited the courts running in senseless patterns like a mad man. At this point, I was running too. Realizing Jiva wasn't going to stop, I was shouting to the kid - STOP RUNNING, to no avail. I finally caught the boy by the shoulders and stopped him. Jiva immediately stopped chasing. The kid was bawling his eyes out, really frightened. In fact 1/2 of these tough inner city ruffians were crying. I told them that when they ran, the dog thought they were playing. No use in explaining, they think they were nearly killed.
I do feel badly that they were so afraid. And I know it should be anything but funny. But... it was a most hilarious and amusing scene. :wild: I knew they were never in danger, and so the most serious part was that Jiva disregarded my command to come. That does bother me. But the whole scenerio was so funny. The one thing I tell them to never ever do and they all do it minutes later! And seeing these little baddies bawling was kind of cutely pathetic.
I don't think Jiva noticed that they were terrified. She was really very happy like she'd just made the most amazing friends. Coco had been unaffected by the whole ordeal, her attention never leaving a tree where she'd spotted a squirrel.
I believe I'm supposed to learn something here, but besides more recall work I just don't know what it is. :help: Maybe I should have leashed the dogs while talking with the kids? Or maybe I just should've said Yes they bite! when they first approached so they would've left us alone.
Am I a sicko to laugh about the sheer terror these kids showed while a 1 yr old puppy chased after them with a big smile on her face.
My canine education moment ruined. I thought I'd teach them a bit about doggy culture so they could know something and now they'll probably be afraid of dogs forever.
I bet they won't venture into the dog's field again.
I won't know for certain, because I think I'll be taking my dogs to a different park lest any angry parents come looking for me and my killer dog.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
wow, what a coward you are. you can laugh at the children
who ran from your untrained dog but you're afraid to face their
parents. now that's something to laugh at.
great story.

I won't know for certain, because I think I'll be taking my dogs to a different park lest any angry parents come looking for me and my killer dog.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha. Yep. Tomorrow could be the kids turn to laugh while I run from mad Dads.
The untrained dog bit is the piece that bugs me. I really thought she was better than she actually is.
Glad you liked the story. I'm sure it would've been even funnier if you'd seen it.

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
I guess you had to be there????

I don't think that I would have found it funny that first, my dog ignored me on a recall, and second, she made a bunch of kids cry because she scared them. I know my Jax wouldn't hurt a child intentionally but they don't know that so I try not to traumatize any child that is scared of her. There was little boy in a pet store that, as we walked in, yelled "It's a police dog" . He wouldn't come anywhere near her. It was really sad to think he was so scared of her.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Need to work on the recall before being off leash..be a couple more kids growing up with a big bad mean German Shepherd story under their belts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep. I slacked off training because I thought even in distractions she was reliable. Proven wrong. Running around with a gang of "fun" kids made her deaf to me. Not good.
I probably wouldn't have found it quite so hilarious if I hadn't just explained that they should never run or scream and every one of them did just that.

Hey Jax, I wasn't trying to traumatize them. In fact I had tried to inform them so they'd understand dogs better & hopefully not be afraid.
They came into the dog's field. It wasn't as if my dog just spotted them and gave chase. They approached us in the dog area. Maybe if they aren't familiar with dogs, are afraid of dogs, don't know how to act around dogs they shouldn't go into a field where dogs play.
Luckily my pup loves kids and loves to play. The kid's idea of what was happening was quite different than reality.

I'm so sorry that they were frightened.
Still... it was dang funny to witness.

I already started the basic training all over. Her recall is good. I wonder if the kids will let me practice while they run around screaming.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Now there is an idea for a money making business! We can rent children and cats to folks who wish to perfect their recalls! I better hurry up and get some grandchildren before somebody steals my idea........

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I think it's hilarious! It's so like kids, you know you tell them what not to do and then 5 seconds later, they do it. I would have loved to have seen that. I could have used you and your dog last night, I had a couple of kids that needed the Wazooka scared out of them, mwah hahahahaha.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I do find your rationale very disturbing. More so than the incident itself.

Am I a sicko to laugh about the sheer terror these kids showed while a 1 yr old puppy chased after them with a big smile on her face.

Since you ask -- yes. Or at least the logic you're expressing sounds sick.

This scenario is one of those that reminds me not to assume I can trust other dog owners to handle their dogs properly until I see reason to. For those children to not KNOW that she was a safe dog is exactly the point. I believe that a responsible dog owner is in total control of their dog at all times. If this means keeping the dog leashed near other people (especially children) - good. If it means using a remote collar on the dog for more effective recall - good. If it means avoiding dog fields/parks and other places where there is less ability to control and/or more complex variables to factor-in than can be handled until you've got recall down pat - good.

·
Registered
36 Posts
when i lived in charlotte nc i lived in a apartment i had a westie then everyone was scared of this dog the kids teased her and the grown ups were no better one night i opened the door to let her out to potty there was a bunch of families having a get together katie looked at me and i looked at katie and i nodded and off she went by the time she was done there we people climbing up trees jumping on tables spilling food running into houses and climbing fences i can not say they did not deserve it. they spent alot of time scaring this dog over the years for her it was therapy and justice then she stopped turned around and walked calmly as you can be back into the house with tail held high in proper terrier fashion.
that being said here is something to think about i would not let that happen now i have a bully and a mastiff type dog thoughts of bsl dance in my head amoung other reasons here is another one go to utube there are several pit bull attacks where in reality the dog in the beginning was playing it was the humans that did not understand alot of those dogs were shot things got out of hand and it was completely preventable your situation could have ended very badly

Ashley

·
Registered
669 Posts
I believe everyone learned a lesson. Glad no one had gotten hurt. But I think its funny. :)

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
THose kids will probably be terrified of big dogs now. Was probably funny at the time but hate to wonder what they will do to a dog now that they are scared of it. I feel bad for any stray they find.
Blame their parents for that then. Not some 5 minute encounter with a puppy with bad manners.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was chuckling while reading that, mostly because that would have been my 6 year old son. I tell him something and 10 minutes later he forgets a word I said and does the opposite. He would have been one to take off running(but wouldnt have screamed and cried).

Definitely time to work on the recall again. Tucker listens to me in our yard, but it will be a good year or two before I will trust him enough not to be on a leash at the parks. The biggest reason, you just never know how "well trained" kids or adults are. Adults can be much much more "untrainable" especially if they already have it in their mind big dog=bad dog

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I only found it funny because I know the type of ghetto children you're talking about.
They walk around with their pants down around their knees, littering, smoking and showing their general disregard for "authority" (only because they know it's illegal to hit them) but they're suddently not so tough when they think they're about to lose a chunk of their butt :D

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
We are talking about 8-10 year old kids who ASKED if the dog bites, etc.

This is infuriating.

kids are kids no matter what kind of ACT they put on. most people say you should not talk to strangers at all, but they should BELIEVE you when you tell them not to save themselves???

Grown men may not be able to stand like a tree when a dog is coming.

If these are Ghetto children, then they have probably seen a police dog, a GSD probably tearing into someone.

I can say in my mind that I should not do something, but my body and my fear might say something totally different.

We cannot EXPECT children NOT TO RUN FROM OUR DOGS.

If you do not have a dog that is accostomed to children running and screaming -- yep that is what they do, then do not have them off lead wherever there are children. Carry a long line.

Grab your dog, not the kid.

And laughing about it.

We already have a bad enough rap. We do not need any help on that score.

I am sure glad no one was hurt. If one of those kids fell down, you would have been liable.

1 - 20 of 179 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.